Scalefour North 2016

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Noel

Re: Scalefour North 2016

Postby Noel » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:47 pm

Tim V wrote:In all only one member of the Bristol group couldn't go, so that was twelve people at the show. Excellent show.

I think your maths has slipped a bit, Tim. :)
Regards
Noel

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:54 pm

I count 12 in this picture Noel!
IMG_7554.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Bulwell Hall

Postby Bulwell Hall » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:30 pm

Tim V wrote:I count 12 in this picture Noel!
IMG_7554.JPG

I rather think he meant that there was more than one that couldn't make it - I was not able to attend this year either.

Gerry

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:51 pm

Almost as cool looking as DRAG trips to Scaleforum - did you all stop over or did some do day returns Tim?
Rod

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:05 pm

Two were traders, the rest travelled up Saturday, went back Sunday via Butterley.
Tim V

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:12 pm

May I add my thanks to James and his team for a great weekend. I was kept busy the whole time apart from when Jim Summers appeared to offer us in the demo corner a few moments respite for essential maintenance (thanks Jim!) I learnt a few things from the visitors, as I always do, and EditorJames &Co. in the Green Room kept us well lubricated, so many thanks to them as well.

I had a relaxed drive back (apart from the last bit in the dark) and got in at 10.30pm. One of the best kind of weekends.

Philip

essdee

Postby essdee » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:30 pm

Have spent much of the day trying to remember all the various productive chats with folk; to whom had I promised what, or to do what, over the most enjoyable S4North weekend I can remember for a long while. Barely had time to absorb all the layouts in full, though the lovely Maryport & Carlisle stock on Port Solway (warm congrats on the layout award) stands out in my memory, along with Bob Hetherington's exquisite NBR 0-6-0 for Burntisland; the 21st Century's Ross Pochin? The nearly-full car park at five to ten was heartening on the Saturday, and I hope the traders benefited appropriately - 'fraid I put up a rather poor showing on that front, but the mail orders will be appropriately more substantial in due course.

Unbelievable that the Original Eileen's team started three decades ago, and it was a very nice touch to make the announcement and to have the birthday cake!

Once again, many thanks and well done indeed to James Dickie and his team on a superb weekend's entertainment; hope you enjoy a good rest and here's to 2017's show......

Best wishes

Steve

charles davidson

Postby charles davidson » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:00 pm

Many many thanks to the S4N organisers for a superb show. I have attended most years from the Horbury school era and in my opinion this was the best year ever - part educational, part wallet slimming, part catch up with old friends and always cheery. Well worth the 06.15 departure in the Saturday frosty dawn - 446 miles round trip but easier now that the A1M South of Scotch corner is nearly finished (course for Littleborough already finalised as well!)

Thanks again

Regards

Charles D

mickeym

Postby mickeym » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:50 pm

I rather like this photo so I thought I would share it with ya' all

oh and this one!

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:24 am

Like Philip I was very busy in my corner of the demonstration area and apart from 15 minutes or so for lunch I had no time to look around on the Saturday and only a few minutes for some essential shopping late on Sunday afternoon. As is so often the case the atmosphere at the show was very good and it seemed very busy throughout the opening hours. Thanks to all those who stopped by for advice and hopefully those who did will feel a bit more confident when using their machines. Having transported a large part of the contents of my workshop to the show packing up took a long time and fitting everything in, with the addition of the Society stand which had spent several weeks in Yorkshire, was interesting. A good job I did not have any passengers since the front passenger seat was also full of stuff. :)

An excellent weekend and many congratulations to James and the team for all their efforts on behalf of the Society.

Terry Bendall

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:31 am

As an exhibitor I had a great weekend and thought the show was one of the best S4N's I've attended. Apart from the late afternoons it always seemed very 'busy' which is always a good sign. What were the attendance numbers BTW?

And thanks to all the willing punters who 'had a go' and got a Polo and a sticker for their troubles - no matter what age they were. I had a 4 year old with his Grandad - it was the 4 year old who did the driving and very good he was too!

My credit card and wallet took an immense bashing. Mrs Enigma will have a fit when she sees the statement :o I blame the new layout for making me spend money on it.................... ;)

jasp

Postby jasp » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:48 am

Great show, great weekend.
I am glad that the show was such a, relative, financial success
Good to catch up
Joint Scottish Line Societies stand, plenty of interest.
Thank you James and Team with special thanks to Ann Dickson at al for an endless supply of coffee and buns!
Jim P

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:37 am

I went on Sunday, this time with Mum and Dad for a change and thoroughly enjoyed myself, moreso than the last S4 I went to.
Was nice to catch up and this time had some great convo's with people whom I have never met in person but have had exchanges here so that was good.

Found it rather funny at the Alan Gibson stand; there's me taking a good while rifling through some P4 wheelsets while the woman running the stall and me Mumzy are fantasizing and making pleasure moans over what ice creams and cakes they like! Bloody hilarious.

Also like many of us my wallet is much lighter too. ;/
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:01 pm

Surprised not to see a S4N 2017 thread on the forum. In addition, the publicity afforded to the event on the society's website is, to say the least, minimal. This has been raised, quite negatively, by non-members on RMWEb which doesn't really do the S4Soc much credit. Details of layouts and traders have been available (through S4News at least) for some time now so why hasn't the website - our window into and for the outside world - been updated?

Come on, a very large trick is being missed here. There's only a month to go and we want non-members to attend (don't we?) so lets have the info out there. No use bleating after the event that attendance by non-members was poor. West Yorkshire is full of railway modellers of all persuasions, lets get them to 'Kwegs' this year.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:10 pm

The basics are there! Have the organisers sent any more data to the webmaster?
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:16 pm

It was fully my intention to update the site this weekend. That's a little later than I like. Unfortunately I have been unwell, so it will be attended to later this week.

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:25 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:The basics are there! Have the organisers sent any more data to the webmaster?
Regards

Yes, Keith the basics are there but this close to the event the 'public' (ie, non-members) need more to tempt them to visit. Sorry to hear about John not being well and completely understand his situation - I've been there myself - and hope he can get the complete story posted soon.

Wouldn't know if James has sent anything. I would hope that by now he certainly has!

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:29 pm

Just jumped back to the start of the thread to experience a heady dose of 'deja vu', since things seem to have been very much the same last year. Presumably it has been open to anyone to initiate a SFN 2017 thread and tell the rest of us (particularly those like me who haven't a hope of attending) what a jolly good outing this event is, and how anyone who can actually go should pop along? And with a little bit of initiative one or more of those who obviously visit 'the other place' often enough to rail against its anti-finescale prejudice might even have raised a mention over there in an attempt to spread the word to the heathens. Then we wouldn't have had to jolt poor old John out of his sickbed, and could have left him to do more productive things, or simply to get better. Sometimes I feel we've lost the experience of being able to do things for ourselves, and have become genuinely disabled by waiting for everything to be spoon-fed!
David L-T

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:54 pm

dal-t wrote:.......... And with a little bit of initiative one or more of those who obviously visit 'the other place' often enough to rail against its anti-finescale prejudice might even have raised a mention over there in an attempt to spread the word to the heathens. .........

Like this you mean http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120202-scalefour-north-2017/#entry2627148
regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:07 pm

If James hadn't sent anything, the Guide wouldn't have been in Scalefour News 201.

All members have had full access to the show guide since since the beginning of this month. All John is going to do, when he's well enough, is to put the separate Show Guide from Scalefour News 201, which is in the members' area and put it on the show page so that non-members can see it (and we do understand that non-members may have wanted to see this earlier).

And this thread, in case anyone else hadn't noticed, is last year's - Scalefour North 2016 - anyone who wanted to could have sarted a new one for this year at any time they liked...

All the Best
Danny

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:09 pm

Tim V wrote:Two were traders, the rest travelled up Saturday, went back Sunday via Butterley.

I suppose it's about time we starting thinking about this years destination - I was thinking Apedale, but although they are open on Saturday 1st they arent open on the Sunday.

I enjoyed Butterley a lot, though it didnt seem to go down as well in the Great Western corners, nor those with new shoes...

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:11 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:
dal-t wrote:.......... And with a little bit of initiative one or more of those who obviously visit 'the other place' often enough to rail against its anti-finescale prejudice might even have raised a mention over there in an attempt to spread the word to the heathens. .........

Like this you mean http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120202-scalefour-north-2017/#entry2627148
regards

Also at http://www.westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/scalefour-north-2017.5855/

And http://www.modellersunited.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2601

Cheers
Paul Willis
Marketing Manager
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:17 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:

regards

Yep, good start by Paul and a bit of friendly banter thereafter - can't even spot any 'knocking copy'. I'm even more confused what the fuss was about.
David L-T

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:38 pm

dal-t wrote:
grovenor-2685 wrote:

regards

Yep, good start by Paul and a bit of friendly banter thereafter - can't even spot any 'knocking copy'. I'm even more confused what the fuss was about.

Part of it might be just timing. I started the various forum threads a couple of weeks later this year, even if they were still over a month from the show.

Last year I noticed that after a few initial comments, the discussion of S$N, and S4um for that matter, dwindled off with some weeks still to go. So there was very little visibility in the run-up to the show. If you start the conversation later, then it may be it runs all the way up to the show.

One thing is clear from this exercise: you can't please all the people all of the time! ;-)

Cheers
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:45 pm

I think it is time to move the discussion about S4N 2017 to a thread marked as such, and to lock this thread.
Tim V

Return to “Exhibitions”