101 Not Out - 12th March 2016

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Philip Hall

Re: 101 Not Out - 12th March 2016

Postby Philip Hall » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:10 am

Richard,

There will be a car awaiting the morning arrivals from 10.15am until 12.15pm (just look for the 101 Not Out logo), so no problem and we will look forward to welcoming you.

By the way, for other potential visitors, there is no need to advise of arrivals in advance, there will be a car there. If there are too many of you we may have to direct you to the bus, which is almost as convenient.

Return requests should be made at the door on arrival. Your timing should be fine, Richard.

Philip

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:17 pm

We thought it might be useful to have travel details posted direct to the thread, so here they are:

Travel Suggestions

By Rail – The nearest station is Tolworth served by Chessington line services. Trains leave Waterloo at 16 & 46 mins past the hour throughout the day. Travel time is 28 minutes with returning services leaving Tolworth at 13 & 43 mins past the hour.
The distance from Tolworth Station to the venue is 1.2 miles.
You can catch a bus (details below) in which case you will need to cross to the other side of Kingston Road. If walking turn right into Kingston Road and proceed south-easterly for 0.9 miles before turning right into Ruxley Lane. The church is a further 0.3 miles on your left. For the more adventurous you can take the river footpath on your right once you cross the ’Hogsmill River’, follow this until you reach Ruxley Lane, then turn left and the church is just up the road on your right.
If travelling via Epsom Station exit left out of the station entrance then right and right again into the High Street. Make your way to the Clock Tower (4 minute walk) where you can catch a 418 bus service (see below).
Alternately, those who wish travel to/from Surbiton Station may use the same 418 bus service but see ‘By Bus’ note below.

Free Car Shuttle – A car will run between Tolworth Station and Ruxley Church, meeting train arrivals from Waterloo, between 10.15 and 12.15.

By Bus – There is a bus stop right outside the church which is served by Kingston-Epsom service 418. These run every 20 mins leaving throughout the day.
From the Kingston direction passing times at Tolworth are 02, 22, 42 mins past the hour, journey time onwards to the Ruxley Church is seven minutes. Returning services to Tolworth pass the church at 18, 38, 58 minutes past the hour.
This service does not run through Surbiton town centre, therefore, those who wish to travel by rail to Surbiton Station, and journey onwards by bus, will need to exit on the north side, turn right and walk up St Mark’s Hill and turn right at the top until the first bus stop along Ewell Road (distance approximately 0.5 mile).
Please note that Tfl buses now no longer accept a ‘cash’ payment. You can use a Travel or Oyster card, concessionary bus pass, or pay using a contactless debit/credit card.

By Car – If travelling via the A3 exit at the Tolworth interchange and turn south-easterly into Kingston Road (A240). You pass under the railway (Tolworth Station on your right) and after 1.2 miles turn right at the third-set of traffic lights into Ruxley Lane (B284).
M25 (anti-clockwise) - If travelling from the north, or joining the M25 via the M40, M4, M3 interchanges, proceed southbound until Junction 10 (Wisley), exit and join the A3 northbound until Tolworth, then follow the guidance above.
M25 (clockwise) – If travelling from the east/south-east exit at Junction 8 at Reigate and head north on the A217. After 3.6 miles turn left onto the A240 at Burgh Heath, continue on this road (passing Nescot) until you meet the A24 Ewell By-Pass where you need to turn right. A further 2.0 miles should bring you to the Ruxley Lane junction (traffic lights) where you should turn left.

The church is a little way down Ruxley Lane on your left just after you pass a speed-camera! Vehicular access is via Merchants Close (located between Pams Way and Scotts Farm Road), but please note that parking in Merchants Close is not permissible (residents only).
Additional parking is available in Ruxley Lane and nearby side roads. Please see the attached map below or use the hyperlink for an interactive connection.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Rux ... 94c0b69fb7

Philip

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:30 pm

We thought it would be useful to remind potential visitors that 101 Not Out takes place this coming Saturday, 12th March. Hopefully we don't need to remind all those who are taking part! Our ladies (well two of them, my wife Heather and Peter's wife Jenny) are busy baking the cakes and we imagine there will be a railway model or two to enjoy as well.

We are looking forward to welcoming all who can make it to Ruxley Church, for what we are sure will be an entertaining and informative day.

Philip (and Peter and Eddie of course)

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:02 pm

I'll probably be spending most of the time at the CAD demo :thumb
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Philbax

Postby Philbax » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:39 pm

Horsetan wrote:I'll probably be spending most of the time at the CAD demo :thumb

I'll warn Tim in advance!!!

phil

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:47 pm

Looking forward to it. I'm sure this will only affect a few travellers on Saturday, but be aware there's a BIG rugby game at Twickenham that day. Traffic in that area will be bad, so best to take a wide route around. I'm sure most people know about it, but I got caught coming back from a show a couple of years ago and wouldn't want someone else's day ruined as mine was.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:45 pm

Horsetan wrote:I'll probably be spending most of the time at the CAD demo :thumb

I don't need a demo to be a CAD :D

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:18 pm

Road wise, it's fairly easy to avoid Twickenham as Ewell is on the eastern side of the A3; and fortunately Tolworth station is on the Chessington branch from Waterloo via Wimbledon, so is well away from the Windsor lines which pass through Twickenham, which will be horrendously busy! At least it's not like the World Cup, where the main road past the stadium for miles was closed to use as a coach park! And yes, those are the roads into West London we normally use the most, along with the railway line...

Even if you do get stuck, the rugby crowds, whilst loud, are usually very good natured!

Philip

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:57 pm

Andy W wrote:Looking forward to it. I'm sure this will only affect a few travellers on Saturday, but be aware there's a BIG rugby game at Twickenham that day. Traffic in that area will be bad, so best to take a wide route around. I'm sure most people know about it, but I got caught coming back from a show a couple of years ago and wouldn't want someone else's day ruined as mine was.

I'll be driving via Kew and Richmond, just like the old days when I used to go to Tolworth.

Chris-GNR

Postby Chris-GNR » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:52 pm

Evening

Very much looking forward to Saturday's event. Myself & Jason will be traveling down on the Friday afternoon with The Mill.
We've been getting the layout ready over the last few weeks, well the odd couple of hours on Sunday evening when life has allowed. A handful of new wagons for the BR period stock will have their first outing on Saturday also the 14" RSH tank, now painted.

I really look forward to meeting people on Saturday & hopefully soaking up some of the skills on show from the demo stands.

See you all there.....

Chris

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:01 pm

Well, I turned up about 45 minutes after the doors opened. The available parking was long gone, so parked about half a mile away.

Highlight so far is seeing the Very Reverend Martin Goodall preaching within sighting distance of Tim V... :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:52 pm

A really good day. Thanks to all involved.

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:46 pm

Here's a shot I got of our News Editor deep in conversation:

image.jpeg

Thank you to everyone who stopped by my demo about CBUS - I enjoyed the day talking about how we're using that on Bankside.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:44 pm

Just a brief post to thank everyone who helped to make the day go as well as it did. There were so many, and you all know who you are (ie everyone!); demonstrators, layout owners and stewards - but particular mention must go to the team in the kitchen who kept us fed and watered; Heather, Jenny, Sheila and Les. They literally worked non stop from the moment we got there, long before the doors opened to visitors and right up to closing time.

Thank you too, all of you who visited us. We were overwhelmed (in a nice way) by the numbers (we think over 200) and the distances you travelled. As a first joint venture between our two societies we think it was worthwhile, and we also believe there were many non members as well. We enjoyed organising it, but it's now time for a breather!

A full report will no doubt appear in Scalefour News as well in due course.

Eddie, Peter & Philip
Last edited by Philip Hall on Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:35 pm

Cracking day, 210 through the door I heard quadrupling last year's total. I had a queue on my stand. This, as I see it, is the future of passing on skills - succession planning in another life...
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

adigill

101 not out

Postby adigill » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:42 pm

Good evening all, I just wanted to say what a wonderful and informative day I've just had at the 101 not out event. The mix of very knowledgeable demonstrators was superb as was the lectures. To all the volunteers who organised it thank you for your hard work, I came away buzzing with information that will hopefully improve my modeling. So glad that the two society's came together in such a friendly manner, long may it continue.
Last edited by adigill on Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

DaveHarris

Postby DaveHarris » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:36 am

An excellent day! Many thanks to the organisers for a good 'format' for the day. Also thanks to the demonstrators for their patience in answering all the questions fired at them throughout the day (hopefully all of them managed a break at some point). Also thanks to the guys and girls in the kitchen who seemed to have a continuous queue of customers all day for their excellent sandwiches, cakes, teas and coffees, and last but not least those drivers who kept up a steady service to and from the station for those who arrived by train....... thank you all very much! :D Oh and also thanks to the layout owners for bringing along some excellent layouts to inspire us!

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:57 am

I agree it was an excellent day..I picked up lots of tips.
In particular, as a moderately experienced use of 2D Cad I took Grant Alderson's 15min crash course on the 3D use of SketchUp Make which is a free 3D drawing and visualisation program and how to import a photo towards producing a cad file.

I had found it hard going trying to get started before but his kickstart has paid off already....I have imported a photo of a building for my new model and have the basic shape defined in TurboCad ready for output as drawing for manual cutting or export to modern electric cutters like Die cutter or laser machine.

The missing link in Grant's invaluable demo was how to export a.dxf or .dwg for other Cad programs. The SketchUp Make freebie doesn't allow this, you are supposed to buy the pro version for £500.
I have found an addon that provides output from SketchUp Make as .dxf for most Cad programs or .stl for 3D printers etc.
http://www.guitar-list.com/download-sof ... dxf-or-stl
It is small and free, the downloaded file is put into /Sketchup16/shipped extensions. Restart SketchUp and the export file options have the new options. The .dxf works fine for me in Turbocad 16 which cost me a whole £8 a few years ago.

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:54 am

I got home about 10 after dropping John off in Paignton after a very good day. I assume the show went well overall, I was so busy on the Silhouette cutter demo I never saw any of it!
Rod

Nestor

Postby Nestor » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:26 am

A very pleasant and informative four and a bit hours spent at the event yesterday. Well done to everyone involved.
Had time to kill afterwards before heading back to the coast so took the advice of Martin Goodall and popped into the national gallery. Haven't been in quite some time but was well worth the visit.
Was interesting to chat about the use of teddy bear fur as well. I have been using the material for quite some time but using a totally different method to the one described yesterday.

Nestor

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:29 am

OK, someone has to ask it so I'll jump in with two feet. Teddy bear fur - using it for what (remembering this is a family-friendly Board)?
David L-T

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:14 pm

Teddy Bear Fur in the hands of John McRea, for one (who was with us yesterday) becomes grass! In a rare moment when I had time to chat, I found out that there are several grades of varying degrees of usefulness. Unfortunately you can't get the best grade anymore.

Philip

martinT

Postby martinT » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:48 pm

That really was a very enjoyable & inspiring day out - so many thanks for all involved from both societies in the planning, on the day, & the very patient demonstrators. So much to see, so little time!

Martin
Cambridge

Lord Colnago

Postby Lord Colnago » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:41 pm

I just wanted to say a few words of thanks, from a demonstrator's point of view, to the event organisers, catering staff and, not least, the visitors for making it such a fantastic day. It was one of those days that simply flew by and was over all to soon. We should do it again sometime.........
The second best priest

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:49 pm

"The missing link in Grant's invaluable demo was how to export a.dxf or .dwg for other Cad programs."

Paul,

In the past I've adjusted (eliminated) the photo's perspective in Sketch Up then exported to a jpeg. Then imported that into a CAD app - in my case Illustrator.

Return to “Exhibitions”