101 Not Out - 12th March 2016

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Philip Hall

101 Not Out - 12th March 2016

Postby Philip Hall » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:39 pm

The E M Gauge Society and the Scalefour Society are pleased to present:

logo-400b.jpg

A very special day of finescale railway modelling incorporating the
Chris Kedgley Memorial Skills Day

Saturday 12th March 2016 at Ruxley Church, Ruxley Lane, Ewell, Surrey KT19 0JG

Those of you with no interest in cricket need not fear that we are going to inflict upon you tales of the English summer and the sound of leather upon willow! We hit upon (sorry!) 101 Not Out because in 2016 the Scalefour Society will celebrate its 40th anniversary, and this year (2015) the EM Gauge Society is celebrating its 60th, so next year will be 61. So that gives us 101 years of finescale modelling and still going strong...

For a couple of years now the EMGS has presented the Chris Kedgley Memorial Skills Day, made possible by the generous bequest of Chris's modelling effects by his family. Chris was also an enthusiastic member of the Scalefour Society and, as EMGS Chairman, was particularly keen to see the two societies working together. So we (the organising team of Eddie Bourne, Philip Hall and Peter Swift – members of both societies) felt that he would have appreciated this very first joint event; a fitting commemoration of the Scalefour Society’s 40th birthday, as well as encouraging craftsmanship, about which Chris was so passionate and which the EMGS continues in his memory. In our planning we have been ably supported by Derek Lilley and John Chambers, the two societies' current Chairmen.

The day will be a little different to previous Skills Days in that around the halls, in individual areas, we will be featuring in-depth coverage of specific topics; each supported by several demonstrators dealing with different aspects and techniques. In the case of landscapes and architecture, for example, the demonstrations (which will include some ‘hands on’ instruction) will additionally be complemented by Richard Butler’s Westcliff, well known for its beautiful seaside setting.

There will also be keynote areas dealing with motive power, rolling stock, electronics (with the South London Area Group's new Bankside Austerity in 1951 as the centrepiece), lathe & machine work, permanent way and emerging technologies. There will be lectures as well. Not every aspect of the finescale hobby will be covered but certainly enough to give you an entertaining and educational day.

For the moment, may we suggest that you mark 12th March 2016 in your diaries? We will be welcoming many of our finest modellers, some well known and some not so familiar, all keen to impart their particular skills and encourage you in your own model making. We look forward to seeing you at this landmark joint event. And by the way, entry will be free to all!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by John McAleely on Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Update logo

Bulwell Hall

Re: 101 Not Out - 12th March 2016

Postby Bulwell Hall » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:50 pm

It is in the diary! Sounds too good to miss.

Gerry

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:33 pm

I recently created a dedicated page for 101 not out, and attached the flyer (PDF).

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:08 am

While I appreciate that there is a page on the Society website regarding this event I'm a little surprised that it has not received more publicity. I either overlooked this thread when it began last August, or else subsequently forgot about it, but it has been brought to my attention by a full page feature in the latest EMGS newsletter. It seems to me to combine most of the features that, IMO, would make an ideal Scaleforum - no less that 25 demonstrators from the S4Scoc and EMGS covering a myriad of topics, hands on tuition, a couple of talks, and four layouts, all in one day. And it's free entry!

DT

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:35 am

Lots more info is here:

www.scalefour.org/forty/101notout

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:40 pm

After the initial announcement in August, and after we had produced a flyer (which has gone out to lots of places) there was actually little more to say about our event until we had completed our planning. We are considering other publicity in the coming weeks, but the main thrust of our advertising has naturally been to the two societies' members, through publications, society websites, and of course MRJ.

The reason the second and final press release appeared first in the EMGS Newsletter is simply a matter of publishing dates. There is no EMGS Newsletter after this one before the day, so it went in the January issue. MRJ's publication date is next in line, and the magazine is about to hit doormats. Scalefour News is the last and closest to the event, and EditorJames is kindly carrying details for us. And thanks to WebmasterJohn, up to date details are on our own website, with travel updates to follow nearer the date.

We are confident of an enjoyable day and look forward to welcoming you all to Ewell!

Philip

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:10 am

It's a shame that the full page advert in MRJ 244 states that 101 Not Out is a celebration of the 40th anniversary of the Scalefour Society, without acknowledging the EM Gauge Society's 61 years, and so rather misses the point of the "101" and Chris Kedgley's work in bringing the two societies closer..

:(

Ian

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:55 am

As it's free entry, how is it being financed? Am I right in assuming that the costs and expenses are being met jointly by the Scalefour and EM Gauge societies, or is it still being funded from the Chris Kedgley bequests?

It really does look like being an excellent day and I'd very much like to see the Scalefour shows moving more in a similar direction, ie with the emphasis being on skills and education rather than layouts.

DT

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:18 pm

The original press release for the show (pasted at the beginning of this topic, and also in MRJ 241 and the EMGS newsletter) alluded to our own 40 years, the 60 years of the EMGS last year and that next year (now this) it would be 61, and therefore how we got to 101. We also gave details of how the show came about and what we were hoping to present; a continuation of the Chris Kedgley Memorial Skills Days and Chris's enthusiasm for joint working between the two societies.

We didn't put this in the second press release (now on the two websites, see WebmasterJohn's post a bit above) as we had much new information to impart and a limited amount of space to put it in, and felt we would simply be repeating ourselves. For my part the connection to my old friend Chris was one that I would not want to understate. We are particularly pleased that Jim Summers has again agreed to come south (he visited the last CKMSD in Byfleet for a few hours!) and give a lecture, for it was he and Chris that did so much to foster good joint relations.

As to finance, the show is indeed being financed jointly, the EMGS side from the CK bequest and a matching amount from the Scalefour Society, which is funding their side as a contribution to our committee's request for regional events to be organised to celebrate our 40th. Cygnet Magazines have also been very supportive and we are very grateful to Paul Karau for his generosity with the publicity. The previous CKMSD had been free to EMGS and Scalefour members and that went down very well, so we were quite clear that it would not cost much to make this special joint event complimentary on this occasion.

See you all there?

Philip

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:18 pm

I wish I could be there - it looks to be exactly what our two societies should be doing - but It's just too far from Wensleydale - my fault for choosing such a remote home. All credit to Jim for making the long trip and to the organisers for their initiative and hard work.

Are there any plans to move such events around the country in future years?

(Incidentally, please don't regard this as a moan - the event has to be somewhere and nowhere can meet everyone's preference.)

Ian

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:34 pm

I think Jim is used to long train journeys and regularly uses the sleeper which makes such things practical!

As to the future, 101 Not Out is a one off (as far as Eddie, Peter and myself are concerned), conceived for the 40th celebrations. The Scalefour Committee suggested groups might like to organise events and this was our response. Peter and I had organised the previous CKMSD in Byfleet, because I had missed the very first one and wanted to be a part of one of these tributes to my old friend. So it seemed to the three of us that a joint event would be a great idea and what Chris would have liked. We have said that if there is interest in any of the specific topics maybe workshops could be arranged.

The program of Skills Days, funded by the Kedgley bequest, will certainly continue and I know more are planned by the EMGS. I know of another future one at least, and the intention is that they will serve other areas of the country. As to joint functions, we really hope that more will be organised because we all essentially enjoy the finescale end of our hobby and most of us belong to both societies. I'm not saying we three wouldn't organise another one someday, but I guess it is up to members who would like to see such events to step up and put forward proposals to the two societies.

It's not too far, book a hotel and come for the weekend! Epsom Downs are nearby, home of the Derby, and lots of country houses and quite a few steam railways are close by!

Philip

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:46 pm

This meeting may well be the future of the hobby, so come along to enjoy it.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:37 am

Ian Everett wrote:but It's just too far from Wensleydale - my fault for choosing such a remote home

I don't call Wensleydale remote. Some would say Yorkshire is the centre of the universe. :D Any event that happens will always be easy for some to get to and difficult for others.

Philip Hall wrote: The Scalefour Committee suggested groups might like to organise events and this was our response.

Quite right and some groups, but not many have done just that. All that is needs is for a group of people to decide that they want to do something and then get on with it. Nothing like this happens without people doing the work.

There are lots of good things planned for this event but a personal disappointment is what appears to be a lack of anything related to modelling the contemporary railway scene or even the last 30 years of it. Lots of the techniques being demonstrated can of course apply to any period of modelling but it would have been good to have one demonstration which relates to the D&E scene.

Terry Bendall

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:18 pm

I think that Mike Ainsworth will have some 'modern' things on his table, possibly also Pete Hill and John Chambers. Agreed we have no specific topic set out as 'D&E' modelling, but we wanted to be very specific in what we offered and how we offered it. We wanted this event to be somewhat different to others which was why we went this way.

As Terry says, many techniques are applicable to all modelling but equally you cannot cover everything. For example, at one stage we seriously considered whether it was necessary in a celebration event to incorporate trackwork or soldering basics, given that we had found a great deal of new things to include!

Philip

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:06 pm

Tim V wrote:This meeting may well be the future of the hobby, so come along to enjoy it.

I'm tempted by the CAD demo.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:28 pm

I'm tempted by the whole day and concept, but sadly it's just a bit too far away.

DT

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:46 am

David Thorpe wrote:I'm tempted by the whole day and concept, but sadly it's just a bit too far away.

David,

I know just how far north you are, but I can promise you a warm welcome and an entertaining day, which would hopefully justify the long journey and a couple of nights in a hotel!

Philip

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:31 am

It should be a great day. This may well be the sort event that is "the future", however I hope such shows will occur as well as our own S4rum and other larger showcases.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:52 pm

Thanks Philip, nice of you to say so. However, I'm already committed (hotel and train) to Scalefour North and I can't justify another trip to the (Even Deeper) South so close to that event. I rather wish I'd paid more attention when details were first posted.

DT

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:21 am

I thought it might be useful to post the full line up for our event, as advertised in the EMGS Newsletter and MRJ (soon to be in Scalefour News of course).

There will be a warm welcome for all on the day!

Philip

logo-200.jpg

Planning for this landmark joint event is now complete. It won’t be a typical model railway experience; rather it’s going to focus - in a number of specific areas - on development of skills for finescale modelling. More than that, we aim to provide inspiration, learning and encouragement. And, of course, enjoyment and entertainment!

Saturday 12th March 2016
Ruxley Church, Ruxley Lane, West Ewell, Surrey KT19 0JG

10.30am to 4.30pm

Admission: free to all

Demonstrations

Computer-Aided Technologies
  • Grant Alderson & Peter Warren, From Photograph to Model
  • Jonathan Buckie, Laser Cutting
  • Rod Cameron, The Silhouette Cutter
  • Eric Penn, CAD for Etching
  • Mark Tatlow, 3D Printing
Electronics and Control
  • Steve Carter, ‘Hands-on’ Kit Assembly
  • John McAleely, DCC and CBUS
  • Keith Norgrove, The Practical Approach
  • Bankside Austerity in 1951, Application to a Small Layout

Landscape and Architecture
  • John Farmer, Trees & Ground Cover
  • Dave Hawkins, Townscape
  • Geoff Kent, Architecture in Plastic
  • John McRea, Uses of Teddy Bear Fur

Machine Shop

• Mick Moore & Vincent Worthington, Uses of Machine Tools
  • Brian Self, Basic Turning

Permanent Way
  • Howard Bolton, Using Functional Chairs
  • Tim Peacock, Templot
  • Tony Sullivan, Comparative Techniques

The Trains
  • Mike Ainsworth, Sprung & Compensated Chassis
  • Keith Bradbury, Carriages
  • John Chambers, Freight Stock
  • Pete Hill, RTR Conversions
  • Roy Jackson, Locomotives for Retford
  • Tim Venton, Locomotive Clinic
  • Test Tracks in EM and P4
Several demonstrators will be offering ‘hands-on’ tuition, so here’s your chance to have a go!

Talks
Two short talks, each lasting around 30 minutes:
  • 11.30am, Martin Goodall, An Artistic Approach to Modelling
  • 2.00pm, Jim Summers, The Evolution of Burntisland 1883

Layouts
Complementing the demonstrations, a selection of inspirational layouts:
  • Lower Exbury, P4, Alison Barker
  • Middle Peak, EM, Martyn Harrison & Graham Hudson
  • The Mill, EM, Chris Rogers & Jason Thomas (winner of EMGS Layout Challenge 2015)
  • Westcliff, EM, Richard Butler

Getting There

By train – Tolworth is the nearest station, served from Waterloo.

By bus – Service 418 (Kingston to Epsom, passing Tolworth station) stops outside the church. Bus pass, Oyster or contactless payment only – no cash!

During the morning, there will be cars meeting each train from London, offering free transport to the venue. A return service will be offered at the end of the day.

By car – there is both on-site and on-street parking.

Further travel details will be published on our website and on www.emgs.org before the event.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by John McAleely on Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add logo

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:47 am

There is of course, nothing to stop such an event happening in the North of the UK, it doesn't have to be a big venue, a church hall would be fine.

Just needs someone to step forward, as Philip has done. And No, it can't be me, I'm in the South West.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:52 am

Thank you for the credit Tim, but it most definitely is not just me; Eddie and Peter are essential members of the trio!

Philip

Tony Sullivan

Postby Tony Sullivan » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:18 pm

Next Years Chris Kedgley Skills Day will be at Littleborough near Rochdale on or around the same date. More details soon Tony Sullivan

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:50 pm

Just to say that travel details for the event are now live on the web page:

http://www.scalefour.org/forty/101notout/

Philip

Richard S

Postby Richard S » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:53 pm

I managed to find a deal with Virgin Trains for £36 return from Crewe so I'm going.
The format and line up looks really good.

As I will be on the 1014 arrival at Tolworth please could I have one of the lifts mentioned?
My return service departs at 1643.

Looking forward to this and meeting more of the membership.

Return to “Exhibitions”