Chris Kedgley Memorial Skills Day, 14th March 2015

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Philip Hall

Chris Kedgley Memorial Skills Day, 14th March 2015

Postby Philip Hall » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:37 pm

I was saddened to have missed the first Chris Kedgley Skills Day last year, because Chris had been such an valued friend over so many years, but it was a long way to come back from Australia where we were at the time. I have had the chance to make that up this year, as Peter Swift and I, (with help from Tony Sullivan and the South Hants Club) have organised the second one, to be held in West Byfleet in Surrey on 14th March.

Chris, although an EM modeller, was a keen Scalefour Society member and did a great deal, along with Jim Summers, to foster good relations between the two Societies. We felt it a nice idea this year to offer free admission to all Scalefour members as well as EMGS, under whose auspices the event is organised. So do come along if you can, it promises to be a good day. Catering will be provided along the same lines as last year's S4 AGM, which seemed to go down quite well, so we have adopted the same ideas. Full details below.

Philip

The EM Gauge Society presents:

The 2nd Chris Kedgley Memorial Skills Day -
Saturday 14th March 2015

When Chris Kedgley, former Chairman of the EMGS, passed away in 2013 his family gifted his models and unbuilt kits to the Society. Chris was always someone who preferred to build models rather than just buy them, so with the proceeds the EMGS is pleased to present the 2nd Skills Day in his memory. Where possible, you will be able to ‘have a go’, the whole idea being to have a social day, in good company, picking up new skills from our demonstration team and hopefully passing on some of your own. We look forward to seeing old friends and new.

Admission charges: EMGS and Scalefour members – free (bring your membership cards); public - £2.50.

Location: Cornerstone Centre at St John’s Church, Camphill Road, West Byfleet, Surrey KT14 6EH

Opening times: 11am to 4.30pm.

Car parking:

May be some space for visitors, but on - street parking and public car parks nearby - 290 spaces available (free on Saturdays) at railway station, postcode KT14 6DY. The venue is very close (5 minutes walk) to West Byfleet station on the South Western main line from Waterloo (journey time 30 – 40 minutes). If you require directions from the station/car park please email philandheth@waitrose.com & details will be sent nearer the event.

Layouts:

Great Bardfield (P4) and the EMGS Test Track.

Demonstrators:

Paul Tasker of Prickly Pear Products – wagon construction and suspension systems
Mike Ainsworth and the Scalefour Society - RTR conversions and loco building
Tim Venton - loco clinic
Michael Ball - signals
Roger Sawyer – soldering
Tony Hill – scenery: a chance to get your hands dirty, so bring an apron!
Jonathan Buckie - Laser Cutting technology
Tony Witts – Simple layout wiring/ “The Bouncer” signal operation
Ray Hodson – resistance soldering (morning) & tree making (afternoon)
David Bridges - Alex Jackson couplings (morning) & etched coach construction (afternoon)
Tony Sullivan - Track & Turnout construction (morning)
David Hawkins – Architectural modelling (afternoon)

The EMGS stand will be in attendance for collection of pre-ordered goods only from the trade list, also membership matters.

Catering: sandwiches to order, home made cakes, tea, coffee etc.
Last edited by Philip Hall on Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DaveHarris

Re: Chris Kedgley Memorial Skills Day, 14th March 2015

Postby DaveHarris » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:03 am

Philip,

Many thanks for the 'programme' for the next Chris Kedgley Memorial Skills Day.

The event last year was a great success and judging from the details you have provided this one will be even better!

This sort of event will provide something for everyone and I certainly learnt a lot at the first one and by the programme will learn even more at the forthcoming day.

Many thanks to you and all involved in organising this event; I believe Chris would be very pleased with what is being done in his memory

Dave H :thumb

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:35 pm

Just a reminder, if I may, of the next CKMSD on Saturday 14th March. We hope many of you will be able to join us (it's free, after all!) and look forward to a day of modelling and good company.

Philip

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:24 pm

We have a late addition to our list of demonstrators: Geoff Kent, wizard with styrene sheet and much else, is able to join us.

Philip

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:57 pm

See some of you tomorrow, I'm on Loco Clinic!

That is not Loco A&E.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:40 am

Tim V wrote:See some of you tomorrow, I'm on Loco Clinic!

That is not Loco A&E.

Or even Loco D&E...

Have a great time. I'd love to be there, particularly after Missenden last weekend. However it's the first race meeting of the season and I'm in the paddock at Brands Hatch listening to engines being fired up all around me...

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:15 pm

There is a nice crowd, so if you fancy solving a problem, or learning something new, pop down this afternoon!

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:06 pm

IMG_0197.jpg

Our very own Secretary (Mike Ainsworth) providing advice on loco construction.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:40 pm

We had a very enjoyable day on Saturday, as those of you who were with us will testify, and we were all agreed that Chris would have enjoyed himself immensely. We felt sure he was looking down on us... An interesting point is that out of about 50 visitors, we had 11 who paid to get in - ie not members of the EMGS or S4 Society. The event was only advertised in EM & S4 newsletters, the respective websites, some flyers and MRJ. Which would seem to indicate there are a number of finescale modellers out there who read MRJ but don't belong to either Society...

I've attached a few photographs below to give a flavour of the day.

IMG_3663 Stitch copy.jpg

Particularly rewarding to see was this BR Mark 1 coach, brought along by Colin Harrison. After seeing a demonstration at the Southampton show, he had converted this Hornby Railroad vehicle to P4, added some underframe detail and lettering, slimmed down the roof ribs, fitted new ventilators and gangways, and polished and weathered the sides and underframe. It was a very good example of the point of all these demonstrations and workshop days - to inspire people to get down and make things. Many thanks to Colin for bringing it along. I'm only sorry it's not a better picture, but I just had a small compact with me on Saturday.

IMG_3682.JPG

Finally, we were pleased to welcome Jim Summers, who had come down from Scotland the night before on the sleeper to see us and was then going to catch the 16.30 Pendolino back in the evening! Here we have him in typically expansive mood with Peter Swift, my co-organiser for the day. Probably he was enjoying Jenny Swift's lemon drizzle cake - Jenny and my wife Heather kept us all very well fed and watered throughout the day - there were some wonderful cakes!

IMG_3655 copy.jpg

Thanks to all who came.

Philip

Return to “Exhibitions”