Scaleforum 2016

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: Scaleforum 2016

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:23 am

Albert Hall wrote:
Albert Hall wrote:
My eagle eye has spotted that we are still showing Dave Barrett's contribution as 'Chiseldon' and not 'Cirencester'.

The Scaleforum advert in MRJ no.249 which turned up today is still showing Chiseldon. Presumably too late to alter before copy date? Poor Dave must be getting right confused as to which layout to take.

Roy

Hi Roy,

Yes, I'm afraid so. The press releases went out far and wide a few weeks ago, on the basis of the information supplied to me. I can alter the various fora on which Scaleforum is advertised, but I'm afraid not the press.

Cheers
Paul Willis
Marketing Manager
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

decauville1126

Postby decauville1126 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:38 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:We regret to announce that the fine model of the Ouse Valley Viaduct and the nearby Balcombe Station will not now be appearing at Scaleforum 2016. The layout is the work of two people, Rod Cameron and John Farmer and for various very good reasons, which it is not appropriate to make public, they have been unable to make as much progress as they thought. Unfortunately the news that the layout would not be able to come came just too late for the exhibition guide which has gone to press.

Filling the space, and nearly as big will be the test track built by the Devon Riviera Area Group - DRAG to their friends, so we will now have the facility for test runs. The test track has three circuits built to P4 standards and one for OO and has the facility for DC and DCC control so there will still be the opportunity to test run that loco or even a prototypical length train at scale speed. The Society is very grateful to members of DRAG for being willing to fill the gap.

We apologise for any disappointment that this may cause and the layout has been re-booked for 2018. There will of course be many examples of fine modelling to see elsewhere within the exhibition

Terry Bendall

Thanks for the update - I've just seen a reference to the test track over on RMWeb and asked for clarification. But this explains.

PS Terry: Please make sure MR1381 comes back without P4 flanges .....!

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:22 pm

It's advantageous that there will be a Test Track at the show. The Reichsbahn contingent will be pleased :mrgreen:
That would be an ecumenical matter.

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:46 pm

I've updated the show page with the news above about Ouse Viaduct & Balcome Station, and also added the list of visiting societies.

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:02 pm

There is now lots more information on the show page. Full descriptions of the layouts, demonstrators and visiting societies.

guidecover440.jpg

The Show Guide (PDF) is also available there.

I have also uploaded bring & buy forms.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kelly

Postby kelly » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:48 pm

Looking forward to it. Will be there helping run the DEMU stand all weekend.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:59 pm

Those people who are local or staying for the weekend I can recommend a number of places to eat and drink.

David

kelly

Postby kelly » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:02 pm

David Bigcheeseplant wrote:Those people who are local or staying for the weekend I can recommend a number of places to eat and drink.

David

That could well be of interest for the Saturday evening. Found a B&B not far away for the Saturday night at least. Looking forward to an excellent weekend.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:53 am

One of the special features at Scaleforum in our 40th anniversary year will be the historical display of models and literature that is being assembled by Iain Rice. Iain has recently sent me an update of what he hopes to have available ....

"A selection of showcase models including work by Alex Jackson, Sid Stubbs and John Langham (EEM locos and stock from the Manchester Club collection) plus the Sid Stubbs wheel-making demo/display. We've also got historic P4 locos from Alan Goodwillie, Tony Miles/Adavoyle , Mike Gilgannon and Gareth Floyd and example locomotives and rolling stock from 'Dubbieside', Calder Bank, the North Cornwall Minerals Railway, Heckmondwke, Denyden and the East Suffolk Light Railway, plus odd items of stock using various compensation systems and vintage components.

One board of the late Nigel Hunt's 'Swaveny' layout, rescued by DRAG. It''s also a generation on from the 'pioneering' stage of P4, of which Swaveny is a true representative.

A table-top display of original/vintage P4 components, tools/gauges, templates and so on, plus some vintage part-built models/chassis and examples of original ply-and-rivet/Kings Cross P4 track.

A further table-top display concentrating on the literature of Protofour, including the seminal magazine articles leading up to P4, the promulgation of standards, the early P4 magazine articles and the Protofour Manual, plus monitors to display PowerPoint slideshows of early P4 layouts/models and archive material in scanned form.

A display of photographs, documents and ephemera from the Scalefour Society archive, curated by Rod Cameron, and from Alan Goodwillie"

Iain and other long standing members of the Society will be staffing the display and will be on hand to talk about what can be seen. This will be a unique opportunity to see what "fine scale" modelling was like when dinosaurs ruled the earth ( :D ) - or at least when many of us were a lot younger. The display will be set out so there is space to look at things and to talk to these staffing it and generally gossip about days gone by and perhaps even what the future holds.

Terry Bendall

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:05 am

I have just been informed that Adrian Swain is unwell which means that ABS Models will not be at Scaleforum this year.

Terry Bendall

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:37 pm

For anyone unfamiliar with the DRAG test track (aka TT2) here is a taster of what to expect. I'm pleased that at least one of us has lost a bit of weight since the earlier films ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF1O7p7yeEM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LpXPvuYjWc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWVQU-0sgvI
Rod

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:18 pm

Following an earlier request, the Bring and Buy forms are now available in Microsoft Word format. As ever, please do familiarise yourself with the T&C's listed there.

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:22 pm

DRAG's intrepid transport manager, Maurice Hopper, sets off for Aylesbury with the first part of the test track. Just 19 more to go ...

Rod

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:11 pm

Rod, I hope Maurice realises that it's booked for THIS year's show?
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:54 am

On the theme "Scaleforum is so bracing" from the original "Skegness is so bracing" over 100 years ago, I was rather alarmed to see the cartoon in the Sunday Telegraph this morning of Nigel Farage skipping down the same beach, naked, with the headline "Brexit is so bracing"
Please do keep him away from Aylesbury next weekend!

For anybody who is feeling they need to compare the pictures, the latest version is at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2016/08/31/telegraph-cartoons-september-2016/
John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:42 pm

I've offered to help out at Scaleforum this but I've managed lose the contact details of the chap who got in contact with me. Please can anyone involved with the organising side of things pass my cry of help over to those dealing with being stewards etc to get in contact with me please.

Thanks

Dave

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:43 pm

Hi Dave,

I've passed your message on to Terry Bendall.

All the Best
Danny

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:51 pm

I'm positive that Maurice could even take 2 modules if he stacked them correctly! :D :twisted:

He could do it in 10 trips!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Lord Colnago

Postby Lord Colnago » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:59 am

I thought this an appropriate time to remind everyone that there will be a visitors book available over the course of the weekend, on the Society stand, for your comments or, just your signature to say you were there. This initiative came from a member's suggestion as another way of marking our 40th anniversary, so please take the opportunity to mark the occasion.

I should also remind you that, if you were at the very first Society get together, we will be recording a group photo, on both days, of you all, in no way intended to show how much you have all aged!!! These will be arranged for some time in the early afternoon of each day, so listen out for the relevant tannoy announcement.

Sadly, given what happened on the High Level stand at ExpoEM North, may I remind everyone involved, traders, layout operators, demonstrators, etc., to be extra vigilant over the weekend, just in case finescale shows are being targetted by these thieves.

Despite that sad note, I hope you will enjoy the coming weekend and go home inspired.

John.
The second best priest

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:42 pm

Rod Cameron wrote:DRAG's intrepid transport manager, Maurice Hopper, sets off for Aylesbury with the first part of the test track.

I have posted a few more images from our test session over on RMWeb - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... try2437783
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:29 pm

If you've never been to Scaleforum before, keep an eye open for the Society flags to guide you to the entrance to the show:

Scalefour Feather.JPG

And keep an eye open for them around the Society Stand at other shows we will be at throughout the year...

Cheers,
Paul Willis
Marketing Manager
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:17 am

Flymo748 wrote:If you've never been to Scaleforum before, keep an eye open for the Society flags to guide you to the entrance to the show:

And to help those who in the past have said it was difficult to Identify which building on the site actually contains the exhibition, there will be a large blue banner over the main door which has the word "Scaleforum" printed on it.

Terry Bendall

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:19 am

Terry Bendall wrote:And to help those who in the past have said it was difficult to Identify which building on the site actually contains the exhibition, there will be a large blue banner over the main door which has the word "Scaleforum" printed on it.
Terry Bendall

Now this is where a funny or a like button would come in handy!.... :D
John

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:43 am

Regarding the DRAG test track there are four P4 circuits with two loops. The middle two curves are super-elevated and there is a selection of crossovers from A5 through to D12.

The one '00' circuit has two loops.

TT2...jpg
John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:14 pm

All things being well, I'll be making the journey down from Durham for my first Scaleforum. Is there any form of 'loco clinic' on this year, I've got a recalcitrant 08 that I cannot get to run properly and it would be good to get an expert eye take a look at it...

John

Return to “Exhibitions”