Scaleforum 2019

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Paul Townsend

Re: Scaleforum 2019

Postby Paul Townsend » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:05 am

John Palmer wrote:
Terry Bendall wrote:
John Palmer wrote: I shall have to see whether better times are attainable via the Berks & Hants,

Alternatively perhaps someone coming by car can provide a lift. Worth asking around or on here. :)
Thanks for the suggestion, Terry, which quickly prompted the offer of such a lift from one generous spirit. Fortunately I don't think I need put him to that trouble, as a satisfactory train can be caught at Taunton, provided I'm passed to drive there by the time Scaleforum comes round - an eye op has taken me off the road for the time being.

i suggest that bod was not being generous but looking to split petrol costs :P

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:56 pm

Flymo748 wrote:
LesGros wrote:I too was pondering what tools would be sensible to pack for use at the workshops.
[ Not worried about hold baggage, but would like to leave my car parked at B&B at least on the Saturday]

What do the "tutors" recommend?

Hi Les,

As set out in the July issue of the News (no, I haven't had time to read it yet either...):

"Those attending the workshops for the construction of the common crossing or the turnout blades will need to bring with them their basic track building toolkit to include as a minimum the few simple tools listed below:

● 25 watt soldering iron; soldering iron stand; solder and flux suitable for your preferred rail material;
● 8 inch or 6 inch second cut or smooth cut hand file; preferably with a file handle fitted;
● Smooth cut flat needle file;
● Small clamp-on vice;
● Suitable means of cleaning rail ready for soldering, such as a glass fibre brush;
● Template for the turnout that you would like to construct;
● Rail cutters;
● Ruler and felt tip marker pen;
● Set of track gauges to P4 standards including a crossing flangeway gauge;
● Scalefour Society crossing vee and switch blade filing jigs if you have them.

Please contact Terry Bendall in cases of any difficulties with the items listed.

Those attending the workshops for the construction of the Exactoscale turnout kit will need to bring with them the following:

● A craft knife or scalpel;
● A cutting mat or offcut of scrap card about the size of an A4 size page;
● Superglue;
● Cocktail Sticks;
● Blu-Tack or similar;
● Tweezers;
● Any P4 gauges you have;
● You may find it useful to bring a magnifying glass or headband magnifier."

HTH,
Flymo

The only comment I would add as one of the tutors is that the vice need not be a clamp on type, mine isn't, but it does help sometimes.
Regarding the Template for construction, in view of the time factor on the day, for the crossing construction workshop I am in the process of preparing sets of pre-riveted timbers for the crossing area of a B-7L turnout. The template will be mounted on a piece of MDF board big enough to allow a full turnout to be constructed subsequently if so wished.
Regards
Tony.
Inspiration from the past. Dreams for the future.

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:43 pm

Gents - is there a bring and buy table again this year?
I have a few brass loco kits that I will never get to....

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:53 pm

nberrington wrote:Gents - is there a bring and buy table again this year?
I have a few brass loco kits that I will never get to....

There is Neil.

Details can be found here https://www.scalefour.org/shows/bringandbuy

All the best

Steve
Steve Carter

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:27 pm

I've just had the pleasure of updating the list of traders, and two additions have been made:

Acc+Ess Protocab

Powerbond Adhesives

Full details on the show page.

philip-griffiths

Postby philip-griffiths » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:22 am

Paul Townsend wrote:
philip-griffiths wrote:Rod,

was looking forward to seeing Burntisland, now I'm adding Balcombe to the list, well done on some great modelling.

I do find the ONLY disadvantage of being retired is that I have to pay to travel :(

employment not paying for this trip Paul. The people who want me in London for the meetings are, the rest is being covered by myself.

regards

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:01 pm

Some time back I posted the following about the track building workshops at Scaleforum. With just two weeks to go, anyone who wants to sign up for any of the workshops needs to book a place soon. For unavoidable reasons, Howard Bolton is unable to run one of the workshops and his place will be taken by Phil Tattershall. In addition, and mentioned in Scalefour News, there is also a turnout assembly workshop to be run by Tony Sullivan on how to construct an Exactoscale turnout kit which those attending will then be able to take away with them for a modest fee. Places on this workshop are very limited and it will not happen again anywhere. All the information about the workshops, inckuding how to book is on page 24 of Scalefour News 213 .

"Given the comments in another part of the forum, we are pleased to announce that two track building workshops will feature as part of this year's show. Track gurus Tony Wilkins and Howard Bolton have agreed to provide practical workshops on the making of the two key parts of a turnout, the common crossing and the switch blades. These will be run twice on each day and places, which will be limited, will need to be booked in advance. Those attending will also need to bring along a few simple tools. Details of how to book and what will be needed will be posted in due course. This will be a unique opportunity to learn from two of the experts in the field."

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:18 pm

What is the position on parking at Stoke Mandeville?

I believe the parking cameras are turned off for Railex, is that the case this September?
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

David B

Postby David B » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:03 pm

Tim V wrote:What is the position on parking at Stoke Mandeville?

I believe the parking cameras are turned off for Railex, is that the case this September?

Has been the case every time I have gone to S4um.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 pm

Tim V wrote:I believe the parking cameras are turned off for Railex, is that the case this September?

Always has been that way for the last 7 years and will be this year.

Terry Bendall

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:43 am

Has the stadium sorted out the lighting inside the hall?

David

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:07 pm

David Bigcheeseplant wrote:Has the stadium sorted out the lighting inside the hall?

Yes they have David. All new fittings and you can now actually see what you are looking at. :D

Terry Bendall

kelly

Postby kelly » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:24 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:
David Bigcheeseplant wrote:Has the stadium sorted out the lighting inside the hall?

Yes they have David. All new fittings and you can now actually see what you are looking at. :D

Terry Bendall

Great news. The lighting played havoc with my vision at railex.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:37 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:

Terry Bendall

..........and there was me busting my gut to get Glenmutchkin's layout lighting sorted last weekend!!!
Mark Tatlow

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:24 pm

Actually, I preferred the dark lighting at Railex.

It meant that those layouts that bothered to have their own lighting could better control their colour balance.

Being blasted with stadium lighting (it is a sports stadium, not an art gallery) does nothing for rendering colours on model railways.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:40 am

According to a post on the LNER Forum at https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13375&sid=3a392246ab7115b7f759b8bff1d7aa74, there will be re-surfacing work on the Wendover Bypass that may well involve the closure of the Bypass on both days of the Scaleforum weekend. For anyone who has planned to use that route to get to the event, it may be worth considering alternatives.

I hoped to find some moere information about these forthcoming roadworks on the Bucks CC highways website at https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/services/transport-and-roads/road-maintenance-and-repairs/road-treatment-programme/, but although there's a mention of such works on the 21st/22nd, I can see nothing yet to confirm that they will also take place on the following weekend of Scaleforum.

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:10 am

That appears to be the A413, not the A41, so those travelling around the M25 from the East shouldn't be affected. Other than, that is, by the usual clog up at certain times where the A41 dual carriageway joins the old Aston Clinton Road a couple of miles outside Aylesbury centre.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:03 am

John Palmer wrote:For anyone who has planned to use that route to get to the event, it may be worth considering alternatives.

The A 413 is the Wendover by pass and for those using the M25 from either direction the best exit is junction 20 which is the A 41. Regrettably the Society is unable to control road repairs. For those who do use the A413 the road through Wendover itself is fairly simple to follow.

Terry Bendall

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:59 pm

I've ordered my ticket for the show. Normally I get offered a QR ticket to print. I must have missed the option to do that this year. I assume I can bring along my receipt or is there a way of accessing the QR?
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:05 pm

Andy W wrote:I've ordered my ticket for the show. Normally I get offered a QR ticket to print. I must have missed the option to do that this year. I assume I can bring along my receipt or is there a way of accessing the QR?

Hi Andy

Near the top of your ticket confirmation email is a link to click to print the ticket you have purchased.
Any problems please email tickets@scalefour.org

See you in Aylesbury

Steve
Steve Carter

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:12 pm

Ticket sorted. Thanks Danny and Steve
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

ChrisMitchell

Postby ChrisMitchell » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:28 pm

Don’t think this has been posted on the forum yet

https://albionyard.wordpress.com/

Shelfie 2 won’t be appearing owing to personal circumstances

Best regards, Chris

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:10 am

ChrisMitchell wrote:Don’t think this has been posted on the forum yet

https://albionyard.wordpress.com/

Shelfie 2 won’t be appearing owing to personal circumstances

Best regards, Chris

That's a shame, I was looking forward to seeing this layout, but I wish Paul all the best and hope his issues get sorted out quickly.
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:23 pm

ChrisMitchell wrote:Shelfie 2 won’t be appearing owing to personal circumstances

Chris has beaten me to the announcement. Paul is unable to attend for family reasons and whilst it won't be my call in the future we hope to see the layout at some point. At this stage it is not really feasible to get a replacement. Apologies to all. :(

Terry Bendall

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:24 pm

Gotta admit to a raised eyebrow when I saw it listed. It's too similar to other layouts at the show just in 00.

I like the guest layouts but would rather that we as a society invite something different or unusual to what we do as a group. I hope we don't go down the route of inviting a guest layout for the sake of it.

Just my 2p

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Return to “Exhibitions”