Scaleforum 2014

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Colin Parks

Re: Scaleforum 2014

Postby Colin Parks » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:50 am

I wish I could have been there.

That picture of the Calcutta Sidings/New Street fiddle yard is pretty astounding! It appears to be about a scale mile long. I remember seeing a picture of the boards under construction in JSW's back garden before the track was laid. It now looks even longer. Very impressive.

Colin

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:32 pm

Hi All. A really great show, spent far too much money as usual. A big thanks to all those involved in the organizing, stewarding and making sure that everything was in place. Excellent.

All Best

Dave

John Maclean

Postby John Maclean » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:55 pm

Hello All,

just to add my thanks to all who worked so hard to make this happen.

I got off the red eye at Heathrow, rented a car, 1st stop Scaleforum. I had some great conversations, spent too much money and enjoyed seeing all those fantastic models.

I am now re-inspired!

Best,

John.

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:59 pm

MarkS wrote:... an envious 'sigh' emanates from central Canada...

Make that two 'sighs'

Cheers,

David

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:35 pm

Yes a terrific show, many thanks to everyone who made it happen. Micro layouts; huge layouts - and everything in-between. A wealth of traders plus very helpful and interesting demos. Well done all.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

ginger61

Postby ginger61 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:39 pm

Hi all, As an Aylesbury "virgin" I was very impressed with the show. Well done to the organisers who have found the right mix. Many thanks for a good day,
Cheers,
Nick

Brinkly

Postby Brinkly » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:22 pm

Very good day as always. Nice to catch up with old friends and make some new ones. Good range of layouts and traders.

Regards,

Nick.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:56 pm

Colin Parks wrote:I wish I could have been there.

That picture of the Calcutta Sidings/New Street fiddle yard is pretty astounding! It appears to be about a scale mile long. I remember seeing a picture of the boards under construction in JSW's back garden before the track was laid. It now looks even longer. Very impressive.

Colin

Not Yet Colin. It will be by the time we get to BNS/Tring

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

DavidM

Postby DavidM » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:42 pm

I would like to add my thanks to Terry and his team for such an excellent weekend - I was enthralled right up to the final minutes, when I reluctantly dragged myself away from a fascinating discussion with Steve Duckworth on the art and science of chassis construction. Congratulations to all, especially the Knutsford East team who once again provided such a warm welcome and great entertainment! Sorry I couldn't take up your invitation as a guest operator...

Well worth a trip from the other side of the world.

David Murrell
Sydney Area Group

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:05 pm

A very good day indeed. Very relaxed. Lots of space. Sorry I missed a couple of layouts. I forgot some of the things I wanted too. Great to meet so many friends.
Thank you to everyone involved.

Michael.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:24 pm

DavidM wrote:I would like to add my thanks to Terry and his team for such an excellent weekend - I was enthralled right up to the final minutes, when I reluctantly dragged myself away from a fascinating discussion with Steve Duckworth on the art and science of chassis construction. Congratulations to all, especially the Knutsford East team who once again provided such a warm welcome and great entertainment! Sorry I couldn't take up your invitation as a guest operator...

Well worth a trip from the other side of the world.

David Murrell
Sydney Area Group

Great to see you David, as well as all the rest of our Aussie friends and our other overseas members visiting this weekend. Thank you for all for the amazing zest and enthusiasm that you bring with you, as well as your kind words of appreciation to those of us who run the Society.

Hoping to see you all again before too long

All the Best
Danny

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:48 pm

martinm wrote:Excellent show!
Top marks to the exhibitors, demonstrators and stewards.

You know what I liked? Being able to finally encounter Philbax on the test track, and seeing the endless line of engines he has built.

What didn't I like? Forgetting to bring along my HO DB Br41 2-8-2 to run on the test track.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:40 am

Terry and team,

Another enjoyable show, but where was the ice cream van (Railex)?

I think the members get very good value for money if the tickets are bought in advance.
Cheaper than two pints but lasts longer!

Gordon A
Bristol

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:20 am

Another Scaleforum over and another fantastic weekend enjoyed.

Well done to everyone involved in our ‘Grand Event’ providing a full weekend shared with friends, old & new, mysteries explained (I now have no excuses not to take that RSU out of the box!), inspiration and enlightenment by the bucket load and all washed down with excellent ale from the XT Brewery Company on Saturday evening. :thumb

All of your efforts are very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Steve
Steve Carter

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:04 am

Many thanks to Terry and his team for an excellent, very friendly and relaxed show.

It started badly for me, arriving just as the last of the fish and chips were being demolished. I've never been a demonstrator before, so I struggled to get the right balance between rude intervention and friendly welcome to people who were walking past the Standard Gauge Workbench stand. Would anyone ever stop to look at our display and talk to us? Of course they did and most of the time someone was sat in front of us discussing their ideas on layout building.

The most memorable conversation went thus:

Hello, are you building a layout? (friendly smile)

Yes. (deadpan)

Is it a small one like these? (Even friendlier smile)

No (more deadpan)

What size is it? (showing as much interest as possible)

90 feet (deadpan beginning to break as laughter is suppressed)

Oh. What are you modelling? (feeling a bit foolish)

All of Carlisle. (Friendly smile)

It was Mike (Mr Judith) Edge and we had a fascinating discussion about his kits (my favourite loco is my LMS Jackshaft shunter) and his plans for Carlisle, which he is building for a client.

And thanks to my colleagues, Dave and Steve, for being such fun.

Ian

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:27 am

My only regret was not taking a camera to photograph Steve Duckworth's amazing MR motor carriage underframe - one of many lovely models he was displaying.

Steve, can you PM or email me as I have a digital underframe GA for you.

Andy
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Tim Horn

Postby Tim Horn » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:10 pm

A big thanks to Terry and the team for inviting us this weekend. We all enjoyed ourselves, the layout behaved and was fun to operate over the weekend. Thanks to all of you who stopped by and said hello, even if we had to keep going off to set our routes and select our locos. We hope it has gone some way to dispelling the myth that large P4 exhibition layouts don't exist ;)

Cheers
Tim

Calcutta Sidings Scaleforum September 2014 TJH01 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Calcutta Sidings Scaleforum September 2014 TJH02 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

37688 Calcutta Sidings Scaleforum September 2014 TJH01 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

37238 Calcutta Sidings Scaleforum September 2014 TJH01 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

37202 Calcutta Sidings Scaleforum September 2014 TJH01 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

03112 Calcutta Sidings Scaleforum September 2014 TJH01 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

37s & HSTs Calcutta Sidings Scaleforum September 2014 TJH01 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:56 pm

I'm sorry to have missed it all but like Jo life/work got in the way. Unlike Jo I didn't have to withdraw a layout because of it, I just had to go to Australia and only got back on Saturday night, and not in any fit state to attend on Sunday. But from what I've seen on here and heard from others it all seems to have gone well, so congratulations!
Rod

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:34 pm

Over the Scalefourum weekend the parts for Aylesbury waiting room were cut on the laser cutter here are the results, notr the correct brick bond.

Still a way to go but only half an hour on assembly so far.

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

newport_rod

Postby newport_rod » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:49 pm

As an exhibitor I want to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend. A superb show and many thanks to Terry and all the organising team.

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:02 pm

Well I must say a big thank you to all those involved with the exhibition. It was great to put so many faces to names on the forum. (you can forget mine for a few more years) I appologies to all those who I promised to speak too but either ran out of time, didn't find you, Or each time i walked by you, were talking to others. (Jol, you were one of these!) I didn't realise JSW and Tim Horn were hiding behind Calcutta sidings! i did want to talk to you both about the laser cutting of base boards! I can see this as a great way forward is accuracy. A note to Will, thanks for the late offer to run Knutsford but lets just say James and Warrick (My sisters Boyfriend) were at the point of do we have too.... so unfortunately I had to head off before 4.30. I still can't figure out how to get Knutsford in the luggage!... Maybe I will have to build my own NER version.

RobM.. I look forward to seeing more of you brewery layouts and Steve Howe for the completion of the Inglenook.

Good on every one for the fabulous reception we Aussies get... though Geographically I think the Australia Area Group meeting is by far the biggest. Adelaide, Melbourne, Canberra, and Sydney. No doubt more Aussies turned up on Sunday.

I had a couple of interesting comments from Dave Bradwell and Chris from Highlevel Models but you will have to wait for those! (OK EditorJames I am holding those for some words for you!)

One last thanks is to Phillip Hall who has made some offers which I might take you up on in the future! Got to get all the materials I purchased put into models!

The Committee, Terry, Flymo, et al you all deserve medals for the tireless work you put in to make exhibitions and the running of the organisation, for us members to enjoy. Well done, put your feet up with what ever drink.. you all deserve it!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

ChrisMitchell

Postby ChrisMitchell » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:20 pm

Had a great time yesterday, with some excellent layouts on display. Well worth the trip over from Belgium. Fortunately I kept a firm grip on my wallet this year. I'll post some photos when I get the chance over the next couple of days.

Any news on who was awarded the York trophy?

Chris

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:24 pm

DougN wrote:....interesting comments from Dave Bradwell....

I'm relieved that I'll only have to wait a few years now for the Peppercorn A2 chassis kit :mrgreen:
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:38 pm

ChrisMitchell wrote:Any news on who was awarded the York trophy?
Chris

Epsom I believe.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:55 pm

I'd just like to echo the comments of others and congratulate everyone who was involved in organising this year's show. I had a really good weekend and really enjoyed myself.
Thanks to all who took part too.
Even managed to acquire a rather nice siphon H kit on the bring and buy. That'll come in handy...

Return to “Exhibitions”