Cancellation of Scaleforum 2020.

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Lord Colnago

Cancellation of Scaleforum 2020.

Postby Lord Colnago » Fri May 15, 2020 12:58 pm

It is with regret that the Committee has decided to cancel Scaleforum this year.

The situation with regards to availability of accommodation and the ability to find somewhere to eat, whether our exhibitors would feel comfortable in attending and whether visitors would feel the same were factors in the decision but the principal cause for concern was how we would manage social distancing requirements within the context of the event.

I trust that members will understand these reasons, particularly in these uncertain times.

Stay safe and we hope to see you when the situation returns to normality.

John Chambers.
The second best priest

Captain Kernow

Re: Cancellation of Scaleforum 2020.

Postby Captain Kernow » Fri May 15, 2020 1:08 pm

It's very unfortunate but completely understandable and in my view, undoubtedly the right decision, so thank you for advising of this.
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

bevis

Postby bevis » Fri May 15, 2020 3:23 pm

Sad but not entirely unexpected. Thanks for letting us know.
Bevis

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Fri May 15, 2020 7:03 pm

I’ll update the rest of the website to reflect this over the weekend.

DougN

Postby DougN » Fri May 15, 2020 10:32 pm

I have to commend the committee for holding out so long. Here in Australia some of the groups I am involved with cancelled back in march all meetings and our annual get together.

I have read in the last week that it might be 2023 before international travel has gone back to a new normal. I hope it is not that long as that is when I might be able to make it to the uk next. Amusingly that is probably when I will be starting to see the bottom of the kit stash box!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sat May 16, 2020 11:13 am

John McAleely wrote:I’ll update the rest of the website to reflect this over the weekend.

Now done.

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Sat May 16, 2020 11:45 am

Thanks for the update John, and extension to the socially-distanced challenge deadline!

Perfectly understandable.

Jim Summers

Postby Jim Summers » Sat May 16, 2020 6:55 pm

The East of Scotland Area Group fully understands and supports the decision.
We would particularly like to thank all those who have been working hard towards this year's event, only to see their efforts set at naught by the situation - well, surely only at naught for this year anyway.

Jim Summers
Acting Secretary

alaninDM

Postby alaninDM » Sat May 16, 2020 7:18 pm

Dear All, This seems more than sensible.

If there are financial penalties in cancellation, I would be prepared to lob in some money into the coffers to reduce the impact. A realistic reward to a company folk who make my limited capacity feel that it is worth trying to try to attempt something rewarding for me. Not a try to make others embarrassed just a personal offer.

Alan

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sat May 16, 2020 8:39 pm

alaninDM wrote:Dear All, This seems more than sensible.

If there are financial penalties in cancellation, I would be prepared to lob in some money into the coffers to reduce the impact. A realistic reward to a company folk who make my limited capacity feel that it is worth trying to try to attempt something rewarding for me. Not a try to make others embarrassed just a personal offer.

Alan

Alan,

Thank you for a generous offer.

However, the Committee has been monitoring circumstances and discussing alternative approaches for a couple of months now. By acting decisively, when it became clear that a swift end to measures that would make holding a show almost impossible and certainly with increased risks to our members and visitors, any costs incurred will be minimal.

One of the main financial benefits to the Society of holding shows is the sales made by the Stores. Despite Scalefour North being cancelled, the heroic efforts of Jeremy mean that the Stores has contributed almost as much towards the Society's bank account as would normally take place in the spring. And of course, to all of the members who have reinvigorated their projects during lockdown. Thank you all.

Take care,
Paul Willis
Deputy Chairman
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Chris Mitton

Postby Chris Mitton » Sun May 17, 2020 5:28 pm

Flymo748 wrote:
alaninDM wrote:Dear All, This seems more than sensible.

Alan

Alan,

Thank you for a generous offer.

However, the Committee has been monitoring circumstances and discussing alternative approaches for a couple of months now. By acting decisively, when it became clear that a swift end to measures that would make holding a show almost impossible and certainly with increased risks to our members and visitors, any costs incurred will be minimal.

Take care,
Paul Willis
Deputy Chairman

I echo Paul's thanks to Alan for his kind offer, but we really don't need it. In fact, Paul is slightly on the high side - the upfront costs we've had to pay in advance of this year's Scaleforum total precisely, er....zero! As for Scalefour North, that was cancelled much closer to the day, so James had already paid out expenses to the princely sum of £33.66! I think we can afford that!

Having said that, I'm sure we'd all rather be spending money holding exhibitions and meeting up again.....soon we hope!

Happy modelling and stay safe,
TreasurerChris

David B

Postby David B » Sun May 17, 2020 7:34 pm

PeteT wrote: . . . and extension to the socially-distanced challenge deadline!

Jolly good. I might now find time to enter something.

Return to “Exhibitions”