Warley 2021 - CANCELLED

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Paul Willis
Forum Team

Warley 2021 - CANCELLED

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:22 pm

I know that people can regard the Warley Show at the NEC as the model railway equivalent of Marmite...

However, it's worth pointing out that it has just been cancelled (https://www.thewarleyshow.co.uk)

Derek noted this in his latest Eileen's update, and it deserves wider notice given many people's plans may revolve around it. The Society stand was planned to be there, and those of us manning it would have been looking forward to meeting many of you at the show over the weekend.

Another time, we hope...

Take care,
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Tim V

Re: Warley 2021 - CANCELLED

Postby Tim V » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:31 pm

I would usually go, but I had no intention of going this year.

I expect a lot of other people feel the same.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

kelly

Postby kelly » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:41 pm

Tim V wrote:I expect a lot of other people feel the same.

I have a feeling you're right on that to some point. We obviously won't know the full details, but if one of the traders, layouts or volunteers couldn't get enough willing to go it'd quickly become unviable for such a large and expensive show.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:08 am

kelly wrote:I have a feeling you're right on that to some point.

The Bluebell Railway held their Model Railway show recently on the weekend of July 31st/August 1st. I was there helping to operate Pulborough. The numbers visiting were well in line with previous years which suggests that there are enough people who want to visit shows to make most of them viable. Warley of course has significant coasts to meet so they might be an exception. The Great Electric Train Show is due to tale place in Milton Keynes on October 2nd/3rd and looks like it is going ahead at the moment so it will be interesting to see how that works out.

At the Bluebell, probably no more than 25% of those attending wore face coverings and standing behind a layout with 3 foot wide boards, at the usual operating position and with visitors a couple of feet away from the front - no barriers, I felt safe enough to dispense with a mask. A demonstration table might of course be another matter.

Terry Bendall

kelly

Postby kelly » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:15 am

Every venue and organisation will likely be requiring their own different set of requirements, regardless of that it is no longer a legal requirement.

The costs and cost risk for Warley is probably unlike any other UK show except the bigger commericial ones that can possibly take the financial risk easier.

Hopefully Warley 2022 will prove a return to form for them and help them bounce back financially somewhat.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

Return to “Exhibitions”