Scaleforum 2019 - the social side

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
chrisf

Scaleforum 2019 - the social side

Postby chrisf » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:47 pm

Yes, you read that correctly. As a "reward" for a couple of inopportune comments about aspects of the 2018 social fringe, I have been tasked with looking into eating and drinking facilities - pubs, restaurants etc - which would be good places to go on the Friday and Saturday nights of the 2019 Scaleforum. We all have such diverse tastes that with any luck it will turn out to be a long list. It is the intention that the list will be published in Scalefour News and on this forum in good time for September 2019.

When I reviewed Scaleforum 2013 for Scalefour News I was given to understand that a list of refreshment outlets was issued to traders and exhibitors. That is fine as far as it goes but paying customers need to eat, drink and be merry too! Does that list still exist? If it does, I would be grateful for a sight of it, if only to compare it with the present situation. At the same time I need and will be grateful for recommendations of good places from satisfied customers as well as warnings of establishments which should not be touched with a bargepole. I do hope that the lists are not identical.

Many thanks in anticipation of your help!

Chris

David Bigcheeseplant

Re: Scaleforum 2019 - the social side

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:12 pm

As I live in Aylesbury, some places can be good one year then after a change of landlord are not too good while other places get better. Normally the Hop Pole is always good as is the Kings Head and the Millwrights is better than it was a few years ago. The Broad Leys, The Bell and Woolpack at Stoke Mandeville are good but more restaurant based. Curry Houses do vary and I have only tried one Chinese the China Brassiere in Fairford Leys which is rather nice.

David

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:22 pm

A good starting point can be found at https://www.visitaylesbury.co.uk/eat-drink/.

chrisf wrote:Does that list still exist?

Yes it does and it is based on the above web site. It is now a bit dated but I will send it to you in a PM.

Terry Bendall

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:27 am

David and Terry, many thanks to you both. We have a good foundation on which to base a new guide.

Thr next step is to solicit recommendations. It will help me greatly if anyone who has eaten or imbibed in and around Aylesbury in the past couple of years could post details, both of good places and of establishments which they would not consider revisiting. This is where we discover just how diverse our tastes are! I do not propose to publish the names of informants so you may speak freely!

Chris

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:24 pm

This post is by way of a bump. Much as I would love to investigate the fleshpots of Aylesbury single-handed, at my age one must be realistic. I need therefore to repeat my request for recommendations, both positive and negative, of places to eat, drink and be merry in and around Aylesbury to help me compile the list that I have been asked to produce. I do hope that it is not too much to ask.

Chris

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:37 pm

Hi Chris

what I may recommend now may not be on my recommended list by September next year, plus new places open landlords change etc. I do produce a list for Railex each year which I update before posting out.

David

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:09 am

David,
You make a valid point about change, but Chris would be able to produce a better listing if it were populated with members' experience of venues over the last few years.

Your pre-Railex list could then usefully refer to Chris's publication; with updating references where management reputation changes have occurred.
Alternatively, keep Chris abreast of any discovered changes as they occur.
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:54 pm

chrisf wrote:This post is by way of a bump. Much as I would love to investigate the fleshpots of Aylesbury single-handed, at my age one must be realistic. I need therefore to repeat my request for recommendations, both positive and negative, of places to eat, drink and be merry in and around Aylesbury to help me compile the list that I have been asked to produce. I do hope that it is not too much to ask.

Chris

My favourite watering hole in Aylesbury is THE KING'S HEAD, just off the Market Square. It dates from the 15th Century and the freehold is owned by the National Trust. It is leased to Chiltern Brewery, an independent brewer that produces a range of really excellent real ales.

The Farmer's Bar is a very pleasant venue, entirely free of muzak, juke boxes, gaming machines, etc.

They also do good food.

I have had no experience of other pubs in Aylesbury, but one or two might perhaps be worth a try (e.g. The Queen's Head, just round the corner in Temple Street, facing onto Temple Square).

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:45 pm

Martin, many thanks for your contribution - duly noted.

Les, thank you for your thoughts. I was indeed hoping for the experiences of members and we have now made a useful start.

David, I take your point. Any list can only be a snapshot in time for the reasons that you give. Can we work together, do you think? A good starting point might be for me to collate the information that I have, produce a list from it, send it to you, wait till you've stopped laughing and take it from there!

Chris

newport_rod

Postby newport_rod » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:07 pm

Chris,
For a meal I can recommend the The Seven Stars in Dinton a few miles outside Aylesbury http://www.sevenstarsdinton.com
Rod

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:54 am

Rod

Not one I know. Thanks for the recommendation!

Chris

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:28 pm

A couple of years ago, I visited the Hop Pole on Bicester Road, good grub and excellent beer.

Phil

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:34 pm

newport_rod wrote:Chris,
For a meal I can recommend the The Seven Stars in Dinton a few miles outside Aylesbury http://www.sevenstarsdinton.com
Rod

I had Sunday lunch at the Seven Stars this week. Very good food. Reasonable prices. Highly recommended, but I don't know what's on offer on Friday and Saturday evenings.

Booking a table is probably advisable. It seems to be very popular.

RedDragon

Postby RedDragon » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:46 pm

Do we have confirmed dates for Scaleforum 2019 as yet.

Sure I have seen it in one of the posts but cannot find it again.

Thanks

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:10 pm

RedDragon wrote:Do we have confirmed dates for Scaleforum 2019 as yet.

Sure I have seen it in one of the posts but cannot find it again.

Thanks

28th & 29th September 2019

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5909
Steve Carter

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:10 pm

RedDragon wrote:Do we have confirmed dates for Scaleforum 2019 as yet.

www.scalefour.org/scaleforum/2019: 28th & 29th September 2019

RedDragon

Postby RedDragon » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:08 pm

Thanks for the fast response, I can now book my holiday without fear of missing the show.

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:50 pm

While this thread is active, I ought to mention that hardly any recommendations have been notified to me. At this rate the list will fit on the back of a stamp ...

Chris

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:04 pm

Can someone also recommend a small inn or hotel where one could stay? Leatherhead had a super traditional English Inn down the road (Running Horses I think).

Is there something near the new venue? My wife and I are hoping to make the trip over in September.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:04 pm

nberrington wrote:Can someone also recommend a small inn or hotel where one could stay?

I cannot give any personal recommendation for hotels but I have listed below some of those in the local area. The list was prepared a few years ago so some may not be functioning now but it is a starting point. All of them have web sites so you can look on line.

When I am travelling which I do a bit for the Society I use the Premier Inn chain. The advantage is that you know what you are getting since they are all basically the same. There are usually some good deals to be had if you book far enough in advance

Terry Bendall

Hotels and Guest Houses around Aylesbury

A selection of hotels and guest houses in and around Aylesbury is given below. The Scalefour Society has no personal knowledge of any of these hotels and inclusion on this list cannot be taken as any recommendation.

Premier Inn, Buckingham Rd, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire HP19 9QL Tel: 08701 977019 http://www.premierinn.com In Aylesbury, about 1½ miles from the venue.

Premier Inn A41 Service Area, Stoney Lane, Bourne End, Hemel Hempstead HP1 2BS Tel: 0870 238 3309
http://www.premierinn.com Just off the A41 about 10 miles to the south east of Aylesbury.

Travel Lodge, Exchange Street, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire HP20 1UG 0871 559 1854 http://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/579/Aylesbury-hotel In Aylesbury town centre about 1 mile from the stadium.

InnKeepers Lodge 40 Main St, Aylesbury, Weston Turville, Buckinghamshire, HP22 5RW Tel: 0845 11 26 094 www.inkeeperslodge.com In a small village about 3 miles east of Aylesbury

The Hamlet B&B 3 Home Close, Weston Turville, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire HP22 5SP Tel: 01296 612660 www.thehamletbandb.co.uk In a small village about 3 miles east of Aylesbury

The Broad Leys Hotel and pub, 8 Wendover Road, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire HP21 9LB Tel: 01296 399979 www.thebroadleys.co.uk/ In Aylesbury, about ¾ mile from the stadium.

West Lodge Hotel 45 London Rd Aston Clinton, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire HP22 5HL Tel: 01296 630362 www.westlodge.co.uk In the village of Aston Clinton about 3 ½ miles east of Aylesbury

Red Lion Hotel, 9 High Street, Wendover, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire HP22 6DU Tel: 01296 622266 www.redlionhotelwendover.co.uk In the town of Wendover, about 5 miles east of Aylesbury

Dinton Hermit Inn Water Lane, Ford, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire HP17 8XH Tel: 01296 747473 www.dintonhermit.co.uk In the small village of Dinton about 2½ miles south of Aylesbury

House Fourtyone B&B 41 King Edward Avenue Aylesbury HP21 7JE Tel: 01296 483153/07749 396490 www.housefourtyone.co.uk

Ardenwood B&B 45, Walton Road, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, HP21 7SR Tel: 01296 484482 www.ardenwoodbandb.co.uk

Town House B&B 35 Tring Rd Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire HP20 1LD Tel: 01296 395295 www.thetownhousebandb.co.uk

Arngrove B&B 15 Vale Rd Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire HP20 1JA Tel: 01296 709961 www.arngrovebandb.co.uk

Bernie

Postby Bernie » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:55 pm

We stayed in this one and found very good;
https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels ... sbury.html

Very quiet, superb bed, pub next door and only a few quid to venue/railway station.

edit; Tel B has already covered it! Recommended all the same.
edit mkII the prices have gone up by 50%. Not good value if you only want to rent a room for the night as opposed to buying it.
Weekend rate seems on par.

Chris,
were there particular issues with the Millwrights? I thought it was good. Plenty of space, reasonable drink/snap (ok, myself and Fran didn't dine, and our choice of drink probably ruffled feathers), and the heads were decent. Let everyone else join in!

ATB,
Bern

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:40 pm

nberrington wrote:Can someone also recommend a small inn or hotel where one could stay? Leatherhead had a super traditional English Inn down the road (Running Horses I think).

Is there something near the new venue? My wife and I are hoping to make the trip over in September.

I can well reccommend Ardenwood B&B on Walton Road, excellent hospitality, off road parking and walking distance to the Stadium. Also the Millwrights Arms is on the same street and very good for food, real ale etc.

Steve

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:05 pm

I have stayed at the Town House, it's an ok place to get your head down, but it's a DIY breakfast. There is also limited off street parking at the rear.

Phil.

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:08 pm

Hotels in Aylesbury are not that good.

Thame is about half an hour's drive from Stoke Mandeville Stadium (about 20 minutes from Aylesbury town centre) where there are one or two reasonable hotels. The best is the Spread Eagle in the Cornmarket (but not cheap).

Another place I stayed once was Great Missenden - also a fairly short drive from the venue. I would recommend The Nag's Head which is a short distance south of the village.

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:21 pm

With a mere two months to go before Scaleforum I should give a progress report.

First, on the main thread I offered to do what I did last year, which is book a table and see what happens. I have already invited anyone who has nothing to do on the Saturday night to send me a PM and we'll sort something out. As I have received some PMs I had better do something about it, which I will when I have returned from a much needed holiday.

The list of places in the Aylesbury area in which to eat, drink and be merry has been updated. As it isn't just traders and exhibitionists who attend on both days, the list will be published so that punters can use it as well. As well as appearing in print there will be a link to it from this thread - again, when I return from holiday.

Chris

Return to “Exhibitions”