Scaleforum 2019 - the social side

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
chrisf

Re: Scaleforum 2019 - the social side

Postby chrisf » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:58 pm

Here is an update, now that my holiday has worn off.

The list of venues for evening entertainment, ie pubs and restaurants, in and around Aylesbury over Scaleforum weekend is attached to this post. I understand that it will also be included in the S4um show guide. If a favourite haunt of yours has been omitted, please feel free to share details below. The selection was done by David Lane, who as a resident of Aylesbury is more than qualified to identify decent places. Yes, I know, it depends what you mean by decent!

On the evening of Saturday 28th September I propose to book a table at the Old Millwrights Arms in Walton Road. This is the nearest pub restaurant within stumbling distance of my accommodation! I am pleased to say that there are already some takers for seats round the table but more can be accommodated. I know only too well what it is like to be in a strange town - though Aylesbury is by no means as strange as some! - with nothing to do except to wander lonely as a cloud and watch Casualty in your hotel room, plus or minus takeaway. If anyone is still at a loose end and fancies joining us, please feel free to PM me.

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:43 pm

Chris,

Thanks for doing this. I'm sure that it will be a great help to visitors to Scaleforum (apart from the Bristol Area Group, who traditionally just need pointing at the nearest curry house...).

I see that you've added feedback on places that members have visited. I'd like to add to that list in regard of the Bell in Stoke Mandeville. We've been there a few times, for both lunch and for dinner. Both have been excellent. I recall that the price of beer is very reasonable too ;-)

It is actually in walking distance from the show, if you fancy something different to the sports centre catering on one of the days...

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:11 pm

I think that Chris has put a lot of work into something which has been very neglected.

Back in City University days there used to be the society dinner, a sit down affair.

These days it's 'come to the show' but nothing else. One of the big pulls for Scaleforum (for me) is the social side, and OK the Bristol group do have a thing about curries (and why not I say), but there is more to life than curry ( :o ) and others might like to do other things.

There was a story of a group of members of the society going to a night club ...
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:38 am

Flymo748 wrote:Chris,

Thanks for doing this. I'm sure that it will be a great help to visitors to Scaleforum (apart from the Bristol Area Group, who traditionally just need pointing at the nearest curry house...).
Flymo

"nearest" :( read aS "BEST" :D

Flymo748 wrote:
I see that you've added feedback on places that members have visited. I'd like to add to that list in regard of the Bell in Stoke Mandeville. We've been there a few times, for both lunch and for dinner. Both have been excellent. I recall that the price of beer is very reasonable too ;-)

It is actually in walking distance from the show, if you fancy something different to the sports centre catering on one of the days...

Cheers
Flymo

I do, so will try that walk, ta for the tip.

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:43 am

Tim V wrote:There was a story of a group of members of the society going to a night club ...

Oh, do tell!

Chris

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:33 pm

I've just booked what I hope will be a suitably sized table at the Old Millwrights Arms from 7 pm on Saturday 28th September. I hope those planning to join me will enjoy the experience!

Chris

kelly

Postby kelly » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:55 pm

I will have a word with natalie nearer the time and see how she feels about coming along.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:31 pm

I will probably go for a curry and join you later.

The Hop Pole is well worth a visit ten real ales and the food is pretty good too. I will be there on the Friday night.

JackBlack

Postby JackBlack » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:34 pm

I'll be up for beer/food on Saturday night, and I don't really know anyone aside from Ted who I'll be demoing our R/C stuff with both days.

I'm staying at the Innkeeper's Lodge at somewhere called Weston Turville (which looked close-ish on the map but seems to be about 5km away from the venue), planning to Uber around (assuming Uber works okay in Aylesbury (??).

Looking forward to it! Cheers, Nick

Nick Allport
CLAG

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:56 pm

There is no UBER in Aylesbury but taxis are cheep should cost around £5-6 to get back to Weston Turville, or £4 from anywhere in Aylesbury to anywhere in Aylesbury I tend to use Falcon 01296 580000.

There are a few new places that have opened in Aylesbury a Japanese resultant called Miya, the Craft yard, Zizzi and few other chain restaurants that have open close to the cinema in the town centre.

The best pub in the town centre is the Kings Head.

David

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:04 pm

If I recall correctly - always a big if! - Weston Turville was where much of the filming was done for "The Vicar of Dibley".

Chris

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:11 pm

No that was Turville and Hambleden a different place about twenty miles away.

philip-griffiths

Postby philip-griffiths » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:48 pm

Staying close to Wembley Stadium for the weekend, so will need to be aware of train times back into London, but willing to join a group looking for food after the close of events at Scaleforum on the Saturday.

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:49 am

philip-griffiths wrote:Staying close to Wembley Stadium for the weekend, so will need to be aware of train times back into London, but willing to join a group looking for food after the close of events at Scaleforum on the Saturday.

If all else fails there should be room on or near my table at the Old Millwrights [booked from 7 pm]

Chris

philip-griffiths

Postby philip-griffiths » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:25 pm

chrisf wrote:
philip-griffiths wrote:Staying close to Wembley Stadium for the weekend, so will need to be aware of train times back into London, but willing to join a group looking for food after the close of events at Scaleforum on the Saturday.

If all else fails there should be room on or near my table at the Old Millwrights [booked from 7 pm]

Chris

thanks for the invite. will need to see when trains are going back. There is only an hourly service going out to Aylesbury.

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:31 am

On return from a brief holiday I find that a vacancy has arisen at my table at the Old Millwrights Arms, Aylesbury, on Saturday 28th September. If anyone is still at a loose end on that evening a warm welcome awaits you - that's the idea, anyway. Send me a PM - there is still time.

Chris

Return to “Exhibitions”