Scaleforum 2018

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
chrisf

Re: Scaleforum 2018

Postby chrisf » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:34 am

chrisf wrote:
Seriously though, folks, I would still like anyone who will be around on the Saturday night and has not made arrangements for a chat/bite/pint to put their hands up and we'll see what happens. What I would like even more is to hear the magic words "would you like to join us?"! Heck, a guy can dream, can't he?

Chris

Update: we have one suggested venue, the Millwrights. David Lane tells me that the food has improved. Unless anyone - anyone! - comes up with a better idea I suggest we go with it. It seems that but a small proportion of those who will be attending S4um read this forum and we need to get the word out somehow.

Chris

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:57 pm

Bryan and I will need a feed on the Saturday night (preferably British outline for Bryan) so the Wheelrights sounds OK to me, especially if it's walkable. If you're booking Chris, put us down for 2 please.

BryanJohnson

Postby BryanJohnson » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:18 pm

I’m posting this in case any others may be in the same situation.

On Tuesday last week I booked myself into the Olympic Lodge at the Stoke Mandeville Stadium for the Scaleforum weekend through their own website. At the end of the transaction I received my confirmation showing full payment made with instructions to print it and show to reception on arrival.

Earlier this week, I noticed that there was no corresponding transaction against my credit card. I telephoned the Olympic Lodge yesterday to check all was OK.

This morning, I received an email saying that “due to unforeseen circumstances we are no longer able to honour your booking”.

My concern is that had I not noticed the missing credit card transaction, I could have turned up next Friday evening and been told that I didn’t have anywhere to stay.

I have tried to speak to the manager today to get clarification, but I only get voicemail and no return call.

Bryan (Johnson, not the one mentioned by Enigma)

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:25 pm

Ah, another one with a 'Y'. Obviously less rare than I thought ;)

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:57 pm

I've just checked the Millwrights website. They concentrate on pizza. Does this count as British outline?

Chris

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:40 pm

BryanJohnson wrote:I’m posting this in case any others may be in the same situation.

On Tuesday last week I booked myself into the Olympic Lodge at the Stoke Mandeville Stadium for the Scaleforum weekend through their own website. [snip] This morning, I received an email saying that “due to unforeseen circumstances we are no longer able to honour your booking”.

My concern is that had I not noticed the missing credit card transaction, I could have turned up next Friday evening and been told that I didn’t have anywhere to stay.
Bryan (Johnson, not the one mentioned by Enigma)

Bryan,

We have very recently been made aware of some issues with unavailability of rooms at the Olympic Lodge. This was reported by the indefatiguable Terry at tonight's Committee meeting. Some of the exhibition team have had to be moved from Lodge to the Premier Inn, further out in Aylesbury.

https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels/england/buckinghamshire/aylesbury.html?cid=KNC_Brn%7C_G_UK_UK_Eng_Enc_Brand%20Destinations_LO_Buckinghamshire_EX&mckv=sWYuZUAHP_dc%7Cpcrid%7C223609465910%7Ckword%7Cpremier%20inn%20aylesbury%7Cmatch%7Ce%7Cplid%7C%7Cpgrid%7C45371029859%7Cptaid%7Ckwd-303450145626%7C&gclid=CjwKCAjw8uLcBRACEiwAaL6MSddEgTlygZ6pp3tZx268793sN4318geYKIjmy2k5RHnK9DUTUVamcxoC4LMQAvD_BwE

If you haven't already found a berth, please do try this. From the show's budget which was also discussed tonight, you may even find that it is a couple of quid cheaper.

All the best, and hope to see you over the Scalefourm weekend.
Cheers
Paul Willis
Deputy Chairman
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:04 pm

chrisf wrote:I've just checked the Millwrights website. They concentrate on pizza. Does this count as British outline?

Chris

Adequately sufficient for me (and probably Bryan). He has been known to eat foreign on the odd occasion.

I do like a nice Calzone.

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:46 am

Morning all

I reckon the Millwrights is worth doing. I can learn to love pizza for one night! On past form, others will drift in after they have eaten elsewhere and although it will take a while for us to hit the 'convivial' level I think and hope that it is within our grasp. I'm staying at a handy guest house just round the corner from Tesco and if anyone else is staying there they can come too. As may all!

Pass the word, people!

Chris

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:21 am

Flymo748 wrote:We have very recently been made aware of some issues with unavailability of rooms at the Olympic Lodge.

This is correct but it only affected four of the rooms that we had booked and with a bit of juggling I solved the problem. All those who are due to exhibit at Scaleforum can be assured that they will have a bed! :D

BryanJohnson wrote:“due to unforeseen circumstances we are no longer able to honour your booking”.

Unfortunately this sounds it is down to the management of the staff at the stadium. The Society has had a block booking for all the rooms in the Olympic Lodge since October 2017. I will send a PM with contact e-mails.

Terry Bendall

BryanJohnson

Postby BryanJohnson » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:52 am

I've gone for my standard fall back of the Travelodge. A bit more expensive, a bit less convenient but I'll be at Scaleforum.

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:47 am

BryanJohnson wrote:I've gone for my standard fall back of the Travelodge. A bit more expensive, a bit less convenient but I'll be at Scaleforum.

I'll introduce you to your namesake.

Provided you introduce yourself to me of course :thumb

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:04 pm

Remember to wear your name-badges ...
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:01 pm

Tim V wrote:Remember to wear your name-badges ...

Brian.jpg

HTH,
Flymo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.5522models.co.uk

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:13 pm

Flymo748 wrote:
Tim V wrote:Remember to wear your name-badges ...

Brian.jpg

HTH,
Flymo

:D :D
Steve Carter

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:28 pm

Already ordered mine via the Titfield Thunderbolt bookshop (www.titfield.co.uk/ ) outside Bath.

Gordon A

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:33 pm

chrisf wrote:Morning all

I reckon the Millwrights is worth doing. I can learn to love pizza for one night! On past form, others will drift in after they have eaten elsewhere and although it will take a while for us to hit the 'convivial' level I think and hope that it is within our grasp. I'm staying at a handy guest house just round the corner from Tesco and if anyone else is staying there they can come too. As may all!

Pass the word, people!

Chris

Will you be reserving some places there Chris?

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:53 pm

Enigma wrote:
chrisf wrote:Morning all

Pass the word, people!

Chris

Will you be reserving some places there Chris?

I've never found it necessary in the past and I'm not sure that we will be that many in number. Perhaps a table for four from 7 pm?

Chris

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:34 pm

Is anyone travelling to Scaleforum from Marylebone on Saturday morning?
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:42 pm

MarkS wrote:Is anyone travelling to Scaleforum from Marylebone on Saturday morning?

I sincerely hope many are Mark.
Steve Carter

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:35 pm

I hope so too, I'm flying in from Toronto the day before, so might be jet-lagged!
I'll be the one looking like he needs a large coffee...
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:59 pm

Looking through my Exhibitor's pack for the show, I see that there are no refreshment facilities available for Friday evening set-up :shock: does this mean there will be no tea/coffee available for people arriving and setting up? Food I can understand, Terry has mentioned a fish and chip run early evening, but will there be no way of getting a hot drink during the evening? having travelled 5 or 6 hours to get there the first thing I'll be needing is a cuppa!

Steve

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:15 pm

Those planning on joining us at the Old Millwrights on Saturday evening will be pleased to know that a table for four has been booked in my name at 7 pm. The young lady who took the booking asked "Is that for food as well?" I wonder what she is expecting to happen?

Chris

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:42 pm

I should be at the Hop Pole on the Friday evening and may make it along to the Millwrights on the Saturday after our curry.

David

DaveHarris

Postby DaveHarris » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:29 pm

Having decided to make a weekend of it(with domestic authority blessing) i am staying out at the Innkeepers Lodge in Weston Turnville, could a 'newbie gatecrash one evening?

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:36 pm

DaveHarris wrote:Having decided to make a weekend of it(with domestic authority blessing) i am staying out at the Innkeepers Lodge in Weston Turnville, could a 'newbie gatecrash one evening?

Dave,

It goes without saying that you'll be welcome at any of the venues where the clans are gathering...

Just make sure that you say hello at some point. There will certainly be a fair crowd gathered in the Hop Pole on Friday to find.

Cheers
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

Return to “Exhibitions”