Scalefour North 2013

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Ian Everett

Re: Scalefour North 2013

Postby Ian Everett » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:39 am

I've just bought this for submariners who want to see Humber Dock at Scalefour North.

At some shows I've seen periscopes offered to "short" or wheel-chair-bound visitors at the ticket desk so they can see eye level layouts. Do we at S4N?

Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:30 pm

Are you sure the submarine would come in submerged :D
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:27 pm

Any targeting markings on the optics?

gordon A
Bristol

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:17 am

steamraiser wrote:Any targeting markings on the optics?

gordon A
Bristol

It has a laser detector for any EM gauge layouts invited by mistake. :D

Ian

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:50 am

Better not point it at Martin Goodall, it could get confused :D
Tim V

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:03 pm

I've made a couple of models of the type of stacking chairs that I remember sitting on, listening to our boring headmaster at Hull Grammar in the 1950s. They're made of brass wire and shim.

But - I cannot remember what colour their legs were. I know that the seats were pale plywood but the legs - were they a sort of hammered silverish/greyish metallic colour? Unfortunately there are no examples around here for me to check. Can anyone help?

Chairs.jpg

(Please forgive the blurred picture - it's a clip from a larger image.)

Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:39 pm

We had similar chair at my school in North Yorkshire; the tubes were a light grey.

cheerydoo
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:24 am

clecklewyke wrote:But - I cannot remember what colour their legs were.

If they were the type with cast aluminium legs then the colours varied. I can recall pale blue and pale green with a finish simliar to Hammarite paint. This type of chair, and desks to go with, them were a common style of school furniture in the late 1950s for the next 15 years or so. It was quite easy to break the cast legs and in my early teaching days we melted down the aluminium for casting.

Terry Bendall

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:50 am

clecklewyke wrote:I've made a couple of models of the type of stacking chairs that I remember sitting on, listening to our boring headmaster at Hull Grammar in the 1950s. They're made of brass wire and shim.

But - I cannot remember what colour their legs were. I know that the seats were pale plywood but the legs - were they a sort of hammered silverish/greyish metallic colour? Unfortunately there are no examples around here for me to check. Can anyone help?

Chairs.jpg

(Please forgive the blurred picture - it's a clip from a larger image.)

Ian

Are you sure this question shouldn't have been asked today....
Tim V

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:15 pm

Tim V wrote:

Can't think of a better!

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:16 pm

Tim V wrote:

Can't think of a better!

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:01 pm

A posting so nice you did it twice! :D
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 am

clecklewyke wrote:A sneak preview of Humber Dock, taken at dusk. I hope the model looks as good...

Hi Ian,

Do you still have a hi-res version of that which you could email to "marketing@scalefour.org"?

I'd like to find a use for that in the Society publicity material. Very atmospheric indeed...

Cheers
Paul Willis
Marketing Manager
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Wizard of the Moor

Postby Wizard of the Moor » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:22 pm

A reminder that 21:00 BST on Sunday 14th April 2013 is the cutoff for anyone wishing to register for a Scalefour North namebadge. At least for this year's show :)

If you would like to register then please send your details to badge4scale4north@scalefour.org and I'll add you to the list.

For anyone who misses the deadline then DIY badges can be made using materials to be found on the Society stand.
James Dickie

My workbench

Wizard of the Moor

Postby Wizard of the Moor » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:33 pm

It's now less than a week until Scalefour North 2013, so I hope that many of you are making plans to be there.

The final version of the showguide is now available for download. I'm pleased to say that Richard Spratt will now be demonstrating the use of Templot, especially the design of interlaced NER turnouts needed for the Skinningrove project.

Catering arrangements will be a little different this year. A local catering company will provide hot meals and refreshments. Hopefully drinks and snacks will be available all day, but hot meals will be available between 12:00 and 14:00 only on both days.

If you are planning to make some cash by selling your surplus modelling goodies on the Bring & Buy stall then please remember to print off the relevant form and clearly label your items according to its recommendations.

On behalf of all the Scalefour North team, I hope that you enjoy the show!
James Dickie

My workbench

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:13 pm

Looking forward to next weekend very much.
Stock cleaning's finished and I've decided what I'll be selling on the bring & buy.

Will L

Postby Will L » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:19 pm

On Sunday 21st April up to lunchtime, there will be an engineering possession on the Cheshire Lines Committees Chester line. The Up line will be closed in the Mobberley area and single line working will be in force. To access the down line, all Manchester bound Up trains will set back over the trailing crosser at Knutsford East Junction. The normal Sunday morning service will be operated although some delays are to be expected.

As it happens Knutsford East Junction will be in Wakefield for Scalefour North that week end, so if you would like to see a facet of railway operation you don’t often see at a show, you know where to be.

Will

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:40 pm

Busy cleaning loco wheels ready for Clutton's appearance this weekend.
Tim V

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:07 am

The flyers for Scaleforum have been produced, thanks to the efforts of deputy chairman Paul Willis and will be at Scalefour North. Anyone who wants some for area groups or for local exhibitions is welcome to collect some from the Society stand where Danny and myself will be around.

Terry Bendall

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:26 am

Never mind "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" this weekend "We're Off to See the Wizard"....i.e. Scalefour North Organizer James Dickie otherwise known as 'Wizard of the Moor' 8-)

Looking forward to seeing many of you in Wakefield

All the Best
Danny

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:15 am

Layout ready to fly - see as many of you as possible at the show.
Tim V

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:29 am

Tim V wrote:Layout ready to fly - see as many of you as possible at the show.

Blimey! I didn't notice the opening of London (Wakefield) Airport in the press...

I hope that you aren't referring to the state of the roads on the way up either!

Have fun!
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Wizard of the Moor

Postby Wizard of the Moor » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:15 am

dcockling wrote:Never mind "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" this weekend "We're Off to See the Wizard"....i.e. Scalefour North Organizer James Dickie otherwise known as 'Wizard of the Moor' 8-)

You've blown my cover now, Danny!

I'll be somewhere in he vicinity of Waterloo Street, preoccupied with shunting a new traffic flow down to the fertiliser factory :o

image.jpg

Hope to see you over the weekend.
James Dickie

My workbench

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:31 pm

Would you believe it?

I've just been cleaning the wheels of my Y7 0-4-0T dock shunter and have discovered that its electric motor has come adrift from the gear box, so instead of the high-pitched scream but smooth running of a small Portescap it has an angry growl and stutter.

Yet again, Sod's Law comes into play1 I've tried to re-unite motor and gearbox with a dose of epoxy resin so we'll see.

Has anyone else had this problem? The motor seems to have no screw fixing to the hear box. so either is a force-fit or is glued and the glue has failed.

Alternatively, has anyone a 4-wheeled shunter, suitable for Humber Dock's sharp curves which they could lend me for the weekend? I have a Sentinel Y1 as well but I'd like to have some cover!

Cheers,

Ian

Clive Impey

Postby Clive Impey » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:16 pm

Ian,
I have a High Level RSH 0-4-0ST that you can borrow. It is fitted with a 1220 motor and is DC. It is fitted with loops for S&W couplings but these can easily be removed, it has hooks for 3-link but no chains. I will be there at opening time tomorrow and also all day Sunday so you can have it both days.

CliveLincs

Return to “Exhibitions”