Workshop Wise South - Saturday 14th July 2018

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Steve Carter

Workshop Wise South - Saturday 14th July 2018

Postby Steve Carter » Sat May 26, 2018 1:24 pm

The South Hants Area Group, supported by the Scalefour Society and EMGS, are pleased to put on a modelling skills show.

A day of practical modelling demonstrations along with two outstanding layouts to view.

Saturday 14th July 2018

10:30 to 16:30

At Fort Widley, Portsdown Road, Portsmouth, PO6 3LS (one mile from M27 / A3 Junction)

Three rooms of demonstrations, workshops and models on topics including soldering, using an RSU, DCC, Templot, etched kit construction, RTR conversions, scratchbuilding, silver soldering and diesel period modelling. All subject to confirmation.

Light refreshments will be available.

ALL MODELLERS WELCOME
ADMISSION: £3 each Adult/OAP/Child/Member/Non-Member

Further details at http://www.shmrc.org.uk/area-group or email south-hants@scalefour.org
Steve Carter

Ray5311

Re: Workshop Wise South - Saturday 14th July 2018

Postby Ray5311 » Wed May 30, 2018 2:09 pm

Thanks Steve for opening this Subject, as the event manager I can add some more information as follows

Workshop Wise 2018 (South) is being shown in the South Hants MRC Clubrooms at Fort Widley. This is an old Palmerston Fort.

Unfortunately, these old buildings do not have lifts and the clubrooms are on the ground floor, but as the Fort is built on the side of Portsdown Hill and access to the Fort is on the first floor (above the clubrooms). There is only access to the Clubrooms using stairs (22 Steps). Sorry if this affects any prospective visitors.

On the good news side please see below a list of demonstrators.

The following Demonstrators are planned (Subject to change)

Soldering
Roger Sawyer
Big Room. Roger (The Secretary of the EMGS) will lead an interactive workshop between 11am and 1pm. Several workbenches with Irons and materials will be provided for ‘student’ to practice with. Roger will be available in the afternoon as a Demonstrator.
Resistance Soldering
Ray Hodson
Big Room. Ray will lead an interactive workshop between 2pm and 4pm. Several workbenches with RSU’s and materials will be provided for ‘student’ to practice with. Ray will be available in the morning as a Demonstrator.
From My Workbench
Phil Hall
Western Room. Phil will be bringing some models from the work bench of a professional model maker. Phil is always ready to discuss any aspect of his Modelling activities
Track Building
Tony Sullivan
Eastern Room. Tony will be showing and demonstrating his track building skills.
Locomotive Conversions
Paul Sager
Western Room. Paul will be showing a selection of the Locomotives from his Edge Hill Layout and demonstrating and discussing some of the tricks and processors to make excellent models
Scratchbuilt Wagons
Duncan Redford
Eastern Room. Duncan is presently building a Mixed Gauge Layout and will be demonstrating how he builds wagons from scratch.
Weathering & Wagon Loads
David and Alison Barker
Western Room. David and Alison are well known of the exhibition circuit. Today, as a new venture they will show us how to make some wagon loads etc.
Silver Soldering
John Worseley
Big Room. John has been a professional jeweller all his working life. Today his task is to show visitors that Silver Soldering isn’t difficult.
Etched Kit Construction
Mike Ainsworth
Eastern Room. Mike (The Secretary of the S4 Society) is a very experienced modeller. Today he will demonstrate some of his etched Kit models and give guidance on how he makes them work.
Diesel Period Modelling
Tom Silsbury
Western Room. Tom is a Professional Railway Man at work, but today he will be showing how he make models for the modern and not so modern period in S4
DCC
Nigel Phillips
Western Room. Nigel is an active member of MERG. Today he will explain and demonstrate DCC and how it works.
Templot
Phil Chudley
Eastern Room. Phil might be best known at this time as the man with the Lee om the Solent Layout. Another of his skills is Templot which he will demonstrate.

Layouts

Eastwood
Eastern Room. We hope to have trains running around this big S4 Layout for the first time in public, so you see trains running through before the layout is ready for the exhibition circuit….

Hope Under Dunmore
Western Room. Hope will be running with all the exhibition stock plus perhaps some visitors for this special event.

Societies Stands

EMGS
Roger Sawyer
Big Room
Scalefour
Mike Ainsworth
Eastwood Room

Refreshments
Big Room Teas, Coffee, Cold Drinks only, please Bring your own Food.

Bring and Buy Stand
The B&B stand will be limited to members sales from the SHAG group only, sorry. We should have a good selection of items for sale.

Regards

Ray Hodson
07710 591511
Ray Hodson

Ray5311

Postby Ray5311 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:25 am

Hi only five more days to workshop wise, as the show organiser I’m not panicking! I hope to have many visitors come and see us in Portsmouth at the weekend for more information see the websites .

Just a couple of notes for those coming to the show
1. we have no catering facilities we will provide hot and cold drinks. Very close by is a pub that serves food and as a visitor attraction on ports downhill where you can view the Solent there are a number of roadside cafe is burger vans if you so desire.

2. This event is taking part in the Southampton model railway club club rooms, unfortunately these are in an old fort and are down a set of 22 steps there is no lift or are other access. I hope this is not too much for people wanting to come.

3. Parking is a little bit of a problem if we have a large attendance. We will have access to some overflow parking in the grounds inside the fort on the grass please follow the signs if you need to park. We will put somebody outside with a high viz vest on to guide you.

Come on join us we have 12 experienced demonstrators and two quality layouts for you to see.
Ray Hodson
Ray Hodson

BryanJohnson

Postby BryanJohnson » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:27 am

The clubrooms are in an old what?

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:43 pm

BryanJohnson wrote:The clubrooms are in an old what?

I've been called one but I've never been in one!

Regards

Alan

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:21 pm

Alan Turner wrote:
BryanJohnson wrote:The clubrooms are in an old what?

I've been called one but I've never been in one!

Regards

Alan

I believe that it's a typo for "fort". The original posting suggested that this was in the clubrooms in a former military facility...

Post now corrected ;-)

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:47 pm

I spoke to Ray this morning and he was going to correct this tonight but it seems you got there first... it’s also in the clubrooms of the South Hants MRC, not Southampton. The perils of predictive text; I had to keep stopping this iPad doing what it wanted to rather than what I wanted typed...

Philip

Return to “Exhibitions”