Scaleforum 2019

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Scaleforum 2019

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:18 pm

I posted this information a couple of weeks ago under the News 207 thread but some may have missed that. So due notice is given that Scaleforum 2019 will take place on September 28th/29th 2019 at the Stoke Mandeville Stadium in Aylesbury. Boom the date in your diary now! :D

Terry Bendall

JFS

Re: Scaleforum 2019

Postby JFS » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:47 pm

Terry Bendall wrote: Boom the date in your diary now! :D

Terry Bendall

Duly done. Boom-Boom!

Regards,

ColinMcC

Postby ColinMcC » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:49 pm

I have, also, put the date in my diary.

I'm just hoping that it's not the last ever Scaleforum!

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:35 am

Duly, noted, but nearly had a coronary as I miss read it as 2018.

Phil

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:03 am

With Scalefour North out of the way it is time to give an update on Scaleforum 2019 which takes place on September 28th/29th at the Stoke Mandeville Stadium in Aylesbury

Given the comments in another part of the forum, we are pleased to announce that two track building workshops will feature as part of this year's show. Track gurus Tony Wilkins and Howard Bolton have agreed to provide practical workshops on the making of the two key parts of a turnout, the common crossing and the switch blades. These will be run twice on each day and places, which will be limited, will need to be booked in advance. Those attending will also need to bring along a few simple tools. Details of how to book and what will be needed will be posted in due course. This will be a unique opportunity to learn from two of the experts in the field.

Layouts that will be on display are as follows:

Burntisland 1883
Clackmannan Goods
Glenmutchkin
London Road
Ouse Valley Viaduct & Balcombe Station
P76 Engineering - Sentinel Street
Pulborough
Splott
Waterloo Street

Special guest layout Shelfie 2

Demonstrations will include:

Loco and chassis construction - Will Litchfield
Laser cut building construction including Building Alpha Mill - Ralph Robertson. Alpha Mill itself will be on display
Making use of older RTR models - Jim Smith Wright
Modelling air braked wagons - Phil Eames
Resistance soldering workbench - David Brandreth
Getting started in P4 - Gavin Clark
Coach Construction - Keith Bradbury

Traders will include:

Alan Gibson (Workshop)
Ambis Engineering
Attwood Aggregates
Bill Hudson Transport Books
Branchlines
Brassmasters Scale Models
C&L Finescale Trackbuilding Systems
Dart Castings
Dave Bradwell
Eileen's Emporium
Extreme Etchings/Shawplan
GW Models
High Level Kits
Hobby Holidays
Isinglass Drawings
Judith Edge Kits
London Road Models
Model Railway Developments
Mousa Models
Phoenix Precision Paints
Rumney Models
Roger Carpenter
Roxey Mouldings
RT Models
South Eastern Finecast
Stonybridge Structures
Tim Horn Baseboard
Wild Swan Books (Titfield Thunderbolt)
Wizard Models
247 Developments 2016

Altogether an event which cannot be missed.

Terry Bendall

philip-griffiths

Postby philip-griffiths » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:49 am

Dear Terry,

what tools would one need to bring if signing up for the track building seminars? It has an implication as to whether hold luggage is booked or not.

regards

ianpenberth

Postby ianpenberth » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:42 am

Terry Bendall wrote:Mousa Models
:?
Phoenix Precision Paints

and me :D (I know, you did say include...)
Ian
PenBits Model Railways - Diesel bogie springing and detailing

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:11 am

Terry Bendall wrote:two track building workshops will feature as part of this year's show. Track gurus Tony Wilkins and Howard Bolton have agreed to provide practical workshops on the making of the two key parts of a turnout, the common crossing and the switch blades. These will be run twice on each day and places, which will be limited, will need to be booked in advance. Those attending will also need to bring along a few simple tools. Details of how to book and what will be needed will be posted in due course. This will be a unique opportunity to learn from two of the experts in the field.

Thanks Terry (not to mention Tony & Howard for volunteering to do them!) - these sound excellent. I understand the principles for both, but the theory of how doesn't cover the easy pitfalls and how to avoid them etc. I look forward to hearing more about how to sign up for these when the time comes.

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:40 pm

It is worth noting that Glenmutchkin will be attending strictly in the category of "under construction."

Anyone who expect to see an even vaguely completed layout will be suffering a disappointment but it and its fairly numerous signals will operational with mostly correct stock - although whether I get the bl**dy turntable to work reliably remains to be seen!

I'll even get around to posting some progress reports here soon but if you can't wait for this, you will find out what I am up to on https://highlandmiscellany.com/

Mark
Mark Tatlow

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:02 pm

ianpenberth wrote:and me

Yes sorry Ian. Penbits will be present as will Prickley Pear Products. Time to give this job up I think! :D

Terry Bendall

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:09 pm

philip-griffiths wrote:what tools would one need to bring if signing up for the track building seminars

Not a lot and certainly no lathes, milling machines or laser cutters. :) The exact details to be confirmed, but probably a small clamp on vice, a few files and a soldering iron. Not much else but all will be revealed in due course.

Terry Bendall

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sat May 18, 2019 11:15 am

I thought that a bus service was not going to be offered this year owing to losses in previous years?

Philip

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sat May 18, 2019 4:49 pm

Philip Hall wrote:I thought that a bus service was not going to be offered this year owing to losses in previous years?

That is correct for Scaleforum. As Danny has said, if this enquiry relates to RailEx, that is nothing to do with the Scalefour Society. :)

Terry Bendall

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:50 am

A repeat post, just to make sure no one overlooks it.

For those who have not yet had a chance to read their copy of Scalefour News 213, pages 8 and 9 give an outline of what is in store at Scaleforum this year and include mention of a once only opportunity to learn some skills related to turnout construction. At the time the article was written, the tutors had not been finalised but they can now be confirmed as Phil Tattershall and Tony Wilkins. A further workshop will cover the construction of an Exactoscale turnout kit which you will then be able to take away (for a modest sum) so again something that is unlikely to be repeated.

Terry Bendall

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:53 pm

I didn't see MODELU among the traders listed so far. I hope they've been invited. They are continuing to develop interesting 3D-printed products, and I'm hoping to see what they have on offer in September, with a view to buying more of their excellent products.

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:06 pm

martin goodall wrote:MODELU

There is now a trading arrangement so Eileen's is the port of call for procurement, who are listed.

That said, Modelu is a separate listing for RailWells still, and as you say it is always interesting to see what is in development.

David B

Postby David B » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:30 pm

Modelu will be at Railwells but Alan has been cutting down on shows as he has so much else to do, the business going from strength to strength. Eileen's will have a range of the more popular figures but you can still order anything in any size on-line. If there is something particular you want, then I suggest contacting Alan to make sure he has them at Wells if you are going.

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:18 pm

I had been quite seriously thinking of going, but having read the programme I feel that there's not an awful lot of interest to me, and certainly not enough to justify the journey and expense. I do think that the format is getting just a bit "same old, same old" and that it needs refreshing, although I'm sure that many people will disagree and say that if it ain't broke don't fix it. The best railway show or event I have been to over the last year or more was the Linlithgow Skills Day which I thought was excellent. That, imo, is the way that society shows should perhaps be heading.

DT

bobwallison

Postby bobwallison » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:42 pm

David Thorpe wrote:I had been quite seriously thinking of going, but having read the programme I feel that there's not an awful lot of interest to me, and certainly not enough to justify the journey and expense. I do think that the format is getting just a bit "same old, same old" and that it needs refreshing, although I'm sure that many people will disagree and say that if it ain't broke don't fix it. The best railway show or event I have been to over the last year or more was the Linlithgow Skills Day which I thought was excellent. That, imo, is the way that society shows should perhaps be heading.

DT

I felt the same way about Scaleforum and Skills Days after returning from the joint S4/EMGS skills day in Ewell a couple of years back.

But then I realised that Scaleforum is itself a Skills Day - with the additional benefit of some excellent model railways to see and the very best of trade attendance. Or it's an exhibition with excellent model railways with the added benefit of .... (combine to taste).

Maybe a time will come when either the Society or the traders feel they can no longer support a big show in September, but until then I shall continue to enjoy the benefits of skills day/exhibition/trade show all under one roof.

Regards,

Bob

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:46 pm

martin goodall wrote: didn't see MODELU among the traders listed so far. I hope they've been invited.

David B wrote:Modelu will be at Railwells but Alan has been cutting down on shows as he has so much else to do

Modelu were invited but as David has said they are cutting back on exhibitions and declined the invitation. An exhibition organiser can only invite traders to attend, it is up to the traders to decide if they want to come. Some others have also declined to come.

David Thorpe wrote:having read the programme I feel that there's not an awful lot of interest to me

Most exhibitions consist of layouts, traders and demonstrations. Some have other attractions such as lectures or film shows. Scaleforum, as always will include the first three items listed. If these sorts of things do not appeal to members of the Society, then one wonders what will appeal. :o

David Thorpe wrote:The best railway show or event I have been to over the last year or more was the Linlithgow Skills Day

I did not attend that event but I am sure it was very good. However a skills day has a totally different focus to Scaleforum and for that matter Scalefour North. A skills day, as the name suggests focusses on learning skills. Some exhibitions will have a lot of demonstrations, something that happened last year at Scaleforum. This year the main focus is on layouts. An exhibition is not, and should not be, primarily just about learning skills but should also include other things.

David Thorpe wrote:certainly not enough to justify the journey and expense.

Fortunately there are still sufficient people (just) who think attending Scaleforum is worth the cost of the travel. Just this week I heard that one of our regular visitors, who lives in Australia, will be coming and I expect that another regular visitor who lives in Aberdeen will also be there. There will probably be others who live a good deal closer who will come. :thumb

David Thorpe wrote:That, imo, is the way that society shows should perhaps be heading.

What form Scaleforum takes in the future will not be my prime concern although as a member of the committee I will express a view on any proposed changes. In my view, if Scaleforum changed to something along the lines of a skills day, or something that is smaller, then those who travel long distances will be less likely to come, and there will be fewer traders who will feel it is worth while attending. If that happens then something that I think is important to the members of the Society will be lost :(

Terry Bendall

David B

Postby David B » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:55 pm

Terry Bendall wrote: In my view, if Scaleforum changed to something along the lines of a skills day, or something that is smaller, then those who travel long distances will be less likely to come, and there will be fewer traders who will feel it is worth while attending. If that happens then something that I think is important to the members of the Society will be lost :(

Hear hear. Layouts inspire modellers; demonstrators help and encourage; the trade supports the hobby. Having traders in quantity at shows is important for their future and ours as modellers frequently ask traders for guidance as well as wanting to see items to purchase. The interactions that take place are what keeps everyone going.

Skills days are important as well, but they are not as fulfilling all round, concentrating as they do on one aspect of a show. In that regard, they are extremely helpful to modellers.

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:49 pm

I reckon the social aspect is also important. Meeting old chums and exchanging reminiscences of the year's modelling successes and disasters.

Many of us learn a lot from web exchanges especially our superb E-Forum. However tinkling the keys only satisfies some needs!

Curry and ale is usually good too! At least two and probably 4 of BS4 group are staying over Sat night. At least another car load will be there for one of the days.

And I don't believe any of us are working there this year!

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:54 am

Paul Townsend wrote:And I don't believe any of us are working there this year!

There is always a need for more people to help with stewarding although it is helpful if anyone who offers to help with this job does not need accommodation. If you do help you get to see the exhibition for free. :thumb

Terry Bendall

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:45 am

Paul Townsend wrote:I reckon the social aspect is also important. Meeting old chums and exchanging reminiscences of the year's modelling successes and disasters.

I'm sure that's good - if you know people at the show and have "old chums" there. If you come from an area that has very few P4 modellers and as a result know hardly anybody at the show, and virtually nobody wears a name badge, then there is no social aspect. Going round the show may be OK even if there isn't much social interaction, but a lonely takeaway in your hotel room after the show isn't much fun. I have long campaigned for members at the show to wear name badges, but it has never happened. Until it does I think that the show might properly be perceived as cliquey.

DT

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:45 pm

David Thorpe wrote:
Paul Townsend wrote:I reckon the social aspect is also important. Meeting old chums and exchanging reminiscences of the year's modelling successes and disasters.

I'm sure that's good - if you know people at the show and have "old chums" there. If you come from an area that has very few P4 modellers and as a result know hardly anybody at the show, and virtually nobody wears a name badge, then there is no social aspect. Going round the show may be OK even if there isn't much social interaction, but a lonely takeaway in your hotel room after the show isn't much fun. I have long campaigned for members at the show to wear name badges, but it has never happened. Until it does I think that the show might properly be perceived as cliquey.

DT

Excuse me. Name badges are offered and many of us take them up!

Join an exhibiting group for grub and ale. Most would welcome you.

Return to “Exhibitions”