Exhibiting and COVID19

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
tmcsean

Re: Exhibiting and COVID19

Postby tmcsean » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:55 am

Last week II let a surveyor into the next-door house (empty and for sale). I masked up, and when he arrived with no mask he said it was unnecessary because the pandemic is over. He had one in the car so that was alright. but my point is that the daily figures of Covid deaths has been normalised by repetition. If instead we had a major train crash every day or a full 737 crashing once or twice a week it would be clear that measures have to be taken. I suppose it might help if MPs and ministers were seen wearing masks, but then again maybe not, given their current level of credibility.

It will be a while before I will be able to get to an exhibition, because my wife's immune system has been seriously compromised since February - and even longer if they are largely mask-free zones..

Tony

Will L

Postby Will L » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:48 am

Daddyman wrote:Actually, they work both ways: ...

The point remains that people need to understand that the primary purpose of wearing a mask is to protect other people from you. The more you caveat this with the more marginal benefits for your self, the more you give other an excuses for not wearing one.

People don't deal well with complicated messages. "Wear a mask to protect others" is unambiguous, simple and strait forward, to say nothing of leaving those who somehow feel it's their human rights that are being infringed with little left to stand on.

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:15 pm

Will L wrote:
Daddyman wrote:Actually, they work both ways: ...

The point remains that people need to understand that the primary purpose of wearing a mask is to protect other people from you. The more you caveat this with the more marginal benefits for your self, the more you give other an excuses for not wearing one.

People don't deal well with complicated messages. "Wear a mask to protect others" is unambiguous, simple and strait forward, to say nothing of leaving those who somehow feel it's their human rights that are being infringed with little left to stand on.

Fair point, Will. We're probably both aiming at the same thing.

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:22 pm

From Dec 4th to 19th, 'Britain's Largest Model Railway' (Heaton Lodge Junction) will be on show in Wakefield in a public setting. I would like to go and see it in action (I know where it is kept and have visited a couple of times but not to see it running). However, I am currently 'immune suppressed' as is Mrs Enigma so I am very wary about going. Very easy to get to, a 5min. bus ride (stop 100 yards away) and another 100 yds from the bus station into the venue - what could be easier? Under normal circumstances -Yes - but probably not now. I am extremely wary about even visiting the local club nights or area group meetings where I know and respect the other attendees. A public event like this is another thing as has been mentioned, there are a lot of numpties out there who seem to think everything is back to normal. It isn't!!

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:03 pm

Unfortunately this may decide these issues for us.
Covid: New heavily mutated variant B.1.1.529 in South Africa raises concern:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59418127

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:18 am

South Africa states now red listed; so quarantine required.

Beware Panicdemic reports from news outlets in search of another exciting news story.

Time will reveal the truth; meanwhile: Maintain hygiene. . .

Keep Calm
Carry On . . .

:thumb
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:21 pm

LesGros wrote: Beware Panicdemic reports from news outlets in search of another exciting news story.

He says, using a term straight out of the tabloids...

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:37 pm

Daddyman wrote:. . .

He says, using a term straight out of the tabloids...

If the cap fits. . .
:D
LesG

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:03 pm

Yesterday evening, my wife and I went to see a concert in Nottingham, that had been postponed twice since we booked it early last year. We elected to use the tram to travel in and out of the city center, parking being what it is. Whilst most of the audience in the theater wore face coverings, it was a different story on the trams as despite notices everywhere urging travelers to wear them very few did. The omens are not good.
Regards
Tony.
Inspiration from the past. Dreams for the future.

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:26 pm

Tony Wilkins wrote:. . . Whilst most of the audience in the theater wore face coverings, it was a different story on the trams as despite notices everywhere urging travelers to wear them very few did. The omens are not good. . .

Tony,
I concur it is disturbing; hence my comment about maintaining hygiene.
LesG

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:08 pm

Having just returned from a week in Rome, I have a slightly different perspective.

Coming from an environment of 99% mask wearing, and the use of a Green Pass for entry to public buildings, hotels, and most restaurants, then it seems that life is very normal and undisrupted. No one fails to comply, regardless of age or gender.

From what I've now observed in the UK, going through the airport last night, then shopping this morning, then the English are either extremely optimistic, extremely knowledgeable about pathogen transmission, extremely naive or extremely stupid.

Take your pick...

Cheers
Paul

PS - for fear of sounding hypocritical, I absolutely admit that I have not been behaving in the UK at Italian levels of compliance, which is why it came as such a surprise to see how widely respected the measures were by the Roman public.
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:39 pm

Paul Willis wrote:From what I've now observed in the UK, going through the airport last night, then shopping this morning, then the English are either extremely optimistic, extremely knowledgeable about pathogen transmission, extremely naive or extremely stupid.

Take your pick...

Very interesting, Paul and entirely consistent with what I've been told by folk I know who have been to other parts of Europe.

I think we all know which one to pick, I certainly do.
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

Winander

Postby Winander » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:13 pm

Mask wearing in shops and on public transport will be mandatory from next week, Bojo announced a short time ago.
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:17 am

Speaking personally one effect of the loss of exhibitions to covid thats took me by complete surprise is motivation.

It’s not about fear of infection or anything like that (as I’m amazed I haven’t picked it up from work yet!) but as a fairly regular (but in no way prolific) exhibitor I couldn’t be less bothered if I never exhibited my stuff ever again. It just seems like so much hassle and effort for no real point. (I admit I’m not a very sociable person at the best of times) I can’t be the only one who thinks this.

Perhaps I’m just out of practice?
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:07 am

You are not alone, in some ways I feel the same.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

johndarch

Postby johndarch » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:30 am

Me too, there comes a point where the hassle of packing, travelling, setting up and then doing it all again at the end of the show outweighs the enjoyment. I do find it a lot less stressful if I am operating someone else's layout (thanks Robin)! I think it's probably an age thing.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:33 am

I agree with Jim and Tim, it doesn’t bother me as much as I thought it would. Despite being very cautious here still, wearing masks and the like, we met with a group over last weekend and the majority, including us, have now come down with it. So it’s far from over.

Philip

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:50 am

I have the completely opposite view.

I have missed the anticipation when getting everything ready and packed for an exhibition, the excitement of meeting and sharing the experience with friends, old and new (as I normally meet a few ;)) and the general "buzz" that sharing our hobby gives me.

Packing up and travelling home is tempered by the happy memories of sharing the weekend socially and the expectation of adopting or experimenting with the new things I have learnt from the show.

I find that good exhibitions can often give me the kick up the backside I need and I return home reinvigorated and inspired.
I am looking forward to getting back in the saddle after a long absence :thumb
Steve Carter

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:43 pm

I have to say I agree with John, Tim and Jim. It probably is an age thing but having exhibited more times than I can remember - Middlepeak with Geraint, Clinkerford [ thanks John ], Brinkley with the Glevum Group and my own layouts Sheep Pasture and Barrow Road I made the decision a few years ago that I would rather invite visitors to my home to view Barrow Road than take it to exhibitions. The layout remains permanently erected and this avoids all the logistical issues with transport, set up and operation at exhibitions.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:55 pm

Philip Hall wrote:I agree with Jim and Tim, it doesn’t bother me as much as I thought it would. Despite being very cautious here still, wearing masks and the like, we met with a group over last weekend and the majority, including us, have now come down with it. So it’s far from over.
Philip

And Alexandra Palace today was crowded out with 90% NOT wearing masks so expect an increase in Covid affected railway modellers!
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:56 pm

Steve Carter wrote:I have the completely opposite view.

I share Steve's view. there were several events planned for the early part of this year which have been cancelled and a few that might have happened in the future so that was disappointing.

I was at the Great Electric Train show in October with a demonstation stand. The show was well attended and we had lots of very positive conversations with visitors. The same was true of Alley Pally as I have indicated elsewhere and the usual sort of exhibition buzz was very evident. Quite a lot of visitors commented that it was good to be able to get to an exhibition again, see the layouts and talk to traders and perhaps bend the plastic. Some people on here may not feel safe going to exhibitions and perhaps for some it is an age thing and that of course is vefy much up to individuals but it seems the vast majority of those who share our interest want to be able to go to exhibitions and are enjoying the fact that some are now happening.

Exhibitions do involve a lot of work and it can be a long and tiring day and having reached three score years + 15 I am now getting a bit long in the tooth and can get tired. For me the last two days have been wake up at 06.00, have breakfast, leave the house at 08.00 and then a drive of about 65 - 70 minutes to Ally Pally. Get home at about 19.00 and then get a meal ready. Tiring but in my view rewarding when you feel that you are helping people to further their interests and develop their skills.

Yes Covis is still about and we have to be careful. I did not wear a mask this weekend and there was sufficient space to move around at Ally Pally, even in the busy periods without feeling crowded or at risk. One or two people I know have contracted Covis recently event though they have been very careful and still wear a face covereing when shopping. They have certainly not been to a model railway exhibition. I took a bottle of hand sanitiser with me and made use of it and there was a lot more washing of hands that in the past and taking care not to touch handrails and door handles so hopefully things will be OK.

Like Steve I can get a buzz from attendng an exhibtion in any capacity and hopefully others will feel the same once they summon up the energy and perhaps the courage to do so. :)

Terry Bendall

stephenfreeman

Postby stephenfreeman » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:52 am

The virus is airborne, Omicron is very good at evading the vaccine, Cotton masks and such as the green surgical masks seen so much are a waste of time, Omicron only needs a small amount of virus to get through. The only masks currently of any use, which are easily available are FFP2 ones.

Still wearing them, in enclosed spaces and no, I am not even considering attending any exhibition, sheer madness in my view.

Covid has not gone away, far from it, the only thing stopping people (and not as much as some think or would have you believe) being very ill with it is the vaccine and that appears to be waning in effectiveness.

Winander

Postby Winander » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:24 am

stephenfreeman wrote:The only masks currently of any use, which are easily available are FFP2 ones.

I was told by a hospital consultant that the popular 'surgical' mask were about as much use as a string vest (remember them?). They were effective because most people wore them and they prevented the virus getting out of your mouth in spittle.

The FFP2 standard is European, the equivalent US standard is N95 and I have found them advertised in the UK using this description (notably by 3M). The 95 represents its capability to filter out a minimum of 95% of airborne particles of a certain size that my own investigation includes the dreaded plague virus. Which is not to say they are foolproof. You can go one better by buying N99.

Please do remember to avoid fingering the exterior of any mask as this is where the filtered material resides.
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Paul Cram

Postby Paul Cram » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:36 am

As I am going into school every day then I regard exhibitions as a lowewr risk.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:21 pm

Winander wrote:Please do remember to avoid fingering the exterior of any mask as this is where the filtered material resides.

That depends on whether you are breathing the virus out or in! Since we were told that the primary purpose of mask wearing is to protect others from an infection we don't know we have then the virus would be on the inside.
In any case you see almost all wearers fingering them, its almost imposssible not to as they don't stay in place without occasional adjustment.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Return to “Exhibitions”