SCALEFOUR NORTH 2020 - VIRTUALLY?

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
BRUNEL

SCALEFOUR NORTH 2020 - VIRTUALLY?

Postby BRUNEL » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:28 pm

How does that grab you?

It seemed to me a great pity that as well as losing Scalefour North we will also lose the AGM in June, at least as planned, and Scalefour South West in August, as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic. Notwithstanding the understandable disappointment of losing an enjoyable weekend in Wakefield, it’s clear that the time has been used constructively in various activities such as wood chopping and photography of ‘shelves of shame’ - as well as some great railway modelling of course! So, I have a suggestion to make. This has grown from an idea originally mentioned in a conversation with fellow member, Andrew Squib.

1. Invite each of those who were to exhibit layouts to write a short article (300-500 words) about it supported by a short video of it in operation and/or a set of photographs. The written material could perhaps draw the reader’s attention to features of particular interest.

2. Demonstrators could do something similar, describing and illustrating the techniques they were hoping to communicate over the weekend, including appropriate illustrations of work in progress.

3. Traders could use the opportunity to advise about the stock they hold, new products, and any supply or fulfilment difficulties, as well as advertising themselves.

4. Even the Crocodile Sisters could publish the mouth-watering bill of fare which they would have served! Or would that be too painful?

Each exhibitor in these categories will be contacted directly with further details. This should be within the next few days

All contributions will be published initially on this forum, and then gathered together and republished on other platforms elsewhere, in order to showcase both the Society and the fine-scale end of the hobby in general. At a time when all exhibitions have disappeared from our diaries until September at the very earliest, we need to let all railway modellers know that, as a Society, we are still lively, active and in good shape.

Derek Mathers,
Scalefour North Organiser (for 2021)

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Re: SCALEFOUR NORTH 2020 - VIRTUALLY?

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:15 am

Sounds like a good idea to me. Go for it!

Terry Bendall

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:39 pm

:thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb .... no where is the clapping emoji?
Tim Lee

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:47 pm

Thanks Derek - this sounds like a useful alternative to the real deal! I always enjoy S4N, but this year especially there were quite a few things in the lineup I was looking forward to seeing.

BRUNEL

Postby BRUNEL » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:28 pm

Thank you all for your encouragement. We'll just have to see what comes out of the pot. What has surprised me though is that there has been no comment about the 'bill of fare' item which I put in for that purpose!

Derek.

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:41 am

Derek,
The lack of comment is not really that much of a surprise at this early stage.

There will be many, like us, who are still coming to terms with the changes and adapting to the new reality of shield isolation for several months. The supply system is normalising but there are still some shortfalls in home deliveries.

:thumb Many are volunteering for a range of supporting activity in their communities; I salute them all.

I do think that VS4N 2020 is a good idea, worth pursuing in the coming weeks. :thumb

Best wishes, stay safe all,
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:00 am

Just saw this thread Derek. Great idea. Perhaps one day we'll be able to print out the Crocodile Sisters food on 3D printers?!

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:04 pm

I coordinate Open Gardens for the Cornwall Wildlife Trust whereby we open around 12 private gardens between April and September. Obviously these have had to be cancelled for the foreseeable future, but we are doing exactly as Derek is suggesting with 360* views and video clips of each garden accompanied by still images and a short description by the owners, uploaded to the CWT website but crucially, released on the date the garden would have opened. Perhaps if there is a good uptake on Derek's plan by the exhibitors, the release date could correspond with S4N weekend, and then be available thereafter on here and elsewhere?

Steve

Return to “Exhibitions”