Scaleforum 2016

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Rod Cameron

Re: Scaleforum 2016

Postby Rod Cameron » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:33 am

DRAG present (thanks to Simon Bass for video) the debut of the first(?) P4 clockwork loco on the test track. This was converted by Bernie Baker. I suspect the key makes it out of gauge ...

So that's it - I need to do my Triang Battle Space propellor-driven turbo car for next year.

https://youtu.be/doevegEmGNc

PS the button above the message pane for embedding YouTube links doesn't seem to work.
Last edited by grovenor-2685 on Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: youtube bbcode does work, see edit above, problem is that the syntax description is out of date as youtube chnged there link structure, instead of "after v= it should read after be/
Rod

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:50 pm

Fantastic! Surely this puts the DCC v Analogue debate to bed. Clockwork rules.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:54 pm

Rod Cameron wrote:PS the button above the message pane for embedding YouTube links doesn't seem to work.

I'll take a look

SHurst

Postby SHurst » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:34 pm

:o
"fantastic! Surely this puts the DCC v Analogue debate to bed. Clockwork rules"

Ah but it derailed on the start of a curve :( so that only leaves the "rigid/compensated/sprung" and "gauge widened /non gauge widened" debates to resolve..... : :twisted:

Simon

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:40 pm

The inner two P4 curves are also superelevated. 8-)
Rod

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:38 pm

"So that's it - I need to do my Triang Battle Space propellor-driven turbo car for next year."

That settles it, cannot afford to miss that! :D

Mike

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:08 am

At Scaleforum 2016 a number of people asked me questions regarding early Scaleforum events and whether as this is our 4oth Anniversary if this year's event was the 40th Scaleforum. The answer is no, but here, for anyone interested, are some details.

The Scalefour Society was founded at its inaugural meeting on 14th February 1976 held at Seymour Hall, Marylebone.

A 'Scalefour Get-together' was held on 23rd October 1976 also at Seymour Hall

The first Scaleforum was held on 29th October 1977 at Portland Hall, London Poly
The second Scaleforum was held on 28th October 1978 at the Commonwealth Institute
Then Scaleforum North and AGM was on 12th May 1979 at the Norfolk Gardens Hotel in Bradford then,
Scaleforum on 13th October 1979 at the Commonwealth Institute
Scaleforum on 11th October 1980 at the Norfolk Gardens Hotel in Bradford
Scaleforum on 10th October 1981 at the Commonwealth Institute
Scaleforum and AGM on 22nd May 1982 at the Norfolk Gardens Hotel in Bradford

Then the first two day Scaleforum was on 16th/17th October 1982 at the Commonwealth Institute
Then again on 8th/9th October 1983 at the Commonwealth Institute
Then for the last time Scaleforum North and AGM 5th May 1984 at the Norfolk Gardens Hotel in Bradford

Following that in September 1984 Scaleforum moved to the City University and a regular last weekend in September date

Scaleforum moved to Leatherhead in September 1991

and then to Aylesbury in September 2013 - This was actually the 40th event with the name 'Scaleforum'

So we have had 43 Scaleforums to date: one at Portland Hall, five at the Commonwealth Institute, four at the Norfolk Gardens Hotel, seven at City University, twenty two at Leatherhead and four at Aylesbury.

All the Best
Danny

dclift

Postby dclift » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:54 am

Now that I am back in Melbourne I have the opportunity to thank Terry and his team for a great weekend at Scaleforum. It was, as usual, fantastic and well worth the journey from Ljubljana where I had attended my son's wedding four weeks earlier. It was my third Scaleforum and my second at Aylesbury which is a great venue. As usual, I seemed to spend more time talking to friends, demonstrators, traders and the folk on the Society stand than looking at the layouts. In fact it was not until Sunday that I had time for a proper look at them. Everyone I spoke to was most friendly and helpful and I came away thinking that I had renewed old friendships and made several new friends in the Society. I must particularly thank Philip Hall for his hospitality and for driving me to the show and taking me back to Heathrow on Sunday evening.

The only downside for me was that the model of Ouse Viaduct could not be present as I had particularly been looking forward to seeing it, and might not get another opportunity. I would urge all Society members who live within five hundred miles of Aylesbury and have yet to attend a Scaleforum to make the effort to attend in the future. It is well worth it.

Thank you Terry.
David Clift.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:10 am

John McAleely wrote:
Rod Cameron wrote:PS the button above the message pane for embedding YouTube links doesn't seem to work.

I'll take a look

John, see my edit on the original, the syntax text can be changed if you can find it amongst all the 'english' text strings.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:20 pm

dcockling wrote:At Scaleforum 2016 a number of people asked me questions regarding early Scaleforum events and whether as this is our 4oth Anniversary if this year's event was the 40th Scaleforum. The answer is no, but here, for anyone interested, are some details.

Danny

Your list doesn't show a meeting "Scaleforum/convention/whatever" that was at an hotel near Heathrow airport.
Was that a P4 Socy event?
I was there but memory is a bit vague on details way back then.

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:40 pm

Hi Paul, yes this pre-dates the Scalefour Society and was a P4 Society event, although I can't remember the year.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:47 pm

Heathrow was the 4th P4 convention in Sept 1976. See Prototype 12 Previous P4 Conventions were at Caxton Hall 1973, Medway Suite Victoria Station 1974 and Seymour Hall 1975.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:44 pm

dclift wrote:The only downside for me was that the model of Ouse Viaduct could not be present as I had particularly been looking forward to seeing it, and might not get another opportunity.

John and I were very disappointed in having to withdraw it, especially in view of expressed regrets such as David's. But we are still convinced it was the right thing to do. In two years time we will make sure there is enough video as well as still photography for those who can't make it in person - not the same but ... Maybe we could FaceTime for you during the show?
Rod

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:07 pm

dclift wrote:Now that I am back in Melbourne I have the opportunity to thank Terry and his team for a great weekend at Scaleforum

Many thanks for your kind words David and it is good to know that you enjoyed yourself. Thanks also for the help that you gave in setting things up and clearing away.

Those who do the mechanics of putting the event together are really the "kit builders", who bring all the parts together to make the final model. It is the members of the Society. those who bring their layouts and put on the demonstrations, together with those who come along as visitors who actually make the event what it is, not forgetting of course the traders, many of who are members anyway. To continue the analogy these folks are the ones that do the painting and weathering that brings the "kit" to life.

I gather that someone remarked last weekend that our Society is one without a club room that meets three times a year. Sound like a good description to me. Scaleforum and our other events succeeds because they are a gathering of like minded people.

dclift wrote: I would urge all Society members who live within five hundred miles of Aylesbury and have yet to attend a Scaleforum to make the effort to attend in the future. It is well worth it.

That would probably include almost every member living in the UK and a fair number in Europe as well. :D

Terry Bendall

dclift

Postby dclift » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:17 pm

Rod Cameron wrote:
dclift wrote:The only downside for me was that the model of Ouse Viaduct could not be present as I had particularly been looking forward to seeing it, and might not get another opportunity.

John and I were very disappointed in having to withdraw it, especially in view of expressed regrets such as David's. But we are still convinced it was the right thing to do. In two years time we will make sure there is enough video as well as still photography for those who can't make it in person - not the same but ... Maybe we could FaceTime for you during the show?

Please keep the videos and photographs coming. Maybe I will be able to master Face Time given two years' warning, but regular updates on progress should be sufficient.
David Clift.

dclift

Postby dclift » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:24 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:
That would probably include almost every member living in the UK and a fair number in Europe as well. :D

That's exactly what I meant. If future events are as good as the two that I have seen at Aylesbury it is worth the effort to get there. Alas, Melbourne is just a little too far and the fare a little to high for an annual visit.
David Clift.

Return to “Exhibitions”