Scalefour Southwest at Railwells 2014

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
John McAleely
Web Team

Re: Scalefour Southwest at Railwells 2014

Postby John McAleely » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:40 pm

nigelcliffe wrote:Ditto on Facebook, I don't want to go there to find stuff.

It shouldn't impossible to load stuff from the Society's website onto Facebook, may even be possible to automate it (*), but making Facebook the primary source is a very bad move in my view.

I'm also not a fan of having to find things on Facebook (although I do indulge). As a society we have for some time posted material on both Twitter & Facebook. It's polite not to simply duplicate stuff (which is good for the Societies reputation), so there have been the odd photo or comment you won't find on this site.

I don't think Danny's done anything inappropriate, and the best of his pictures are above. I don't believe it's the best use of Facebook or twitter for them to be simply subsets of what's here. I believe they should, of course, be ancillary, and not needed to get the most out of the Society.

I'm not going to rush to integrate Facebook galleries into this site, simply to encourage the status quo - most stuff is stored and displayed from this site.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:12 pm

Facebook is so last year, other medium are available...
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:06 pm

Oh dear :(

A word of explanation if I may.

I was at Wells in my role of Membership Secretary not as an official photographer. I could not get on-line at all whilst in Wells Town (City?) Hall, so was unable to post any pictures to anywhere, nor to send or receive any e-mails, nor was I able to help any members register to access the members' area, which I'm almost always asked to do and was this weekend too; nor could I access the forum or website to show members things that they asked about. All damn inconvenient, but that's the way it is.

At the hotel where I was staying it wasn't much better either. On Friday evening, in my room, I was able to access the internet via my o2 dongle, (which I pay for) although the signal strength was low, but at that time I hadn't taken any pictures, although I did manage to do some Mem Sec work before going to bed.

On Saturday morning from exactly the same place I couldn't get on line at all...no signal, but hey ho, off to the show.

On Saturday, for my own pleasure and delight, on my break from the stand, I took a grand total of 26 pictures. These were in no way intended to be a representative view of the show, nor were they in any way an official record, they were entirely my own choice. When I got back to my room on Saturday evening, still no internet, I transfered the pictures from my camera to my computer and after having had a look at them I then selected 10 of them as being suitable to share with others.

Although my dongle wouldn't work I was able to take advantage of 30 mins free access to the hotel's wi-fi. I uploaded the pictures to facebook rather than here because it was easier than uploading them to this forum. With facebook I could highlight them all and upload them in one go, but to upload them here I needed to reduce them in size upload them one by one and then place them 'inline', i.e much more of a faff and time consuming. Having uploaded them to facebook then, as I was tired, I decided to go to bed.

This morning, in the hotel, I was able to access the internet, although the connection was still poor and I managed to upload four pictures here before I had to stop for breakfast, then pack and leave.

I'm not trying to 'make' anyone use facebook nor use that as the primary channel of Society communication, it just happened to be the most convenient way for me to upload my pictures last night. There is no 'official' policy here, just Danny Cockling acting in his own private capacity.

If I could have accessed the internet at the show I would have uploaded pictures here, probably in several posts, during the course of the day.

There were of course lots of other people with cameras, many of whom are probably Society members, none of whom appear to have uploaded any pictures at all :o

So no conspiracy, and no Tim I won't be opening any accounts in any other media as I don't like social media very much either and am a minimal user of facebook and twitter.

Now that I'm home, from an extremely enjoyable show, and have had something to eat and put my feet up, I shall, in a while, upload some of the other pictures that I took. I took some more today, but I haven't had time to have a good look at them yet.

There is also the issue of filling up our memory space with pictures, perhaps John could let us know if this is likely to be a problem, and I have at other times uploaded pictures to Flikr with a link to them here.

All the Best
Danny

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:29 pm

Here then are the other six pictures. (much easier with a full internet connection)

002.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

All the Best
Danny
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:37 pm

dcockling wrote:There is also the issue of filling up our memory space with pictures, perhaps John could let us know if this is likely to be a problem

I don't worry about that. We're not close to any limits today.

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:52 pm

John McAleely wrote:
dcockling wrote:There is also the issue of filling up our memory space with pictures, perhaps John could let us know if this is likely to be a problem

I don't worry about that. We're not close to any limits today.

Good, but we were at one point. I believe that at that time Rob had to upgrade the site. As a result I've always been wary of posting lots of pictures here.

All the Best
Danny

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:02 pm

dcockling wrote:Good, but we were at one point. I believe that at that time Rob had to upgrade the site. As a result I've always been wary of posting lots of pictures here.

Yes, it looks like the databases were once much smaller than they are today, and our hosting company now provides much larger ones. I recall discussing the migration at the time of the handover.

We currently use around 10% of what is available to us. Post away!

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:27 pm

Here then are some more pictures and none of them are on facebook :shock:

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

All the Best
Danny
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:54 am

Fantastic Danny,

It is great to see overall photos of the layouts as the current fashion (rightly or wrongly) is to take the "real" eye level photos of details. Which look fantastic though at times I really want an overall. Burntisland's photo illustrates the point that to get the overall view shows how impressive the layouts are. Before Jim S_W pops up BNS will need a number of photos :D

I have said it is important to see the photos as not all members can make it to the exhibition!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Albert Hall

Postby Albert Hall » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:11 am

Sunday was a bit quieter but a fantastic show regardless. I ended up covering the Wells Railway Fraternity unloved and unwanted book stand for much of the day raising just under £250 for Railway Children. The last participants departedaround 1900 which is no mean achievement from this venue with its one very slow lift.

Managed to have a good chat with some local members from the Bristol area, in particular with Gordon Ashton regarding the proposed beginners workshop - see 'Starting in P4' thread.

Roy

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:12 am

Really Danny, Wells is a city!
Danny Cockling with Roger Sawyer.JPG

Which one of these is the 4mm one?
Bodmin (3).JPG

Bodmin (2).JPG
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:18 am

Tim V wrote:Really Danny, Wells is a city!

I know Tim, but the exhibition is held in the Town Hall

Bulwell Hall

Postby Bulwell Hall » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:25 pm

I should just like to say that I had a very enjoyable day at Railwells on Saturday as usual and my thanks go to Chris Challis - and his helpers - for putting on an excellent exhibition. The new room and catering facilities have made the event even more enjoyable and I am looking forward to next years event already!

I was especially pleased to see that 'Burntisland' had made the long trip south and Alan Goodwillie's excellent description of Bouch's pioneering Roll On - Roll Off train ferry was much appreciated. I also enjoyed the P87 corner - Obbekaer is an absolute gem of a layout and is beautifully modeled - whilst Iain Rice's Maine layout certainly got me thinking and awakened a latent interest in American railroading - I will have to resist though as I don't have enough time to work on my current commitments as it is!

As always it was an enjoyable social occasion so had all the elements of an excellent day out. Fortunately I avoided the torrential showers later in the afternoon and at home in the evening was thinking of those of the Bristol group who had tickets to see Robert Plant at Glastonbury Abbey - I really hope they enjoyed it!

Gerry

P.S. I have just realised that this post inadvertently includes references to two more things which give me a great amount of pleasure - Glastonbury Abbey also being a GWR 'Star' class - the most elegant of the GWR 4-6-0s with four cylinders making a splendid noise - and Led Zeppelin - four blokes also making a splendid noise!

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:34 pm

Lovely pictures, Danny: I do appreciate the way you do so much for us, and many thanks for your explanation and reassurance.

It looks to have been a super exhibition. No doubt the extra space has been a boon. I remember well my only trip there (it's a bit remote from my current abode!) when we took Clecklewyke from Oxford for one of its earliest outings. We were squeezed into a narrow corridor (or that is how I remember it) with behind us a large window facing south. It was one of the hottest, sunniest weekends of the year, there were enormous crowds, and we roasted! Nevertheless, I remember we were made very welcome and it was a very happy show. Such atmospheres are largely down to the organising team, so more thanks are due to Chris, one of the unsung masochists who burden themselves with the dubious pleasures of organising exhibitions.

Ian

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:18 pm

Thanks for posting the photos Danny. A rather splendid exhibition as always. I ended up buying a lot of bits...
Part of the charm of Wells is that it just wouldn't be the same in any other venue.
Some of us were trying to think of other shows that have the same kind of feel to Wells.
Uckfield and perhaps St Albans were the only ones that came to mind.

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:21 pm

I wrote: It is the work of the Devil, an enormous maze full of indecipherable words, unnecessary information, one way doors and corridors from which escape is almost impossible.

The words above were about Facebook but they could equally apply to Gateshead IKEA. It's the perfect maze, far better than Hampton Court or Blenheim Palace. They just don't want you to leave do they? The only route I could find to the check-outs was via an anonymous door which looked as though it should have "staff only" on it.

Sorry for the high-jack of this thread but my mind is still reeling after today's visit.

Ian

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:33 pm

I would have loved to have been at Wells, and thank you for the cracking photographs of the layouts on show.

I was occupied at the other side of the south of England, making some perambulations of a certain racing circuit. Some footage shot by a fellow competitor on Saturday shows exactly why, on this occasion, railways lost out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5D_Z2oBqDw&feature=youtu.be

The chance to use this bit of track comes along only very rarely, and there will hopefully be an equally good Wells show next year :-)

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:14 pm

Paul, this is absolutely frightening, on a par for me (possibly worse) as riding one of the big rollercoasters. Some of you out there will know that my wife has a passion for riding said coasters - she's ridden more than 1000 different ones around the world - and she said to me once "they're just trains, like yours" but I then pointed out that mine don't go upside down...

Philip

DaveHarris

Postby DaveHarris » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:57 am

Paul. This brings back memories of marshalling there in my youth... pity the machines weren't from Small Heath, Meriden, Bradford on Avon!

Dave H

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:19 pm

Andrew Ullyott wrote:Thanks for posting the photos Danny. A rather splendid exhibition as always. I ended up buying a lot of bits...
Part of the charm of Wells is that it just wouldn't be the same in any other venue.
Some of us were trying to think of other shows that have the same kind of feel to Wells.
Uckfield and perhaps St Albans were the only ones that came to mind.

If it's the ambience, then I agree (provided you can stand the heat!). Clevedon drew the short straw, and was assigned to The Black Hole of Calcutta (the hottest room in the show), but with the help of several electric fans (and a general drop in temperature due to the recent rain), operating the layout was quite comfortable, and proved to be good fun, even to a rooky driver such as myself.

But when it comes to content, I would put Railex at Aylesbury on an equal footing with Railwells. Both of these are really excellent finescale shows.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:58 am

DaveHarris wrote:Paul. This brings back memories of marshalling there in my youth... pity the machines weren't from Small Heath, Meriden, Bradford on Avon!

Actually, at lunchtime they were! There were parade laps by the Brooklands Museum, and a couple of owners clubs (Norton, AJS I think). Lovely sounds as they pop popped their way over Paddock Hill.

I've been on both sides of the fence, having been part of the Orange Army at the TT and MotoGP, and as a racer I always try and give them a wave of thanks on the cool-down lap after we've finished :-)

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Return to “Exhibitions”