Railex 2017

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Noel

Re: Railex 2017

Postby Noel » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:59 pm

Le Corbusier wrote:I understood that on the Little Bytham portion of the main line the large pacific expresses regularly hit 80mph (and greater) and I think that this capability is one of the governing criteria for his model. Isn't this the portion of line where Mallard achieved the record?

Yes, on Stoke Bank, on a brake test special, not a service train. It also did itself some damage in the process. The high speeds by streamliners [the context for the test] and a few other trains were required to balance the enforced low speeds at locations such as Offord, Peterborough and Grantham [all altered since steam ceased] and any out of course delays. None of this is relevant to my point that only a very, very few trains achieved anything approaching these speeds in steam days [WCML and ECML electrics now do it day in, day out, as do IC125s]. The average was much more mundane. I don't think anyone working in P4 has produced a model of one of the locations where it could happen?

I have enjoyed watching Stoke Summit at shows, although watching a procession of trains doesn't normally appeal to me that much. I think the difference may well have been due to the efforts made to produce accurate train formations. The racing car starts out of the down goods loop did irritate a bit, though. Did the operators leave the power on and just change the points?
Last edited by Noel on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Noel

Noel

Re: Railex 2017

Postby Noel » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:10 pm

Le Corbusier wrote:Part of the joy for me of watching Clutton (and others) was how relaxed and in control everyone was ... allowing not only a great viewing experience but also the chance to chat companionably with the onlookers.

The trains on Clutton are driven from the back of the layout; the person out the front is the Clutton signalman, but has no driving responsibilities. Like most branchline signalmen the job has short periods of activity when some concentration is required, as the levers are all interlocked, but once the road is set you don't have anything to do for a while. The current team have quite a lot of experience on Clutton over a number of years; familiarity always makes operation easier.
Regards
Noel

Return to “Exhibitions”