SCALEFOUR NORTH

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
BRUNEL

SCALEFOUR NORTH

Postby BRUNEL » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:57 pm

Derek Mathers, Scalefour North organiser, is available again to receive your questions, either here or by e-mail: scalefournorth@scalefour.org

Derek (aka BRUNEL!)

Allan Goodwillie

Re: SCALEFOUR NORTH

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:12 am

Hello Derek, :)

I was supposed to be showing my new layout this year at S4N, but due to Covit of course S4N was not on and the other exhibition it was supposed to be going to in Newcastle during November is also off. The layout is not finished, but would have been exhibit-able with a little effort for both shows, however I have stopped work on it for the time being and am concentrating on getting my Grayrigg Layout up and running again after a bit of a calamity last winter when the rain came through the roof of the garage and damaged the layout. The layout is getting a complete rebuild to get it back working again.

I was wondering, what are your thoughts about next year? My new layout was supposed to be exhibited from both sides as an island layout, but given the Covit situation, perhaps bringing it would be difficult for the operators to operate safely. The layout could be shown in a conventional way, but with one of the railways not operating (that would be the BR tracks) leaving the Wemyss system operable. I am maybe just unfortunate in that the layout design, being a little unconventional would not be fully functioning and leave the operators on the front for the viewers to get the best impression of the Yard - so not ideal I am afraid given likely restrictions.

If planning for a possible show next year I would suggest leaving my Wemyss layout out until things improve. However I can't be the only one in this position. Burntisland has half of its operators out front and even finding a good situation for a number of people to set up in a hall and do maintenance prior to a show may prove difficult.In the West Group we have a permanent base, but due to the restrictions we could only have access for two at a time, so any work at the moment is home based. So clubs are having to function in a virtual way presently. At least our Layout Starters Group all have layouts at home to work on and meet virtually as do the other two groups once a month.

If you are considering a digital show like Scalefourum this year, which I thought was very successful, then perhaps I could video Grayrigg, which I am hoping to have back up and running again by Christmas. Grayrigg being built in as it were, will never be out on the circuit. There must be plenty of other layouts out there, under construction or complete, but never able to go to a show.

As a separate issue my wife is not very happy with the idea of us going to shows until some sort of vaccine is developed - this must be a common factor for other members exhibiting and I was wondering what your thoughts might be on this.

There is also the question of having two distinct shows, both have distinct differences when attending, but less so when a "virtual show" and what are the possibilities of two virtual shows within one year, I wonder? I would hope that the S4N team would stay together as having a northern show means a great deal to those of us up this end of the country, even if it ends up with just a virtual Scalefourum next year even if on a larger scale. I would suggest that keeping our options open for future years might be best, but this is only a personal opinion.

I am sure I can't be the only one in this situation. and would be very interested to hear the views of yourself and other members of the Society.

Allan :)

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:46 pm

I'm sure Derek will be along at some point to reply, but I can say that given the rather obvious situation that we all find ourselves in, we did of course discuss Scalefour North at the last Committee meeting earlier in September (held via Zoom). This was just prior to the announcement of the most recent round of Government restrictions.

No decision was taken at that point to cancel Scalefour North, however we will review the situation at the next Committee meeting in November.

At the moment it may seem to many that it is unlikely that Scalefour North will be able to go ahead, but with over 28 weeks still to go until 17th/18th April it is very difficult to say how things will be by then and we do not want to call it off yet. As the saying goes, we live in hope.

On that basis Derek has been asked to continue to plan for an actual physical event to take place as scheduled.

There are no plans at present for there to be any further Virtual Scalefora, though of course, if anyone who is due to bring their layout to Wakefield next Spring wants to start filming it now, that might be a prudent precaution.

All the Best
Danny

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:15 pm

Thanks Danny, :)

At least we know the present position. Again we would like to thank everyone who was involved in the virtual Scalefourum this year. We had a zoom meeting of the West Group tonight and it looks like everyone spent the weekend watching it and thought it was excellent.

Allan :)

Return to “Exhibitions”