Scaleforum 2014

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Re: Scaleforum 2014

Postby Terry Bendall » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:15 pm

dal-t wrote:No, it's MMS

Sorry my mistake. :(

Terry Bendall

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:54 am

I've uploaded the guide (PDF) to the Scaleforum 2014 page, both of which reflect MMS being unable to attend.

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:50 pm

For those living in the desolate wastelands north of Watford trains to Aylesbury are available from Birmingham Snowhill change at Princes Risborough.

Details are: Saturday

Birmingham SH to Aylesbury @ 12 mins past the hour

Aylesbury to Birmingham SH @ 31 mins past the hour.

The train also stops at Solihull and Warwick Parkway.

Sunday

Outward as Saturday

Return 55 mins past the hour.

Trains are also available from Wolverhampton and Birmingham New Street via Banbury and Princes Risborough.

You are requested to wash off your Wode and leave your whippets and flat caps at home.

regards

Alan

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:54 am

Thanks for posting the information Alan. Just to make it clear, this route involves a change at Princes Rsborough as Alan says onto the shuttle service to Aylesbury. This is normally provided by a class 121 "Bubble car" unit so for those who enjoy an unusual route when using the trains and some vintage traction it is an interesting way to make the journey from Birmingham.

Terry Bendall

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:05 am

The bubble car only operates the Princes Risborough shuttle on weekdays, weekends it tends to be a 165 unit, the trip over the branch is quite pleasant running along the base of the Chiltern Hills. This was the first line in England to be converted from broad to standard gauge in 1868

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:12 pm

Hi Terry
I know the car park cameras will be turned off over the Scalefourum weekend, I will be driving the Wild Swan stand and was going to leave the van over night on Sunday evening and take it back Monday morning and did not want a parking fine. at Railex we normally make sure they are turned off until Monday lunchtime.
David

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:24 am

Because of long journies, a few exhibitors are staying over on Sunday night. I will ask the Stadium if the car park cameras can be turned off for Sunday night.

Terry Bendall

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:22 am

A late change to the layouts at Scaleforum. Unfortunately Jo Palmer has had to withdraw her layout Lower Exbury form the show because of pressures of work. Some people will know that Jo and her husband run a picture framing business and they have a very large job on at present where the completion date has been brought forward to enable the artist involved to show their work at a forthcoming exhibition. Jo feels that she cannot spare the time to come to Scaleforum. I am sure than anyone who has even run their own business will appreciate the dilemma. We hope that Jo will be able to bring Lower Exbury along in 2015.

In place of Lower Exbury, we are very pleased that Andrew Ulyott has agreed to bring his much admired Wheal Elizabeth to Scaleforum. The layout has now been extended and is run as a through layout with fiddle yards at both ends and features a passenger service as well as the freight workings. Andrew had been invited to attend in 2015 anyway so we are just bringing things forward a year. Those who have seen the planned line up will know that Andrew was due to do the Getting Started in P4 demonstration and we are currently dicussing how to continue that. Details wil be posted once they are finalised. A description of Wheal Elizabeth will be posted on the web site just as soon as wemaster John has the time to do it.

In addition we have to announce that Isinglass Drawings are unable to attend due to ill health.

These changes and others already announced will mean that the layout of the show will not be quite the same as that shown in the show guide, which I gather should be with members in the next day or so. A revised hall layout will be published on the web site as soon as it has been done and copies will be posted in the exhibition hall. The hall is not that big so I don't think anyone will get lost looking for a stand. :)

Terry Bendall

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:23 pm

The website's scaleforum page has now been updated to reflect those changes.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:40 am

The Getting Started in P4 demonstration at Scaleforum will be run by webmaster John on the Saturday of the show and by Keith Norgrove on the Sunday. We are very grateful to John and Keith for agreing to help out. We will have an interesting contrast in that John is fairly new to working to P4 standards so he will still remember all those things that he has solved :) and Keith of course has many years of experience to share.

Terry Bendall

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:25 am

Terry Bendall wrote:The Getting Started in P4 demonstration at Scaleforum will be run by webmaster John on the Saturday

Thanks Terry. Those of you with good memories may recall I was hoping to do this a couple of years ago, but it was my turn then to have work collide with Scaleforum (In my case, an unplanned couple of months onsite with my then customer). So I'm really pleased to be able to step in and do the demo on Saturday.

I'll try to remember to bring along the various bits I'm working on. I don't think anything is actually finished yet, so my various projects still count as new to P4!

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:09 pm

Another update to the scaleforum website: Terry has supplied me with a revised floor plan, and stand numbers for the traders.

I'm conducting a small experiment with the page listing traders. It's designed to print in a way that's hopefully more useful when committed to paper or PDF. Feedback on whether this is useful would be appreciated (I'll be watching for people with printouts at the show!).

Note that the page can be sorted by stand number or trader name.

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:18 am

John: showing the URL in the PDF/printed version works well for me. Possibly useful if one wants to look them up on a 'phone during the show.

PDF version come out with a grey strip down the left-hand side, cutting through the start of the traders names. This is presumably an accident, as it doesn't help readability.

Printing from PDF: the print preview on my Mac suggests that the lowest line on page 1 will be half cut off by the bottom margin; is this tweakable in a way that works on all computers? I haven't actually printed it, not having a printer at home, but I could test print on Monday if it helps.

Cheers,
Guy

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:44 am

Thanks for the feedback Guy. I've had another go - so if you could reload the page, and see what looks different when you print (or preview)? Hopefully the grey bar at least has gone, and perhaps that odd line splitting.

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:33 pm

That works fine. The grey stripe is gone and the page split is neatly between two entries.

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:58 pm

Thanks Guy!

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:42 pm

James Dickie has updated the online Scaleforum Guide, with details of the various late changes - including Wheal Elizabeth replacing Lower Exbury.

Download it here (PDF)

(Note that older links to the previous version will now download this version 3 of the guide)

Edited, a few minutes after posting, with v3 of the guide with minor error corrections. James has had a busy night!
Last edited by John McAleely on Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adjust url to v3 of the guide

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:32 am

I know that maintaining the guide against a moving target is hard, but the floor plan in the current (9.25am Sunday) download of Scaleforum Guide isn't the same as the revised floorplan from the website page.

I suggest, as a minimal change, writing something over the guide page with the floorplan to indicate it isn't correct any more, and where the correct plan can be found.

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:13 am

I would guess that the floor plan download is the most correct as of this post.

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:51 am

nigelcliffe wrote:I know that maintaining the guide against a moving target is hard

James appears to be up for the challenge, and has uploaded v4 of the guide here.

Wizard of the Moor

Postby Wizard of the Moor » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:54 am

I do apologize, Nigel. At some point I will have to accept that computers and 3 for 2 offers on bottle of Theakstons XB don't mix.

Now, if some kind soul would like to write a WMF to PPP convertor then steps could be made towards automating this somewhat tedious part of the process... :P
James Dickie

My workbench

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:31 pm

New member packs made up and all the associated bits and pieces that I'll need for Scaleforum packed today...

packed.jpg

So other than a few last minute things, plus my own personal stuff, I'm ready to go.

Roll on next weekend :D

All the Best
Danny
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:12 am

dcockling wrote:So other than a few last minute things, plus my own personal stuff, I'm ready to go.

Some people are so well organised its makes you sick! :D :D

If you pop round one evening this week Danny you can cut up some tickets. :D

Terry Bendall

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:16 am

I'll say both of you are organised! I too have a small box coming with me!... And I left a week and a half ago. (Wonder what my crazy beagle is up too with his sitter :o )

Comming from paris at the moment!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:17 pm

DougN wrote:I'll say both of you are organised! I too have a small box coming with me!... And I left a week and a half ago. (Wonder what my crazy beagle is up too with his sitter :o )

Comming from paris at the moment!

By Eurostar I trust Doug? :)
Steve Carter

Return to “Exhibitions”