7th Chris Kedgley Skills Day

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
David B

Re: 7th Chris Kedgley Skills Day

Postby David B » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:08 pm

My apologies for dropping out but if I had come with the cough I have developed, I have no doubt I would have been lynched (rightly so) and a lot more people would be coughing in a few days' time. Is it The Virus? - I shall never know.

If anyone has questions on resistance soldering or soldering little bits, drop me a line and I will do what I can to help. I think this Forum could be a lifeline for many modellers in the weeks to come.

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:41 pm

What a great day, plenty for everyone to enjoy and, as many others have already said, the opportunity to try and learn new skills.

Personally I picked up help and tips on mounting and quartering wheels, building and controlling signals with servos as well as weathering without an airbrush. I’ve just ordered some half rigger paintbrushes, something I had never heard off until yesterday!

So thank you to everyone involved in putting on a great day. :thumb
Steve Carter

David B

Postby David B » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:50 pm

It seems as though there will be a dearth of meetings like this in the near future where people can get first hand help, tips and guidance.

Could people share what they learned at Didcot, on this Forum, perhaps on a new thread? I am sure it would be appreciated by many, especially those who live too far from Didcot to have come to the day and others who find themselves in (self) isolation.

Steve: What was it about the half-rigger brushes you found so good? How are they used? Where have you ordered them from?

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:49 pm

David B wrote:Steve: What was it about the half-rigger brushes you found so good? How are they used? Where have you ordered them from?

A rigger brush has a very long and thin head. Apparently they are used by artists for painting straight lines. Half riggers have a shorter brush head.

I spent a very informative, and hands on, time with Mick Bonwick learning how to use one of these brushes with a dark wash (I used MIG but others are available) and white spirt to apply a fine weathering to a van side.

Here’s the method that Mick showed and then let us try.
Dip the brush into the white spirt then into the wash. Make sure that no ‘blobs’ are present on the tip of the brush by gently tapping the brush head on the neck of the bottle containing the wash. Touch the loaded brush tip onto some raised detail of the vehicle and allow capillary action to take the wash into nooks and crannies. Let the vehicle dry for about 15 to 20 minutes. Clean the brush head with the white spirt and wipe it to leave the brush damp. Now wipe the vehicle where you applied the wash using the brush head flat (acting like a sponge) to remove any excess build up/blobs.

It was a method I have not encountered before and I found it very effective.

I ordered some 00 and 0 half rigger brushes from eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-Arte-Mas ... jKgMA5bc9g
Of course other suppliers are available.

I hope that helps?

Steve
Steve Carter

Mick Bonwick

Postby Mick Bonwick » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:46 pm

A perfect summary, young Steve. Well remembered!

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:49 pm

Mick Bonwick wrote:A perfect summary, young Steve. Well remembered!

More like well taught Mick. Thank you.
Steve Carter

kelly

Postby kelly » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:50 pm

A very nice day and a great chance to learn a few things and so on.

I can't always get to the skills days as some are too far away, but this is the best I have attended yet.

Thanks to everyone involved.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:48 pm

For the person that asked me what the taper was on a wooden post signal, the following is an answer from the McKenzie & Holland catalogue (1893 - ish!) I have is:

• Single post wooden signals – 6” square at the top and then tapering out 3/16th of an inch for each foot of height (1.5% or so)
• Wooden doll posts – 7” square at top and tapering as before
• Main post for wooden bracket signals – 10” at the top and then tapering as before

Whilst it may well be that other companies and/or eras had slightly different tapers, my suspicion that you wouldn't be far out to follow this.

Mark
Mark Tatlow

Return to “Exhibitions”