Scaleforum 2014

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: Scaleforum 2014

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:00 pm

Steve Carter wrote:
DougN wrote:I'll say both of you are organised! I too have a small box coming with me!... And I left a week and a half ago. (Wonder what my crazy beagle is up too with his sitter :o )

Comming from paris at the moment!

By Eurostar I trust Doug? :)

It's the only way to travel...

Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:48 pm

You are absolutely correct... Chessy to Lille then St pancras for the early evening. So far only one station has baffled us... With few signs to the platform... The RER needs to fix one or 2 signs! But we ended up exactly where we needed to be. Disneyland is what it is... But I have a very happy little girl, her brother even lightened up... He gets legoland in Malaysia on the way home!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:20 am

DougN wrote:You are absolutely correct... Chessy to Lille then St pancras for the early evening. So far only one station has baffled us... With few signs to the platform... The RER needs to fix one or 2 signs! But we ended up exactly where we needed to be. Disneyland is what it is... But I have a very happy little girl, her brother even lightened up... He gets legoland in Malaysia on the way home!

Not taking him to Pecorama then, Doug?

jayell

Postby jayell » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:50 am

Jol Wilkinson wrote:Not taking him to Pecorama then, Doug?

Beer isn't exactly easy to get to from Aylesbury, nearest station is at Axminster on the Waterloo-Exeter line but then 10? miles of narrow, twisty roads from there, there is probably a bus service but taxi may be simpler.

John

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:09 pm

Regretably another trader has had to withdraw from Scaleforum also because of poor health. Ten Commandments will not be present.

Must be something that the modellers do to their suppliers! :)

Terry Bendall

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:11 pm

johnlewis wrote:
Jol Wilkinson wrote:Not taking him to Pecorama then, Doug?

Beer isn't exactly easy to get to from Aylesbury

:?: Plenty of real ale to be had in Aylesbury :mrgreen:
Steve Carter

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:31 pm

Is there any replacements for the traders that have dropped out, as there are still to be confirmed spots?

On the Risborough MRC stand we will have our laser cutter, and will be cutting out the parts for some of the buildings on our Aylesbury layout, we should also be cutting out GWR pagoda huts weighbridge and lamp huts which we will have as scratch aids for those who would like one you can see you kit being cut as you wait.

David

DougN

Postby DougN » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:16 pm

Strangely the boy is not really into trains... It is Lego that he loves.. But so did I when I was his size. Trains might come back only time will tell.

Im really looking forward to saturday at the moment... I am here in London. Dinner with my sister and her boyfriend. Ahh holidays they are great.

All the best from Kings Cross now.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:47 am

David Bigcheeseplant wrote:Is there any replacements for the traders that have dropped out, as there are still to be confirmed spots?

There are no replacements for any of the traders who have dropped out. We had no one on the waiting list who wanted to come, which we have had in the past, and there were no obvious candidates anyway. Whilst we don't have absolutely every type of trader that we could have, most areas are covered.

The presence of Wheal Elizabeth, which is larger than Lower Exbury, means that some of the gaps have been filled and we have been able to ease things a bit in other places. Orginally things were more cramped than we would have linked.

David Bigcheeseplant wrote:On the Risborough MRC stand we will have our laser cutter,

This will be a good chance for those who come to see a laser cutter in action, and yes we have done the risk assessment.

Terry Bendall

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:04 am

I am not entirely clear as to the starting point of the Scaleforum bus (coach) in Aylesbury. (I shall probably use the coach on the Saturday).

The show guide says "from Aylesbury railway station car park", but some comments in this thread seem to suggest that this is not exactly the same location from which the Railex bus leaves in May (which is the railway-owned pay-and-display car park to the south of the station entrance).

Could this be clarified, please.

I note that the 'bus' will be a coach owned ny 'Heyfordian', but the question is precisely where in the vicinity of the station we should be looking out for it.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:03 am

martin goodall wrote: but the question is precisely where in the vicinity of the station we should be looking out for it.

I have asked the coach company to confirm the exact location and when I have that it will be posted on here.

Terry Bendall

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:35 am

Today is the last opportunity to buy a ticket online in advance. After midnight tonight, ticket sales will be on the door.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:08 am

Terry Bendall wrote:I have asked the coach company to confirm the exact location and when I have that it will be posted on here.

I have been advised by the coach company that the pick up point will be the service bus stop opposite the main station entrance. You will find a picture of the coach to be used on the web site as soon as webmaster John has time to post it up.

Terry Bendall

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:32 am

Done. It had to be small to fit with the text on the page, so here it is in full, for all the bus & coach spotters:

heyfordian-coach.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:58 am

I have been informed today that because of building work, the arrangements that we made three months ago to make use of some of the car park space in the adjacent Stoke Mandeville Hospital cannot now be implemented. We will have some car park space on the hospital site that we can us, and the car park stewards will be able to direct you to the right spot, but there won't be as much space as we had hoped. We are sorry about this but it is out of our control.

If you do make use of car parking space in the hospital, please make sure that you get one of our permits, otherwise you may get clamped or fined. :( If the available space is full it may be easier to find a spot on local roads but please do not block entrances.

Terry Bendall

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:01 am

On the home straight now with a few things to get done this morning before I set off for the stadium at 12.30.

For those who have difficulty in following the standard A&E signs which will take you to the entrance road of the stadium you will find direction signs fixed to posts of signs etc in the last 3/4 mile. Look for black lettering on a yellow background and the word "Scaleforum"!

No prizes for guessing what I was doing last night. :)

And yes we did ask for permission to do it. :)

Terry Bendall

DavidM

Postby DavidM » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:21 am

If you do make use of car parking space in the hospital, please make sure that you get one of our permits, otherwise you may get clamped or fined. :( If the available space is full it may be easier to find a spot on local roads but please do not block entrances.

So where do we get these permits from Terry?

David

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:28 am

DavidM wrote:

So where do we get these permits from Terry?

As I understand things, the parking stewards will have them, or be able to let you know how to get one. I think they are only needed for the overflow parking in the hospital.

Jo Palmer

Postby Jo Palmer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:31 am

I hope everyone has a great time at Scaleforum this year. I'm really sorry that work pressures meant that I couldn't bring Lower Exbury along as planned. It is the first Scaleforum I am missing for more years than I care to think about and I was looking forward to coming as an exhibitor. But life just gets in the way sometimes.

Anyway, hope the weekend goes well and that everyone gets to enjoy another fantastic Scaleforum.

Jo

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:45 pm

Jo Palmer wrote:I hope everyone has a great time at Scaleforum this year. I'm really sorry that work pressures meant that I couldn't bring Lower Exbury along as planned. It is the first Scaleforum I am missing for more years than I care to think about and I was looking forward to coming as an exhibitor. But life just gets in the way sometimes.

Anyway, hope the weekend goes well and that everyone gets to enjoy another fantastic Scaleforum.

Jo

:cry:

Don't work too hard Jo, see you soon :thumb

Steve
Steve Carter

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:37 am

DavidM wrote:So where do we get these permits from Terry?

John McAleely wrote:As I understand things, the parking stewards will have them, or be able to let you know how to get one. I think they are only needed for the overflow parking in the hospital.

John is correct.

Terry Bendall

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:28 pm

So Scaleforum is under way for another year

S4um005.jpg

S4um004.jpg

S4um003.jpg

S4um002.jpg

S4um001.jpg

If you haven't arrived yet, we'll hope to see you later or on Sunday

All the Best
Danny
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

martinm

Postby martinm » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:14 pm

Excellent show!
Top marks to the exhibitors, demonstrators and stewards.
martin

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:47 pm

... an envious 'sigh' emanates from central Canada...
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

DaveHarris

Postby DaveHarris » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:49 pm

I would just like to second the lead comment. The layouts were great, the traders very helpful, the demonstrators were also extremely helpful: that coupled with an extremely well organised event in a very good venue made for an excellent day... well done all! :D Oh, almost forgot..many thanks to Dave Carter for his excellent lecture on his life working with breakdown teams. Can we have a bigger room for such excellent lectures in the future please? :D

Return to “Exhibitions”