Show attacked

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Phil O

Re: Show attacked

Postby Phil O » Tue May 21, 2019 7:14 am

The total raised so far is now in excess of £81000. A fantastic response, I must say, but I can't help wondering if such an amount will become a liability in being able to use the funds in an accountable and transparent manner.

Phil

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Tue May 21, 2019 10:28 am

Phil O wrote:The total raised so far is now in excess of £81000. A fantastic response, I must say, but I can't help wondering if such an amount will become a liability in being able to use the funds in an accountable and transparent manner.

A news piece today stated that the event was for a charity, the initial £500 sought was to offset lost revenue and that once the damage compensation was complete, the Balance would be given to a charitable trust.

Or to put it another way, in due course, the magnitude headache will lie elsewhere.

In my view, a sensible, step by step, way forward for the club.

Cheery,
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue May 21, 2019 3:59 pm

Jol Wilkinson wrote:Likewise, the provision made by show organiser will need reviewing, something insurers may look into.

Steps have already been taken in respect of Scaleforum but for obvious reasons they will not be made public. One of the downsides of the publicity is that all the low life who fancy an easy target for theft or vandalism just need to look out for publicity for their local show.
:(

Terry Bendall

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Wed May 22, 2019 12:20 pm

LesGros wrote:
Phil O wrote:The total raised so far is now in excess of £81000. A fantastic response, I must say, but I can't help wondering if such an amount will become a liability in being able to use the funds in an accountable and transparent manner.

A news piece today stated that the event was for a charity, the initial £500 sought was to offset lost revenue and that once the damage compensation was complete, the Balance would be given to a charitable trust.

Or to put it another way, in due course, the magnitude headache will lie elsewhere.

In my view, a sensible, step by step, way forward for the club.

Cheery,

Thanks Les,

Glad to hear that some of the good will, will be spread around useful good causes.

Phil.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Wed May 22, 2019 3:40 pm

Where did the ‘charity’ comment come from, Les? It’s just that in all the things I have read on RMW and elsewhere, including comments from the club chairman, nothing has been said about it being a charity event, merely the club’s annual exhibition. Perhaps I’ve missed something?

Philip

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Wed May 22, 2019 9:06 pm

"Philip Hall"wrote:
Where did the ‘charity’ comment come from, Les?

Daily Mail, Tuesday 21 May - Robert Hardman column, page 17.
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Wed May 22, 2019 11:21 pm

Thanks Les, I missed that. Something in one of the local papers in Spalding has appeared where a trust fund is mentioned as well. As you said, a way to administer the funds and to help other clubs faced with rising expenses as a result of this.

https://www.spaldingtoday.co.uk/news/ma ... -m97B7nS0Q

Philip

Return to “Exhibitions”