Scaleforum 2019

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Paul Townsend

Re: Scaleforum 2019

Postby Paul Townsend » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:25 pm

He should wear a red name-badge!

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:42 pm

David is staying with us before and after the weekend, so I’ll suggest we find something red when he arrives! I don’t envy him the flight, though, all in one hit...

Philip

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:50 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:
"two layouts that I have long wanted to see, namely the Ouse viaduct and Burntisland, particularly the latter as I have heard so much about it ... . I have also followed the threads on Alpha Mill and Glenmutchkin with a great deal of interest and am looking forward to seeing them as well. In fact, it looks as though this year's event will be the best ever. Of course, it is always a pleasure to catch up with my friends in the Scalefour Society as well."

The writer will be travelling a very long way to get to Scaleforum, about 10,000 miles. Hopefully those who live a lot closer will also feel that Scaleforum this year will be worth attending.

Terry Bendall

Gulp ... :o
Rod

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:09 pm

Rod Cameron wrote:Gulp ... :o

Tis indeed on the list https://www.scalefour.org/scaleforum/2019/
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:04 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:

The old Latin saying - Digitus Extractus ...
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:27 pm

Tim V wrote:
grovenor-2685 wrote:

The old Latin saying - Digitus Extractus ...

Yes, thanks Keith and Tim ... :roll:

My 'gulp' was not to suggest we were surprised to be on the list (as if), just the extra responsibility that someone was coming 10,000 miles to see it. (Philip, be sure to introduce David to us when you come!)
Rod

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:56 pm

Rod, David will be there on the Friday evening lending a hand with the setup. I’ll bring him over.

Philip

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:56 am

Rod Cameron wrote:
... My 'gulp' was not to suggest we were surprised to be on the list (as if), just the extra responsibility that someone was coming 10,000 miles to see it...

It makes my 1050 miles round trip drive seem pretty puny! :D
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:09 am

LesGros wrote:It makes my 1050 miles round trip drive seem pretty puny!

But it is still a major undertaking Les and it will be good to see you at the show. :D It might be the longest journey for anyone in the UK but other members may challenge that. :D

Terry Bendall

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:27 am

I'm almost embarrassed by my Chiltern railways return from Marylebone to Ayelsbury now :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Can't think of anyway to make this seem much of an imposition .... just looking forward to a great day out :thumb I even get out of the chores at home for the day :D
Tim Lee

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:15 pm

Just count your blessings Tim
:D
LesG

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:28 pm

Bumped posting:
philip-griffiths wrote:Dear Terry,
what tools would one need to bring if signing up for the track building seminars? It has an implication as to whether hold luggage is booked or not.
regards

Terry,
I too was pondering what tools would be sensible to pack for use at the workshops.
[ Not worried about hold baggage, but would like to leave my car parked at B&B at least on the Saturday]

What do the "tutors" recommend?
LesG

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:35 pm

LesGros wrote:I too was pondering what tools would be sensible to pack for use at the workshops.
[ Not worried about hold baggage, but would like to leave my car parked at B&B at least on the Saturday]

What do the "tutors" recommend?

Hi Les,

As set out in the July issue of the News (no, I haven't had time to read it yet either...):

"Those attending the workshops for the construction of the common crossing or the turnout blades will need to bring with them their basic track building toolkit to include as a minimum the few simple tools listed below:

● 25 watt soldering iron; soldering iron stand; solder and flux suitable for your preferred rail material;
● 8 inch or 6 inch second cut or smooth cut hand file; preferably with a file handle fitted;
● Smooth cut flat needle file;
● Small clamp-on vice;
● Suitable means of cleaning rail ready for soldering, such as a glass fibre brush;
● Template for the turnout that you would like to construct;
● Rail cutters;
● Ruler and felt tip marker pen;
● Set of track gauges to P4 standards including a crossing flangeway gauge;
● Scalefour Society crossing vee and switch blade filing jigs if you have them.

Please contact Terry Bendall in cases of any difficulties with the items listed.

Those attending the workshops for the construction of the Exactoscale turnout kit will need to bring with them the following:

● A craft knife or scalpel;
● A cutting mat or offcut of scrap card about the size of an A4 size page;
● Superglue;
● Cocktail Sticks;
● Blu-Tack or similar;
● Tweezers;
● Any P4 gauges you have;
● You may find it useful to bring a magnifying glass or headband magnifier."

HTH,
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

RichardS

Postby RichardS » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:59 pm

nigelcliffe wrote:
Tim V wrote:
nigelcliffe wrote:If you're going to The Scaleforum
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair
……….

Can I put this in the News?

Yes, if you want to use it.
It isn't that good - scope to improve the syllable stress patterns.

- Nigel

Come to this a bit late but I'd hesitate to include in News lest the lousy syllable stress patterns evident here become the subject of written/letter/email correspondence for the rest of the century. You know how some people get such a bee in their bonnet about syllable stress patterns. I mean to say....... :roll:

I didn't get where I am today by knowing anything about syllable stress patterns. (With apologies to CJ) :lol:

Truthfully though I did enjoy Nigel's brilliant lyrics (except for the.......)

R.

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:34 pm

Flymo wrote:
Hi Les,
As set out in the July issue of the News (no, I haven't had time to read it yet either...):
"Those attending the workshops for the construction of the common crossing or the turnout blades will need to bring with them their basic track building toolkit to include as a minimum the few simple tools listed below: ...
HTH,
Flymo

Thank you Paul,
:thumb I thought I had seen it in the forum, and not finding it there concluded that I had experienced, yet another, "senior moment". Such lapses are all too common, but having suffered from them, from time to time, for the last forty plus years, I have decided not to worry about it. :D
Cheerydoo,
LesG

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:33 pm

It has come to my attention that the Ouse Valley Viaduct is considered to be a bit of a myth, and that we are a figment of Balcombe's imagination. So to assuage these ideas, here are some pics from the last weekend (only about the 6th time it has ever been put up in entirety, and the last before Scaleforum). There will be some more titivation (oo-er missus) between now and then of course.

P1000022.JPG

P1000028.JPG

P1000029.JPG

P1000017.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rod

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:23 pm

Having the platforms pass through the tunnel is an unusual and interesting feature of Balcombe. Was the tunnel formed by 'cut and cover' or was the flank of the hill left in place to provide a route for the road over the railway? It's somewhat reminiscent of the 'Long Arch' at Midford where a minor road crossed the railway on a similarly skewed arrangement.

I hope to have an opportunity to see the model of the viaduct up close, but the railways must be conspiring against me this year: I couldn't get to the AGM in Woodbridge due to the replacement bus timings that got round a possession in the Ipswich area, and for the Scaleforum weekend a possession between Nailsea and Bristol is going to leave the line between Bristol and Taunton devoid of trains. The replacement buses would add no less than three hours to what would otherwise be a seven hour travel time for the round trip, so I shall have to see whether better times are attainable via the Berks & Hants, assuming I can get to Taunton to catch a train in the first place.

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:53 pm

John Palmer wrote:Having the platforms pass through the tunnel is an unusual and interesting feature of Balcombe. Was the tunnel formed by 'cut and cover' or was the flank of the hill left in place to provide a route for the road over the railway? It's somewhat reminiscent of the 'Long Arch' at Midford where a minor road crossed the railway on a similarly skewed arrangement.

Hi John, thanks for your comments.

It (platforms through tunnel) certainly is, amongst other things at Balcombe. I suspect the latter of your two options for the tunnel, but I'm not sure. I also wonder why, for the main station building, the LBSCR blasted out some of the cliff to squeeze it onto the platform rather than having the station building on the road above like Eridge, Newick & Chailey and others. The topography here on the model is a bit of a compromise because we had to slew the yard sidings a bit nearer the main line to avoid having unmanageably wide baseboards; we hope it doesn't end up looking too 'trainsetty'. John (Farmer) is a master of disguising such things with greenery ...
Rod

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:18 pm

Rod Cameron wrote:I suspect the latter of your two options for the tunnel, but I'm not sure.
Thanks Rod. Yes, I too thought that was the more likely option.
Rod Cameron wrote:The topography here on the model is a bit of a compromise because we had to slew the yard sidings a bit nearer the main line to avoid having unmanageably wide baseboards; we hope it doesn't end up looking too 'trainsetty'. John (Farmer) is a master of disguising such things with greenery ...
Judging by https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=51.0549&lon=-0.1373&layers=170&b=1 it wasn't much of a compromise, and the model appears to follow the ordnance plan quite closely.

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:07 pm

John Palmer wrote: it wasn't much of a compromise, and the model appears to follow the ordnance plan quite closely.

:D The most noticeable thing is the road alignment and how to deal with the cutting at the south end of the tunnel, especially given that on the layout the curve then swings west and not east. But hey ho. Most of the pointwork north of the station is about a foot further north on the model - this was to get all the pointwork on one board and allow another long board to contain most of the station and pair with it for transit. That was the theory anyway, it was a long time ago ...
Rod

Will L

Postby Will L » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:38 pm

Rod Cameron wrote:It has come to my attention that the Ouse Valley Viaduct is considered to be a bit of a myth,

Even though it currently features in the opening credits of Michael Portillo's "Great British Railway Journeys"?

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:28 am

Rod Cameron wrote:It has come to my attention that the Ouse Valley Viaduct is considered to be a bit of a myth

Well if it is, we have a lot of space allocated to a mythical layout! :D :D

John Palmer wrote:Having the platforms pass through the tunnel is an unusual and interesting feature of Balcombe

John's comment prompted me to get out the relevant Middleton Press book where the map above picture 20 shows the station area clearly. Certainly a long skew bridge could have been possible so the feature makes an interesting discussion point.

Rod Cameron wrote:The topography here on the model is a bit of a compromise

Again looking at the map, not a lot of compromise and one that helps to make the whole thing possible.

John Palmer wrote: I shall have to see whether better times are attainable via the Berks & Hants,

Alternatively perhaps someone coming by car can provide a lift. Worth asking around or on here. :)

Terry Bendall

philip-griffiths

Postby philip-griffiths » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:36 am

Rod,

was looking forward to seeing Burntisland, now I'm adding Balcombe to the list, well done on some great modelling.

regards

Philip - doing around 900miles via Heathrow, having managed to combine Scalefour with meetings in London in the week prior to the event :D

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:47 am

Terry Bendall wrote:
John Palmer wrote: I shall have to see whether better times are attainable via the Berks & Hants,

Alternatively perhaps someone coming by car can provide a lift. Worth asking around or on here. :)
Thanks for the suggestion, Terry, which quickly prompted the offer of such a lift from one generous spirit. Fortunately I don't think I need put him to that trouble, as a satisfactory train can be caught at Taunton, provided I'm passed to drive there by the time Scaleforum comes round - an eye op has taken me off the road for the time being.

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:03 am

philip-griffiths wrote:Rod,

was looking forward to seeing Burntisland, now I'm adding Balcombe to the list, well done on some great modelling.

regards

Philip - doing around 900miles via Heathrow, having managed to combine Scalefour with meetings in London in the week prior to the event :D

Oh for the good old days where my employer paid for such trips.....and in later years while self-employed when HMRC paid :D

I do find the ONLY disadvantage of being retired is that I have to pay to travel :(

Return to “Exhibitions”