Scaleforum 2014

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
User avatar
Horsetan
Posts: 930
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:24 am

Re: Scaleforum 2014

Postby Horsetan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:37 pm

Tim V wrote:
ChrisMitchell wrote:Any news on who was awarded the York trophy?
Chris

Epsom I believe.


Knutsford should have won it.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

User avatar
Will L
Posts: 1656
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: Scaleforum 2014

Postby Will L » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:47 pm

Horsetan wrote:Knutsford should have won it.


Nice of you to say that, but we'll settle for the MRJ Challis

User avatar
Jol Wilkinson
Posts: 782
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Scaleforum 2014

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:42 am

Will,

I think you mean the MRJ Chalice, unless you were awarded the organiser of Scalefour Southwest.

Congratulations either way.

Jol

User avatar
Alastairr
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:45 pm

Re: Scaleforum 2014

Postby Alastairr » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:16 am

My first visit to Scaleforum and Aylesbury, having made the trip to the Northern version for a few years I thought it was about time to try the main event. An early start to make the trip down the M6 and M40 didn't put me off, advance ticket purchase worked well - no queuing and straight in. No issues parking in the main car park.

I thought it was an excellent show. Very relaxed feel and you could quite happily see all the layouts and talk to traders without any issues. Excellent mix of layouts, particularly nice to see Calcutta Sidings showing large P4 could be done (extremely impressive fiddle yard and stock). Thanks for the Lowburn Park boys for giving Chris Gibbons running rights to see my North Staffs battery electric loco move for the first time - Chris said he hadn't seen one finished yet. Enjoyable 'banter' when Chris asked them "is this P4?" Thanks to John on the demo stand for the advice on pickup design. The soldering demo stand looked extremely busy!

Like others spent too much money...but came away suitably inspired and educated.

Thanks,

Alastair

essdee
Posts: 380
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:47 pm

Re: Scaleforum 2014

Postby essdee » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:19 am

Hi guys
Just a quickie am away from home and will reply all from saturday eve

many thanks to terry and team for a superb experience and to all who dropped by to chat and for kind words re my models

speak soon
BW
steve duckworth

User avatar
John McAleely
Posts: 1114
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: Scaleforum 2014

Postby John McAleely » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:39 am

AER_2263 wrote:Thanks to John on the demo stand for the advice on pickup design.


Thank you. It's good to match name, face and forum login too! I think most of the advice actually came from nigelcliffe - my own experience remains limited :-)

User avatar
jayell
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 8:20 am

Re: Scaleforum 2014

Postby jayell » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:12 pm

Now we are back home from visiting a couple of daughters who happen to live near Aylesbury, I too would like to say thank you to the organisers and exhibitors. Like many I spent too much over the whole weekend, thankfully some of the expenditure going on railway stuff. My wife was impressed with the laser cutter demo but very quickly told me I couldn't have one :( , but I did buy one of the demo GWR lamphuts and some corrugated foil from Ambis so can have a go at putting it together.

I tried running my Gibson 850 on the test track and found it ran perfectly rather than falling off due to the tyres not running truly which suggests that my 'yard' of test track has something wrong with it. Unfortunately I only managed 3/4 of a full circuit before the battery (or something else) died so was unable to give it a good run, fortunately Paul had seen it run on a bit of test track on the Society stand so I can claim publicly that my concept of a battery powered, radio controlled GWR Saddle Tank loco is a least partially succesfull :D

I had a chat with Terry about taking the loco apart which gave us a chance to meet in person rather than only via postings here. I spent a lot of time with Howard talking about working point rodding and over an hour at the resistance soldering demo (I know it was that long 'cos my wife commented on how long I'd been sat there)

I didn't give the layouts as much time as they deserved but that was partly because we had to leave earlier than I'd have liked due to having to get to Bedford in time for tea.

A really enjoyable visit (and I may try to visit without my wife next year)

John Lewis

User avatar
Brian Harrap
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:43 pm

Re: Scaleforum 2014

Postby Brian Harrap » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:14 pm

I'd just like to say a thank you to all those who were kind enough to stop by at my Axalp layout for a chat, some of you I knew, some I didn't. Anyway it was much appreciated by me that so many showed an interest in something which is just a little 'off the wall' and certainly not P4. It was also nice to welcome a guest appearance of some exquisite Danish stock brought along by Geraint Hughes and some more by Ian Thompson, thanks both, such fun. I and my team, John Farmer and Tim Maddocks, had a very pleasant weekend playing trains and hopefully not sending too many of them up a line where there was no track of their gauge if you see what I mean. Thanks again everyone for making it such an enjoyable show . Brian.
Last edited by Brian Harrap on Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Horsetan
Posts: 930
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:24 am

Re: Scaleforum 2014

Postby Horsetan » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:21 pm

Brian Harrap wrote:I'd just like to say a thank you to all those who were kind enough to stop by at my Axalp layout for a chat, some of you I knew, some I didn't. Anyway it was much appreciated by me that so many showed an interest in something which is just a little 'off the wall' and certainly not P4. I and my team had a very pleasant weekend playing trains and hopefully not sending too many of them up a line where there was no track of their gauge if you see what I mean. Thanks again everyone for making it such an enjoyable show . Brian.


Can you bring your lathe again?
That would be an ecumenical matter.

User avatar
Brian Harrap
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:43 pm

Re: Scaleforum 2014

Postby Brian Harrap » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:26 pm

Can you bring your lathe again?[/quote]
You should have asked at the show Ivan, it was in the van. B

User avatar
Horsetan
Posts: 930
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:24 am

Re: Scaleforum 2014

Postby Horsetan » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:38 pm

Brian Harrap wrote:
Can you bring your lathe again?

You should have asked at the show Ivan, it was in the van. B


*starts kicking himself*
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Tim Horn
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:23 pm

Re: Scaleforum 2014

Postby Tim Horn » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:58 pm

DougN wrote:Well I must say a big thank you to all those involved with the exhibition. It was great to put so many faces to names on the forum. (you can forget mine for a few more years) I appologies to all those who I promised to speak too but either ran out of time, didn't find you, Or each time i walked by you, were talking to others. (Jol, you were one of these!) I didn't realise JSW and Tim Horn were hiding behind Calcutta sidings! i did want to talk to you both about the laser cutting of base boards! I can see this as a great way forward is accuracy. A note to Will, thanks for the late offer to run Knutsford but lets just say James and Warrick (My sisters Boyfriend) were at the point of do we have too.... so unfortunately I had to head off before 4.30. I still can't figure out how to get Knutsford in the luggage!... Maybe I will have to build my own NER version.

RobM.. I look forward to seeing more of you brewery layouts and Steve Howe for the completion of the Inglenook.

Good on every one for the fabulous reception we Aussies get... though Geographically I think the Australia Area Group meeting is by far the biggest. Adelaide, Melbourne, Canberra, and Sydney. No doubt more Aussies turned up on Sunday.

I had a couple of interesting comments from Dave Bradwell and Chris from Highlevel Models but you will have to wait for those! (OK EditorJames I am holding those for some words for you!)

One last thanks is to Phillip Hall who has made some offers which I might take you up on in the future! Got to get all the materials I purchased put into models!

The Committee, Terry, Flymo, et al you all deserve medals for the tireless work you put in to make exhibitions and the running of the organisation, for us members to enjoy. Well done, put your feet up with what ever drink.. you all deserve it!


Hi Doug,

I did think of you when the PA announced the inaugural Australian meet. It would have been good to have had a chat, I've also just got delivery of a new machine which will burn through 8ft by 5ft sheets :)

You could have had a play on Calcutta as well whilst Jim and I put our feet up :D

Cheers
Tim

User avatar
BRUNEL
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Scaleforum 2014

Postby BRUNEL » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:27 pm

Thank you for a wonderful Scaleforum - one of the best in my view. My hope is that the organising team will be rewarded with an operating surplus, if only a small one. Well done!

Derek

User avatar
ChrisMitchell
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Scaleforum 2014

Postby ChrisMitchell » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:52 pm

Here are some pictures of Wheal Elizabeth, Calcutta Sidings, Llanastr and Midland Sidings
Attachments
Scaleforum2014_6.jpg
Scaleforum2014_7.jpg
Scaleforum2014_5.jpg
Scaleforum2014_8.jpg
Scaleforum2014_1.jpg
Scaleforum2014_2.jpg
Scaleforum2014_3.jpg
Scaleforum2014_10.jpg
Scaleforum2014_9.jpg

User avatar
Jol Wilkinson
Posts: 782
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Scaleforum 2014

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:11 pm

DougN wrote:Well I must say a big thank you to all those involved with the exhibition. It was great to put so many faces to names on the forum. (you can forget mine for a few more years) I appologies to all those who I promised to speak too but either ran out of time, didn't find you, Or each time i walked by you, were talking to others. (Jol, you were one of these!) I didn't realise JSW and Tim Horn were hiding behind Calcutta sidings! i did want to talk to you both about the laser cutting of base boards! I can see this as a great way forward is accuracy. A note to Will, thanks for the late offer to run Knutsford but lets just say James and Warrick (My sisters Boyfriend) were at the point of do we have too.... so unfortunately I had to head off before 4.30. I still can't figure out how to get Knutsford in the luggage!... Maybe I will have to build my own NER version.

RobM.. I look forward to seeing more of you brewery layouts and Steve Howe for the completion of the Inglenook.

Good on every one for the fabulous reception we Aussies get... though Geographically I think the Australia Area Group meeting is by far the biggest. Adelaide, Melbourne, Canberra, and Sydney. No doubt more Aussies turned up on Sunday.

I had a couple of interesting comments from Dave Bradwell and Chris from Highlevel Models but you will have to wait for those! (OK EditorJames I am holding those for some words for you!)

One last thanks is to Phillip Hall who has made some offers which I might take you up on in the future! Got to get all the materials I purchased put into models!

The Committee, Terry, Flymo, et al you all deserve medals for the tireless work you put in to make exhibitions and the running of the organisation, for us members to enjoy. Well done, put your feet up with what ever drink.. you all deserve it!


Hi Doug,

we did speak briefly, I recall asking your son if he was looking forward to Legoland.

It was particularly busy on Saturday for London Road Models and I regret we didn't get time to chat more.

Regards,

Jol

David Catton
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:23 pm

Re: Scaleforum 2014

Postby David Catton » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:14 pm

Nothing to do with the organisers but the journey from home near Chesterfield down the M1 southwards on Saturday was dire. Long stretches of 50 mph restrictions with Gatso cameras measuring average speed to raise one's blood pressure and then warnings that Junction 14 was causing delays. This proved an understatement and after queuing for several miles with all the other southbound traffic and seeing stationary vehicles on the roundabout above the M1 I continued to J13 and headed for Leighton Buzzard. Before I got that far, I saw a signpost in Hockliffe indicating Aylesbury so decided to go that way and avoid Leighton Buzzard. Arriving at the A505, it was closed completely so I ended up going via Dunstable and taking an hour longer than I had estimated to reach the Stadium.

Never mind I thought, I won't try to go back the way I came but use the A413 to get to Junction 15A. I set off and at a roundabout a few miles north of Aylesbury found a police car blocking the road ahead. The very sympathetic policewoman standing beside her car told me I would have to find another route so I followed a number of small lanes, none of which provided any signposts that convinced me I was progressing towards Towcester and the M1 but I did eventually get there and back to the long stretches at 50 mph.

While I did enjoy this Scaleforum, I confess my feelings about attempting to visit future Scaleforums at Aylesbury have been greatly affected by Saturday's experience. I did consider travelling by train from Chesterfield but the need for several changes if trying to travel fairly directly or via London if choosing to make only one change means even my extended car journeys were shorter in time than the train services.

I may be the only visitor who has a grouse about getting to Aylesbury but I certainly feel there must be better locations than the current one, given our third world motorway system and the trains servicing the town.

The organising team have obviously done their best but I hope there might be an early review of the location of the Society's premier event.

David C

Terry Bendall
Posts: 1634
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:46 am

Re: Scaleforum 2014

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:20 am

David Catton wrote:I may be the only visitor who has a grouse about getting to Aylesbury but I certainly feel there must be better locations than the current one, given our third world motorway system and the trains servicing the town.


Well you are the only person so far David. Whe the proposal to move Scaleforum to Aylesbury was first raised there was a great deal of discusion about venues on here. When I was in the process of trying to find a venue I looked at around 35 different places - the criteria being that it should be to the north of London, but not too far out - with 50 - 60 miles and roughly within an area bounded by the M40 on the west and the M1 to the east. The venue obviously had to have good transport links, have the space that we needed, and be available at a price that we could afford. The Stoke Mandeville Stadium was the only available one that came close to meeting the criteria and as we all know rail links are not that good and there is insufficient parking. I would be delighted to receive information about alternative venues that meet or come close to the criteria, but I don't think one exists.

If you got to Hockcliffe then there were alternative routes to Aylesbury through Leighton Buzzard which would have avoided the A 505 and which do not require a degree in map reading to work out. The local council, or perhaps the Department of Transport seem to have a policy of using signposts to send motorists halfway round the moon to keep them out of the tqwn centre. Unfortunately we do not have any control over road repairs.

I go to quite a lot of exhibitions in the course of a year, often as an exhibitor but also as a visitor. My journey to Wakefield this year for Scalefour North took 5 1/2 hours on the way up but only 2 1/2 hours on the way home on the Sunday night and the speed restrictions that you encountered were in place then. That will not stop me going to Scalefour North again and in any case we have a layout there next year and after that I have a booking to do a lathe demonstration, apart from being on the Society stand so I cannot avoid it even if I wonted to, and I don't! I have experienced similar delays on a Friday afternoon when going to other shows and as a matter of routine, I now avoid the M1 going north and use the A5 as far as Hinksey and then go from there.

I am always interested to see that the 2800 or so vistors that go to RailEx at the same venue appear to be able to find the venue, and find somewhere to park, if they choose to come by car, but our visitors have more difficulty. Perhaps there is a theory for that. :) Still at least you enjoyed the show. :D

Terry Bendall

User avatar
Jol Wilkinson
Posts: 782
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Scaleforum 2014

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:54 am

David Catton wrote:Nothing to do with the organisers but the journey from home near Chesterfield down the M1 southwards on Saturday was dire. Long stretches of 50 mph restrictions with Gatso cameras measuring average speed to raise one's blood pressure and then warnings that Junction 14 was causing delays. This proved an understatement and after queuing for several miles with all the other southbound traffic and seeing stationary vehicles on the roundabout above the M1 I continued to J13 and headed for Leighton Buzzard. Before I got that far, I saw a signpost in Hockliffe indicating Aylesbury so decided to go that way and avoid Leighton Buzzard. Arriving at the A505, it was closed completely so I ended up going via Dunstable and taking an hour longer than I had estimated to reach the Stadium.

Never mind I thought, I won't try to go back the way I came but use the A413 to get to Junction 15A. I set off and at a roundabout a few miles north of Aylesbury found a police car blocking the road ahead. The very sympathetic policewoman standing beside her car told me I would have to find another route so I followed a number of small lanes, none of which provided any signposts that convinced me I was progressing towards Towcester and the M1 but I did eventually get there and back to the long stretches at 50 mph.

While I did enjoy this Scaleforum, I confess my feelings about attempting to visit future Scaleforums at Aylesbury have been greatly affected by Saturday's experience. I did consider travelling by train from Chesterfield but the need for several changes if trying to travel fairly directly or via London if choosing to make only one change means even my extended car journeys were shorter in time than the train services.

I may be the only visitor who has a grouse about getting to Aylesbury but I certainly feel there must be better locations than the current one, given our third world motorway system and the trains servicing the town.

The organising team have obviously done their best but I hope there might be an early review of the location of the Society's premier event.

David C


David,

perhaps we should speak to our politicians about the bl**dy awful road network we have.

When I went took London Road to expoEM North a few weeks ago, a 4 1/4 hour journey (according the SatNaV and Google maps) took 7-3/4 hours. Earlier this year the trip to S4North took 5-3/4 hours instead of 3-3/4.

Travelling to S4um at Leatherhead around the M25 was regularly affected by problems around the Heathrow area, or later around Dorking/Dartford Crossing when I moved house.

The stress free answer may be to travel very early in the morning or late at night and stay over. I don't think any location will ever be free from travel problems as the roads become more crowded and the lack of investment in road and rail takes its toll.

Jol

jasp
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:24 am

Re: Scaleforum 2014

Postby jasp » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:04 am

My experience was quite the reverse, despite losing my outward train ticket and having to go to Sheffield via Manchester to get a lift from Steve Duckworth.
The return trip was virtually effortless: Plenty trains to Marylebone, a 30 minute walk to Euston Virgin Pendolino to Glasgow - four and a half hours, £15 weekend upgrade to First class, free tea, coffee, soft drinks and snacks, free WiFi, three people in the coach. Great!
I really enjoyed the show but, overall, a lot of effort for the reward. I would go again but not on a yearly basis, unlike S4um North
My trip made me appreciate living in (NON-INDEPENDENT!!) Scotland. Yes we have traffic jams etc but the volume of vehicles must be tiny compared to the South.
Thanks Terry for an enjoyable show and thanks to Steve for the taxi service.
Jim P

billbedford
Posts: 680
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:40 pm

Re: Scaleforum 2014

Postby billbedford » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:23 am

David Catton wrote:Nothing to do with the organisers but the journey from home near Chesterfield down the M1 southwards on Saturday was dire. Long stretches of 50 mph restrictions with Gatso cameras measuring average speed to raise one's blood pressure and then warnings that Junction 14 was causing delays. This proved an understatement and after queuing for several miles with all the other southbound traffic and seeing stationary vehicles on the roundabout above the M1 I continued to J13 and headed for Leighton Buzzard. Before I got that far, I saw a signpost in Hockliffe indicating Aylesbury so decided to go that way and avoid Leighton Buzzard. Arriving at the A505, it was closed completely so I ended up going via Dunstable and taking an hour longer than I had estimated to reach the Stadium.


Experience has told me to keep well away from the M1. So I would suggest using the M1/A42/M42/M40/A41 next year, though the M42 can be very busy if there is something big on at the NEC. My route planner thinks that this route will take about 10 minutes longer than using the M1.
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa.biz

User avatar
Martin Wynne
Posts: 821
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: Scaleforum 2014

Postby Martin Wynne » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:43 am

The obvious way to avoid the traffic and parking hassle is to go by train, especially when a show lays on a special bus service from the station. There's a train every hour from Birmingham Moor Street with only one change at Princes Risborough and no significant wait. Moor Street is only a 2-minute walk from Birmingham New Street and anyone from the frozen north can get to there. The new venue is a doddle compared to the unremitting hell of getting to Leatherhead.

My journey a fortnight before to Urmston for ExpoEM was just as trouble-free. It meant 4 changes and 5 trains, but I was in the show by mid-morning with no problems. With a ride on the top deck of a vintage bus as a bonus.

Be a proper railway enthusiast and go by train. Image

Martin.
40 years developing Templot. And counting ...

User avatar
jayell
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 8:20 am

Re: Scaleforum 2014

Postby jayell » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:10 am

Martin Wynne wrote:Be a proper railway enthusiast and go by train.
Martin.


I think I might consider using the train next year if I attend on my own (cost of train fares for self and wife justify using the car) _and_ if I can avoid visiting the family members who choose to live in the 'Far East' rather than the West Country ;)

John

PS I think I will have to have a name tag that says I'm not the 'famous John Lewis' next year :thumb

JFS
Posts: 666
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:47 pm

Re: Scaleforum 2014

Postby JFS » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:57 am

David Catton wrote:Nothing to do with the organisers but the journey from home near Chesterfield down the M1 southwards on Saturday was dire.

David C



I am surprised that you did not think to use the A38 / M42 / M40 - I was traveling from Derby and had no holdups whatsoever even though I was traveling on Friday Afternoon and Sunday evening which are as bad as it gets. After all, the roadworks on the M1 have been very well publicised.

Personally, I found the whole event a joy (many thanks to every one who stopped by to have a chat) and neither the journey nor the location held any issues whatsoever.

But then I was always lucky... (or do I get better with practice?)

Best wishes,

Philip Hall
Posts: 1287
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:49 pm

Re: Scaleforum 2014

Postby Philip Hall » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:48 am

Leatherhead used to be very convenient for me (half an hour away) but even I had troubles going back along the M25 in the evening, so a long detour was often in order. Aylesbury is a much longer drive, but on the Sunday evening I decided to return to Thorpe the 'country way' through High Wycombe and Windsor, ignoring the SatNav which always wants to put you on another clogged up motorway! This was much more agreeable even though it added half an hour to the journey.

There is no real answer to this one. The roads are busy, we need to travel on a Friday night if we're setting up, and go home on a Sunday when everyone else is heading home after the weekend. Wherever you put Scaleforum some folk are going to hit monstrous traffic on the way.

Philip

User avatar
Brian Harrap
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:43 pm

Re: Scaleforum 2014

Postby Brian Harrap » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:38 pm

I wish there was more stuff about railway modelling and exhibiting on here and a lot less about navigating the vagaries of the motorway/rail systems. Just a thought. B


Return to “Exhibitions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest