Scalefour Southwest at Railwells 2016

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
John McAleely
Web Team

Scalefour Southwest at Railwells 2016

Postby John McAleely » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:02 pm

I've just completed posting details for Scalefour Southwest at Railwells 2016 on our website.

I understand that there is a new bus option from Bristol this year, which improves the public transport options for getting to the show.

It is only a few weeks away now, so I hope you enjoy a visit!

Tim V

Re: Scalefour Southwest at Railwells 2016

Postby Tim V » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:09 am

What new bus option is that?

The 376 that leaves from the bottom of Temple Meads ramp has some new double deckers - looking forward to travelling on one.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:04 am

Ah, is it just new busses, because it was the 376 (I was supplied a photo) I was referring to.

It appears to be a half hourly service, so quite convenient.

Noel

Postby Noel » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:40 am

John McAleely wrote:It appears to be a half hourly service, so quite convenient.

Yes, but check the times of your return to Bristol, as the service reduces in frequency at about the time the show closes, and the return service uses a different route through Wells, which means a longer walk to the relevant stop. Timetable https://www.firstgroup.com/bristol-bath-and-west/plan-journey/timetables/?operator=3&service=376&page=1&redirect=no. At least the double deckers should reduce the overcrowding the route used to suffer from.
Regards
Noel

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:26 am

Noel wrote:Yes, but check the times of your return to Bristol, as the service reduces in frequency at about the time the show closes,

Thanks Noel. From the notes I've been supplied, the schedule is broken for one slot (17.00) on Sunday. Probably best not to be surprised by that, as you note!

Noel

Postby Noel » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:07 pm

It's not mentioned in the notes, but on Saturday, the show closes at 17:30, and the buses to Bristol leave at 17:32 and then 18:30...
Regards
Noel

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:15 pm

Thanks Noel. From the notes I've been supplied, the schedule is broken for one slot (17.00) on Sunday. Probably best not to be surprised by that, as you note!

I think I would believe the timetables linked by Noel that clearly show the frequency dropping to hourly after 17:30 on Saturday and after 16:30 on Sunday.
A single missing journey makes no sense.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:39 pm

Interesting. I'll add a link to those timetables, and revise the notes, probably in a day or so.

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:29 am

Not long now until Scalefour Southwest at Railwells 2016.

I will be there on the Society Stand and I look forward to welcoming many old and new friends.

Please come and say hello. :thumb

Steve Carter
Membership Secretary
Steve Carter

Albert Hall

Postby Albert Hall » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:30 pm

I'll be stewarding on the Sunday so will call in for a chat. If our esteemed President nominates me for teaboy duties again I might even bring you a cuppa.

Roy

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:11 pm

Albert Hall wrote:I'll be stewarding on the Sunday so will call in for a chat. If our esteemed President nominates me for teaboy duties again I might even bring you a cuppa.

Roy

Cheers Roy

Looks like we shared a similar Railway career path as well :thumb
Steve Carter

Albert Hall

Postby Albert Hall » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:40 pm

Steve

I did wonder about that HV vest! Look forward to swapping stories.

Roy

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:12 pm

John McAleely wrote:Interesting. I'll add a link to those timetables, and revise the notes, probably in a day or so.

Now done. Thanks to Noel and others for providing the updated information.

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:08 pm

A couple of updates tonight. Chris Challis informs me that a 3mm layout is now attending, and that the book vendor has had to change. There will also be a competition running (details on the door). A couple of additional displays are also listed. All these changes are reflected on the show page.

Additionally, Chris noted that next year is going to be Railwell's 40th, and if anyone has any early photos, they would be much appreciated. Chris can be reached via the Railwells website.

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:31 pm

Tonight we have the PDF version of the guide added to the exhibition page.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:06 pm

Unfortunately, due to a requirement to be at a model railway event elsewhere I am unable to get to Wells this year which is a great pity since it is always well worth attending. looking at the guide this year will not be any different in terms of the line up of layouts and other attractions. Chris always manages to pact a great deal into the space and things are always of high quality. Well worth going especially for those who may not have made it before.

Terry Bendall

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:37 am

Scalefour Southwest at Railwells has just opened and we are ready.
Looking forward to welcoming many today and tomorrow.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Carter

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:17 pm

Had a great day today, had to travel for about 3 hours each way but it was worth it.

What a lovely city (town to me!), so historical....with wells literally dribbling down the roads.

Exhabition was good, had a good chat with a few people and I much appreciated the opportunity to talk to Iain Rice as I have wanted to for quite a while, was very much valued, I only hope I didn't drone on too much! Sorry if I did.

Also a plus is the particular flywheels I wanted and a certain LBSCR Roxey Mouldings coach kit I have been eyeing for months were there so I nabbed them. Got the brake coach, if it all goes to plan I'll get the others.

Intermission was a bimble to the (I think Kings Arms) with my parents for a Sunday lunch and a couple pints of Tribute pale ale. Lovely stuff.
Anyway, great family day out. Long distance was very much worth it.

You could even see loads of fish in the ptominent moat
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:49 pm

Now at home from Wells and having a nice cup of tea after a very good weekend at Scalefour Southwest. Thanks to everyone involved in putting on another excellent Railwells.

This was my first 'solo' stint on the Society stand as Membership Secretary and we recruited one new member, one rejoining member and one renewing member. Welcome to our Society.

:thumb
Steve Carter

Albert Hall

Postby Albert Hall » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:15 am

Aching big time this morning from helping to load up all the cars and vans with everyone away safely by 1900. Another very successful event and I hope we lived up to our reputation of being a friendly show. Good to have put some more faces to names. All of the traders I spoke to said they had had a profitable weekend.

For myself on behalf of the Wells Railway Fraternity, I was pleased to be able to write a large cheque in favour of Railway Children for money raised by our various activities including our charity bookstall. The Mayor of Wells was commandeered to hand the cheque over to founder David Maidment.

Back to work at C+L this morning to unload the van. No rest for the semi-retired!

Roy
Last edited by Albert Hall on Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:02 pm

Gutted to have missed Railwells again. I knew the event was on as in I knew it was coming up but I thought it was after Scaleforum. So when I got home from work on Friday to see the July issue of Scalefour News had arrived, I sat down with a brew for a good read and to my horror saw that the show was on at the weekend. I was working on the Saturday {? if you can call working for GWR working} and the Sunday was helping my neighbor putting up a fence so NUTTS!. A great shame as there were tow S&D layouts I would have loved to have seen.

This will teach me to taking my eye off the ball or events list.

Dave

P.S. Any chance of getting everyone back next weekend as I'm off please.

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:04 pm

Weekend after would suit me better as I am (briefly) back in the UK then. Apart from (!) the GDSF there doesn't seem to be anything useful on, so a re-run of Wells would go down very nicely ...
David L-T

Albert Hall

Postby Albert Hall » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:09 pm

Not sure if the pace of life in Wells could cope with another major event so soon. Make sure it's in your diary for next year, generally the second weekend in August.

I think I know where you're coming from with GWR Dave. I seem to be working twice as hard since I retired from FGW.

Digressing slightly, is there a name for the new GWR green livery? For HST's we went through Inter City, Executive, Swallow, Merlin, Fag Packet, Barbie Doll and Dynamic Lines over the years. I refer to the new one as Austerity as it reminds me of post war GW unlined green totally lacking in imagination.

Roy

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:35 am

Serjt-Dave wrote: I thought it was after Scaleforum

RailWells and Scalefour SW has been on the second weekend in Augusts for a very long time. :)

Terry Bendall

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:23 am

dal-t wrote:Weekend after would suit me better as I am (briefly) back in the UK then. Apart from (!) the GDSF there doesn't seem to be anything useful on, so a re-run of Wells would go down very nicely ...
Ain't going to happen that soon so far as I am concerned ;). More than once I've spent a week running an engine at GDSF, and have also exhibited at Railwells, and I'm not sure which is the more exhausting! Even with the benefit of a full day's recuperation after bringing Burnham back from the show I'm still recovering.

There were in fact at least four, not two, P4 layouts depicting the S&D, so I don't know whether our ancient Burnham layout was one of the two Dave wanted to see. If it was, then maybe he will have an opportunity at some future date, depending on whether any exhibition organisers dare to accommodate our doglegged monster.

Return to “Exhibitions”