Brexit and exhibiting internationally

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Alan Turner

Re: Brexit and exhibiting internationally

Postby Alan Turner » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:11 pm

bécasse wrote:One further issue for those such as Vincent contemplating bringing a layout into the UK for exhibition is that everyone will (from this Friday) need passports to enter the UK. That may not sound like a big issue to a British person, and perhaps it isn't for the Dutch, but speaking as a typical Belgian I don't possess a current passport, my ID card suffices to take me anywhere I want to go (except now the UK); I can get a Belgian passport rather more easily than I could get a British one but it would still cost me upwards of € 80.

And, as an example of another downside of Brexit, I have just obtained a copy of Aylesbury LNWR from Wild Swan. The cover price was £ 24,95, the postage £ 15,00 and the Customs' charges € 24,10, so the hike in postal charges is dwarfed by the addition of Customs' charges which wouldn't have been payable before Brexit. Naturally, I am delighted to hear of emerging problems in the UK, which get full coverage, much along the lines of "how could they be so stupid", in an incredulous Belgian media.

I don't see where your customs charges come from because goods below the value of €150 are exempt from such charges. Further VAT (if any) should have been charged at source (being below €150).

As for moving a layout into and out of the UK the thing that will probably cause a problem is what the layout has been made of. If plywood then that is OK but solid wood is subject to sanitary conditions above certain sizes.

regards

Alan

jon price

Postby jon price » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:18 pm

"As for moving a layout into and out of the UK the thing that will probably cause a problem is what the layout has been made of. If plywood then that is OK but solid wood is subject to sanitary conditions above certain sizes."

No the problem is caused because you are temporarily importing or exporting something with a monetary value, which could in principle be sold. This makes you liable under Import Export regulations. It is what happens when you take things to a foreign country. Unless that foreign country is linked to yours in a free trade zone of some kind.

I think I might leave the Scalefour Society to obviate the unnecessary burden of membership fees. I will then complain that I am not allowed into any future exhibitions at a preferential rate. I look forward to negotiating a reasonable solution to this unnecessary burden of entry fees with the Scalefour Committee.
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Winander

Postby Winander » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:23 pm

As mentioned earlier https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7620#p85631 it appears a mechanism is available but the discussion of it became sidetracked by assuming a layout to be a work of art. The web page referenced in the post above states "...works of art, cultural objects, or other objects for exhibition...". Note the inclusion of 'other objects', so the it need not be a work of art. The focus is the fact it is for exhibition and later it mentions that the object must be accompanied. I am sure that railway layouts can qualify on both counts and there is a link to a list of goods applicable that includes "professional equipment and goods temporarily imported for sole use at an international event not organised for the commercial sale of the goods, such as an official sports event, an international conference or a major film production." Regrettably it doesn't detail the mechanics of the process although "by oral and conduct declarations" gives some clue.

An ATA Carnet is the long established answer to moving goods across borders temporarily without incurring duty at borders. They are expensive, the London Chamber of Commerce will issue you one for £300 plus VAT, and they are valid for one year. They are not a new invention and were around long before we joined the EC in 1972 and cover more countries than EU members. They are reciprocal arrangements so should be available in any jurisdiction that accepts them.

The alternative suggested by the government website is a Duplicate List. There's scant information regarding it (https://www.gov.uk/taking-goods-out-uk-temporarily/duplicate-list) but it may merely be a mechanism to simplify procedures when the goods are returned to the UK as the associated form mentions "returned goods relief". So a foreign customs post may express interest in the contents of your vehicle.

Governments create rules which we call bureaucracy. Import duties primarily exist to protect trade and are not going to disappear altogether. The EU was clear when we negotiated leaving, no free trade without free movement of labour and capital. Given that mechanisms are in place to facilitate temporarily moving goods and equipment across borders without incurring duty, I doubt anything else will be forthcoming although it is possible costs may reduce.
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:34 pm

Winander wrote:
Governments create rules which we call bureaucracy. Import duties primarily exist to protect trade and are not going to disappear altogether. .............. Given that mechanisms are in place to facilitate temporarily moving goods and equipment across borders without incurring duty, I doubt anything else will be forthcoming although it is possible costs may reduce.

And British Red Tape is world-beating. Our home-grown Red Tape is infinitely more complex and more demanding in its requirements than anything the EU ever invented. Rule Britannia! And Ra, Ra the Empah!

Return to “Exhibitions”