Scalefour North and Retford 2003

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Rod Cameron

Scalefour North and Retford 2003

Postby Rod Cameron » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:59 pm

In the process of having some old VHS home video tapes converted to DVD/MP4, I was able to extract some layout footage. Firstly, from Scalefour North 2003, there is coverage of Kerrin Basin, Lowburn Park (a little) and Ferring. Sorry about the others attending!

On the way home next day, Mike Ainsworth and I made a pre-arranged stop in Lincolnshire to see Retford, when it was still in a relatively early stage.

There will be some more of these but I only did a lot of video over a couple of fairly short intervals so don't expect a comprehensive coverage. I did have some coverage of the MRJ exhibition, but sadly the tape seems to have got into the wrong pile when I was having a clearout a few years ago - such is life.
Rod

timlewis

Re: Scalefour North and Retford 2003

Postby timlewis » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:00 pm

Thanks for posting that Rod - crikey, 18 years ago! I remember that, at the time, my intention was to get Coldstream up and running by 2007 - ha, bit out with that estimate! I'd forgotten that we had Dave Bradwell's (prototype?) K1 pulling my train of hoppers through Kerrin Basin. At least I've painted the hoppers since then!

Sandra Orpen

Re: Scalefour North and Retford 2003

Postby Sandra Orpen » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:42 pm

Thanks for posting the film of Retford in its very early days. It has come on a lot since and photos appear in the latest issue of BRM. However it’s nice to see how it used to look.

I purchased the layout last July and my hope is to finish it. For those who don’t know Retford is an EM gauge layout being an almost exact scale model of the real Retford (apart from gauge of course) as it was in 1957. It was built by Roy Jackson who unfortunately died in 2019. He started building it about 30 years ago and the total size of the model is about 70 feet by 35 feet. Retford is a town on the East Coast Main Line where it crossed the GC main line from Sheffield to Lincoln and Grimsby.

I have been a member of the Scalefour Society for many years and whilst I have built a number of locomotives and stock in P4 as well as a shunting plank, Retford will probably occupy my time from now on but I must say I have learned an enormous amount by modelling in P4 and I would like to remain a member of the Society.

Sandra

Return to “Exhibitions”