2019 S4 North

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Highpeak

Re: 2019 S4 North

Postby Highpeak » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:49 pm

It was my second visit to S4 North and every bit as enjoyable as the first. I'd like to extend thanks to all who made it happen, and especially Jeremy Suter and his wife for a very warm welcome at the Stores stand and Paul Gittins for very patiently answering my beginner's questions on chassis construction.
Neville
If at first you don't succeed, try reading the instructions.

Wizard of the Moor

Postby Wizard of the Moor » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:37 pm

The Walton-Evans Trophy for the visitor's favourite layout was this year awarded to Dewsbury, with Rolvenden coming second and St Merryn third. It was a very close vote indeed, with only two votes from 120ish deciding the winner.

Geoff Tiffany did the double by being awarded the Eileen's Emporium scratchbuilding prize for the buildings on Dewsbury.

Perhaps Terry's pools coupon had included an away win for the Buddies ;)

Many thanks to everyone who helped with, attended and took part in the show.
James Dickie

My workbench

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:35 pm

Highpeak wrote:It was my second visit to S4 North and every bit as enjoyable as the first. I'd like to extend thanks to all who made it happen, and especially Jeremy Suter and his wife for a very warm welcome at the Stores stand and Paul Gittins for very patiently answering my beginner's questions on chassis construction.

Thank you Neville, a pleasure to meet you. Glad you found it useful.

As I had both High Peak and Middle Peak visit me - where was Low Peak? ;)

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:45 pm

Had a good day. Saw some layouts I hadn't before and some I had. Spent a bit too.

Was particularly impressed with Midland Sidings.

Both times I stood there watching the operations it was flawless and earned my vote at the end. No stalls and prodding by Mr Hand, all slow, smooth starts and stops through several shunting movements. No issues propelling wagons through formations.

This is what I like in operation. Was highly relaxing and calming. The odd issue you expect once in a while but when it's flawless consistently the effect is most pleasing.

Anyway. Enjoyable show all round. :)
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:46 pm

Excellent show and great fun as always. Thanks to all who stopped at the Society Stand for a chat or to ask a question.

All the Best
Danny

IMG_0470.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG

DSCF2783.JPG

DSCF2786.JPG

DSCF2794.JPG

DSCF2799.JPG

DSCF2806.JPG

DSCF2818.JPG

DSCF2827.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ginger61

Postby ginger61 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:15 am

A very good show, as a first timer someone has managed to get me into their picture!!!! A rare feat indeed!!! :D Hats off to the organisers.
Nick.

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:16 pm

Knuckles wrote:Was particularly impressed with Midland Sidings.
Both times I stood there watching the operations it was flawless and earned my vote at the end. No stalls and prodding by Mr Hand, all slow, smooth starts and stops through several shunting movements. No issues propelling wagons through formations.

I too enjoyed watching much shunting on this model and agree it is reliable, which is a passion of mine.
I was itching to see stage 7 in their sequence which is the only occasion where stock goes down the hill to the canal key.

Due to working on Rolvenden, I never synchronised my off duty shift with Sequence 7. Had the same problem last time I saw it :(

Please can we see more use of the hill?

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:59 pm

I must say I agree with Paul and Gavin, though I was lucky enough to see the hill in operation several times. As well as the reliability and believability of the operating (and I think all the layouts were commendable in these respects but this is all the more challenging where shunting of wagons is the main focus) I enjoyed the sheer ambition and imagination of the whole concept, all the more for its successful realisation yet done within a really quite compressed area. The complexity of the track plan, the gradients - and even a change of gradient midway though interlaced points! - happily stretch my ideas of what is possible in P4. Add in the prototypical operation and signalling (to be expected perhaps with Westinghouse the club name) plus a variety of interesting passenger trains passing at the back, all within a completely believable capture of the drab industrial canalside scene, it was a winner for me too.

I enjoyed all of them though. The little one with 00 on the upper level at the back was another interesting concept. I wonder how long it would have taken me to realise that part was not P4 if they had used SMP or other Code 75 track and a handmade or even Peco "finescale" turnout. As it was the Code 100 rail was a bit of a giveaway.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:59 pm

nigelcliffe wrote:Is Terry studying the results on his pools coupon ?

It was probably studying the instructions for the Masokits BR3 type rail fixings which arrived just before I left home to drive up to Wakefield. If Michael had told me he was going to take a picture I could have charged him the appearance fee. :)

As always it was a very good show although being on a demonstration stand meant that there was not much time to look at things. The Walton-Evans trophy was very well deserved by Geoff and his layout which I know has contributions from others as well. So many small fine details to take in which even in its unfinished form warrant a closer look.

Terry Bendall

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:19 am

The organizers of the show did a terrific job. I'm sorry to bore them, I'm wondering who to contact to see if I could have left a pair of glasses in a black case left anywhere at the show on the Sunday. Unlikely to be around after all this time, obviously.

jasp

Postby jasp » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:08 pm

Julian
In the members’ section there is an email address for the S4 North organiser - James Dickie
Jim P

Wizard of the Moor

Postby Wizard of the Moor » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:34 pm

Sorry, Julian, no glasses were handed in to the stewards. We did find a hearing aid a couple of years back...
James Dickie

My workbench

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Fri May 03, 2019 11:46 am

Many thanks for your help, Jim and James. :thumb

Return to “Exhibitions”