Scalefour North 2014

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Jol Wilkinson

Re: Scalefour North 2014

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:47 am

DougN wrote:I think Jol might be onto something here.

OK I will put my hand up that I would like a NER clerestory comp or all 3rd. But being on this side of the earth makes it neigh on impossible to get hold of a kit. There does seem to be a little bit of "superannuation" style kit collection by large numbers of "modellers" though this should be collectors or even investors. Personally I want the kit to be built to complete a train I am aiming for. I am still interested if there are others with the kits out there :thumb

I know what James has written above that the kits are aimed at sale to "modellers" but the profiteers will be aiming to get their grubby mitts on them which is a shame as they will end up in dust cupboards only to be realised when they are short of cash. The number of people who build, and would continue to build the kits if they were freely available again, miss out on their aims for the lovely experience of producing a unique piece of rolling stock from these lovely kits.

I admit that my size would help with the crowd control... After 3 years ago where I was being nice... I may not be in September! :evil:

Doug,

Danny Pinnock is still producing batches of kits from time to time. I bought five NER Clerestory carriages from him (they are being built for me by Richard McLachan) to go with a LRM NER G1 to run as an excursion on London Road.

That Danny is still producing some 4mm kits is a fairly well kept secret and so keeps ebay prices high. The D&S kits now in the LRM range invariably get a higher price on ebay than a new one from LRM. This despite the fact that the LRM site states that some of the D&S kits are now in their catalogue.

So I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some of the items on the S4N B&B appear on ebay in the next few weeks.

Jol

Wizard of the Moor

Postby Wizard of the Moor » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:58 pm

Unfortunately Coopercraft will not be able to attend Scalefour North this year due to illness.
James Dickie

My workbench

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:43 pm

Just checked street view, doesn't look like much parking there.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:58 pm

Just been Googling too - looks like a 15min walk from Westgate Station.

Wizard of the Moor

Postby Wizard of the Moor » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:32 pm

There's plenty of parking in the school playground. Should get 200 cars in there if everyone parks neatly.

Turn into the main school entrance from Northgate, drive past the main building and you'll pass the show hall on the left. Turn right into the carpark and find a space. There will be a steward on duty to help.

Please don't park on the grass areas. There are a few parking spaces for disabled visitors right in front of the school assembly hall.

Scalefour North is mostly set up and looking good to go. Hope to see lots of you there over the weekend.
James Dickie

My workbench

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:28 pm

Looked like a huge parking space to me earlier this evening

S4Nth.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:34 pm

Setting up in progress at Scalefour North this evening:

DSCF1185.JPG

DSCF1187.JPG

DSCF1190.JPG

Hope to see lots of you in Wakefield this weekend.

All the Best
Danny
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dclift

Postby dclift » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:49 pm

Danny, how cruel of you to tease those of us in the antipodes with these photos.

I hope that everyone who attends has as much fun as I had in Aylesbury last year. Two days of absolute delight.

David.
David Clift.

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:00 am

My train has just departed Donny
On my way
Steve Carter

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:19 am

Mine's just departed Grantham - I went for a later start to the day!

DougN

Postby DougN » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:29 am

As David Clift has said... don't be cruel to those that cant make it.... Enjoy the retail therapy, the great modelling and catching up with old friends and new.... have a pint for all the overseas members who would love to join you.... I wonder can we skype the exhibition! :) Danny how about time setting up a account for the Scalefour soc and having us over seas members man the society stand! That would certainly be unique!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Tor Giffard

Postby Tor Giffard » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:28 pm

Excellent show guys...just arrived back in the Moorlands laden with goodies...6 x David Geen milk tank kits, 6 x Justin Newitt etches for same and 5 more of Justin's etches for the bogie bolster E. Couldn't resist a Cambrian 'dance hall' brake van kit or Mike King's 'Southern Wagons' in colour. Great to chat with some old friends and learn from the demonstrators....I think that JFS (of this parish) has hooked me with his technique for trackbuilding.

Dave

jasp

S4um

Postby jasp » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:59 pm

Excellent show, spoiled a bit by a big hall and poor catering. Had to queue for 15 minutes for a coffee!
JugtheMug

chris58

SCALEFOUR NORTH

Postby chris58 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:41 am

Good morning all
Just letting you know what a great day out i had yesterday.My friend who is an N Gauge german modeler was happy to browse the many trade stands.The atmosphere at this event was totally different to that i have experienced at other shows.Many thanks to you all for taking the time to chat and in particular John Chambers who as convinced me to try a Pembits kit for my Class 37.
Have a great Sunday
Chris Dales

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:00 am

Had a good visit although I have now made the Satnav redundant, yet another post code it doesn't recognise, and missed the left final turn and had a trip down Drury Lane before I found my way back. Surprised to see how full the car park was when I arrived some 20 minutes before opening time.
My thanks to all who put in a lot of time and effort to produce the show - S4N has always been a bit special.

Best buy - I have an increasing collection of etched GCR number plates and they are all in one box, loose! From the B&B stall, a contribution to the RNLI got me Qty 10 flat Hamlet tins which will be ideal - just need to get The Lady Downstairs to sort them now ...

John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Postby 4307 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:07 am

A much better venue this year - everything in one hall, spacious and plenty of room to move around. Well supported by traders and excellent layouts to be inspired by. Brighton Road and Flintfield did it for me. Wakefield may be twice as far away as Aylesbury but so much easier to get to (even if I do have to travel by CrossCountry!). And only a short walk from the station. Thank you to the organisers.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:28 pm

Just back, good show spoiled by poor catering and the toilets being awash.

Plenty to talk about on the way back, which is what it's all about. Virtually the entire Bristol group made it, and we are now busy planning next year's trip :!:
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:37 am

John Bateson wrote:Had a good visit although I have now made the Satnav redundant, yet another post code it doesn't recognise, and missed the left final turn and had a trip down Drury Lane before I found my way back. Surprised to see how full the car park was when I arrived some 20 minutes before opening time.
My thanks to all who put in a lot of time and effort to produce the show - S4N has always been a bit special.

John

Super friendly show, delighted to have had the weekend there, and that was even before the judges honoured me on behalf of the late Mike Jolly with the
"Eileens" award for Olton Bridge!
Well worth the necessary 06:30 start from Bristol, excellent curry, interesting and unfamiliar Ales, brilliant modelling conversations, enough shopping and easy journey home.

Wakefield plumbing leaves much to be desired....the leaky loos at the show and the yellow cascade seen from my hotel window makes you wonder :D

Please can organisers put out more street signs next year?
My SatNav accepted the address given, ie 154 Northgate but it had a nervous breakdown in the last mile while we circulated the town centre three times and asked three locals for directions. The street name on the entrance road was not Northgate but Leeds Rd......
well confused Southerner!

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:21 am

An excellent show and many congratulations to James and his team for continuing the good work that was always eveident from the previous organisng team. Yes there were some problems but as James remarked to me, those things that were under out control worked well and I am sure the team will be looking at those things that were outside their control to see what can be done better next year. One of the good things about the show was that there were around 100 more visitors than in previous years so that is a very good result. I found it good that everything was in the same hall which helped to create as buzz.

I was kept busy all weekend operating one of the fiddle yards on Brighton Road so had to settle for a quick walk round before the show opened yesterday and a slightly longer tour during the last hour. Bob Hetherington's locos on Garrigill were facinating to see and he now has an invitation to bring the layout to Scaleforum at some stage in the future.

Paul Townsend wrote:My SatNav accepted the address given, ie 154 Northgate but it had a nervous breakdown in the last mile

John Bateson wrote:I have now made the Satnav redundant, yet another post code it doesn't recognise,

I printed off a street map from the web and had no problems! :) Technology fails again! :D

Terry Bendall

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:38 am

Another excellent and enjoyable S4N and closer to the railway station as well!

It was great to catch up with friends, meet some new ones, learn things in a relaxed atmosphere and tick off nearly everything on my shopping list.

Well done to all involved.

Thank you.

Steve

P.S. Glad it wasn't summer as the thought of men wearing sandals having to use the loo is not a pleasant one!!!
Steve Carter

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:40 am

There were some much better loos at the front of the assembly hall: some better signage will help next time.

Rodney Hall's SATNAV with the voice of "an old Hungarian woman" made the search for the show very funny, as we managed to drive right past the venue. "Why don't you listen to me?"

I really enjoyed the show and it was great to see and talk to so many people and the layouts, demos and trade presence were excellent. I agree with Terry that there certainly was a very evident buzz and it was good to have everything in one hall. Fantastic too that contrary to what usually happens when a show changes venue, more people came this year. I don't know the numbers but I heard that it was the highest attendance for ten years.

We signed up four new members, which is pretty good for a show where we don't usually get many new recruits, and I also took 16 outstanding subs.

So thank you James and the team and everyone who took part for creating such a good and thoroughly enjoyable weekend; (and especially to Rod Hall for giving me a lift to and from the show).

All the Best
Danny

DSCF1197.JPG

DSCF1205.JPG

DSCF1210.JPG

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:48 pm

A good show that was worth attending if for no other reason than listening to Howard talk about track construction...

John

ianpenberth

Postby ianpenberth » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:55 pm

As in previous years, again a wonderful, friendly show. Liked the new venue, and now we've all found our way around the other side of town it'll feel much more like home again next year.

Paul Townsend wrote:we circulated the town centre three times and asked three locals for directions.
Asking locals for directions to 'Queen Elizabeth Grammar School' (especially in a southern accent) may well be met with blank looks, as it was with my taxi driver from the hotel on Saturday morning. After a brief but worrying impasse it turned out that he knew the location well, but hadn't managed immediately to connect my request with the vernacular QEGS (pronounced KWEGS).
Ian
PenBits Model Railways - Diesel bogie springing and detailing

JFS

Postby JFS » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:48 pm

John Donnelly wrote:A good show that was worth attending if for no other reason than listening to Howard talk about track construction...

John

You are too kind John! I enjoyed the whole thing too - Good Luck with turning the waffleware into hardware!

In truth I learned an awful lot from the questions so I will be (even) better prepared for Scaleforum.

Best wishes.

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:19 pm

I've just merged in jasp's comment, it seemed better placed in this thread.

Return to “Exhibitions”