Scaleforum 2014 Retrospective

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
John McAleely
Web Team

Scaleforum 2014 Retrospective

Postby John McAleely » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:05 pm

I've just uploaded the Scaleforum 2014 Retrospective.

There are over 400 photos. While I was considering what to edit away, I was struck by how many smiles there are in this collection.

I'd like to thank both photographers for their patience - their good work has been with me for some time, and I imagine they have been keen to share their photos with you all. I've certainly enjoyed the reminder of last year as I've worked on this.

DougN

Re: Scaleforum 2014 Retrospective

Postby DougN » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:49 am

Thanks John. There is certainly alot of effort went into getting those photos up. I noticed that the Australians seem to have taken over. The photo about No 30 of around the Show has JamesN and myself in it. Still don't know why have a strange smerk on? ;) He needed to brush his hair! :? Parents can never win!

Thanks to all the photographers I think alot of people would find the photo's very flatering!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:40 am

Thanks John!

Is there an issue with the slide show format? On 'around the show' a lot of people's heads are cut off.
Rod

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:10 pm

Oh, that's not good. I'll take a look (I didn't change that part since last time, so I didn't test it this time...).

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:29 pm

Very nice John. One minor issue, the "exit slideshow" button didn't seem to work for me when I toured "Marston Brewery'

Cheers,

David

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:29 pm

Rod Cameron wrote:Is there an issue with the slide show format? On 'around the show' a lot of people's heads are cut off.

This one I can see - it seems it's affecting all the 'portrait' orientation images. These are most common in the 'around the show' gallery, and you can see the issue elsewhere where the images are similar. I can take a look later in the week to see if I can fix it.

David Knight wrote:Very nice John. One minor issue, the "exit slideshow" button didn't seem to work for me when I toured "Marston Brewery'

This one I can't see on my machine :-( What browser/os combo do you use, and are others seeing this?

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:10 pm

I didn't use the slideshow, merely browsed the pictures. They displayed OK for me on Firefox.

I have been asked to photograph S4N, think I will investigate getting a unique number or some sort of caption so it's clearer what the view is, particularly the people pictures.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:43 pm

John McAleely wrote:
David Knight wrote:Very nice John. One minor issue, the "exit slideshow" button didn't seem to work for me when I toured "Marston Brewery'

This one I can't see on my machine :-( What browser/os combo do you use, and are others seeing this?

I was using OSX 10.6.8 with Firefox 35.01 and when I tried again this time it did work. :-?
Sorry, false alarm.

Cheers,

David

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:57 pm

Tim V wrote:I have been asked to photograph S4N, think I will investigate getting a unique number or some sort of caption so it's clearer what the view is, particularly the people pictures.

If you look at the copyright information, you'll see the original filenames, and there (for many pictures) are the names of the people in shot. If that's something you're happy to do every time, I'm happy to update my processing script so they are actually in the caption on the page.

Writing over 400 captions is something that defeated me. I'd be happy to use any agreed (electronic) way of using captions you write, even if it's only the names of the people in shot.

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:57 pm

David Knight wrote:Sorry, false alarm.

No worries. thanks for checking again!

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:36 pm

John McAleely wrote:
Tim V wrote:I have been asked to photograph S4N, think I will investigate getting a unique number or some sort of caption so it's clearer what the view is, particularly the people pictures.

If you look at the copyright information, you'll see the original filenames, and there (for many pictures) are the names of the people in shot. If that's something you're happy to do every time, I'm happy to update my processing script so they are actually in the caption on the page.

Writing over 400 captions is something that defeated me. I'd be happy to use any agreed (electronic) way of using captions you write, even if it's only the names of the people in shot.

Just had a play in GIMP, came up with this! I may have misspelt the layout name. Taken at S4N last year.
IMG_0054-C1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:09 pm

Tim V wrote:
IMG_0054-C1.JPG

Tim, getting it to appear next to the photo is not hard as I upload them to scalefour.org, if I know where the information is. I imagine that even in GIMP, that process is a bit labour intensive, and it certainly wouldn't be searchable, or displayable as an alt/title text (see, for example, the thumbnail page for those photos with captions, such as the prizegiving ones).

If you're moved to write captions, my vote would be as a text file, something like:

filename, caption
filename2, caption

etc.

Or, as you have done this time, annotate the filename. When I look at fixing the problem with the portrait images, I'll also move the info from the filenames today into the page, so you can see how that looks. The main reason I didn't do it first time is that many are of the form 'layout name (n)', which doesn't add so much. Thinking about it now, what I could do is tag just those photos with names in the filename, and display those alongside the photo.

This might be worth taking to a private conversation :-)

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:06 pm

Picking off one problem at a time, I believe the heads-chopped-off should be back, and portrait photos are displaying in the slideshow as intended.

I still plan to improve the captioning. Tim and I also have a plan in place for the captions for Scalefour North, where he's taking photos for us.

Return to “Exhibitions”