Scaleforum 2013

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
David Bigcheeseplant

Re: Scaleforum 2013

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Wed May 08, 2013 12:29 pm

For those coming to Scalefourum and also Railex, Stoke Mandeville Stadium is in Aylesbury not Stoke Mandeville itself which is a small village around 1-2 miles away. So if coming by train alight at Aylesbury.

Another alternative is to use the West Coast main line and get off at Tring station which is only a few miles away.

If anyone is coming down and staying the night I can provide a list of places to eat, drink in the evening plus taxi numbers etc, this is part of the pack I post out to Railex exibitors, as if you are in a strange town you normally have no idea where to go.

David

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed May 08, 2013 2:51 pm

Another alternative is to use the West Coast main line and get off at Tring station which is only a few miles away.

The link given by the Armchair modeller above seems to think the only way to Aylesbury by train is to get off at Hemel Hempstead or Amersham and bus from there. Certainly would not be my choice!
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Wed May 08, 2013 3:36 pm

davidb wrote:
DaveyTee wrote:Or at a bit over 7 hours, Perth to Aylesbury via London with East Coast, book ahead with a senior railcard (don't know if that applies to you, Jim!), £58.55 First Class which will include hot meals, tea, coffee, and soft drinks, and even alcoholic beverages (when I went down to Scalefour North from Dundee last month, my first class ticket to York cost me £27.95 and during the trip I managed to consume, "free" of charge, a full English breakfast, steak pie for lunch, various coffees, crisps, an apple, and two large glasses of red wine).

DT

Is it true that DT be at Scaleforum manning the Weight Watchers' stand?

If I do get to Scaleforum, it won't be until 2014 by which time East Coast, currently nationalised, will no doubt have been privatised and the "free" goodies severely curtailed - I don't know if any of the other operating companies offer their first class passengers complimentary alcohol (including spirits). :( But yes, i did feel somewhat stuffed when i got off the train at York - the trouble is that when "free" food and drink comes along, one has an urge to take it - need does not come into the equation.

DT

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed May 08, 2013 3:42 pm

DaveyTee wrote:Or at a bit over 7 hours, Perth to Aylesbury via London with East Coast, book ahead with a senior railcard (don't know if that applies to you, Jim!), £58.55 First Class which will include hot meals, tea, coffee, and soft drinks, and even alcoholic beverages (when I went down to Scalefour North from Dundee last month, my first class ticket to York cost me £27.95 and during the trip I managed to consume, "free" of charge, a full English breakfast, steak pie for lunch, various coffees, crisps, an apple, and two large glasses of red wine).

My wife said something yesterday about pensioners and free food....
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed May 08, 2013 3:47 pm

In fact I managed to spend last weekend at Wendover (only 5 miles from Aylesbury) exploring the countryside, and I was surprised to discover it's quite a pleasant part of the country. Managed to walk part of the Grand Union canal, and also spot all the "Down with HS2" posters - well it will pass within a few hundred yards of the village :!: Also found where Great Missenden is - is someone trying to get that part of the UK as some Mecca of finescale modelling?
Tim V

David B

Postby David B » Wed May 08, 2013 7:10 pm

Tim V wrote:In fact I managed to spend last weekend at Wendover (only 5 miles from Aylesbury) exploring the countryside, and I was surprised to discover it's quite a pleasant part of the country. Managed to walk part of the Grand Union canal, and also spot all the "Down with HS2" posters - well it will pass within a few hundred yards of the village :!: Also found where Great Missenden is - is someone trying to get that part of the UK as some Mecca of finescale modelling?

I am surprised you were surprised, Tim. The Chilterns have featured a lot in railway travel literature over the years.

I am not sure that 'mecca' is the right word, but there are some very pleasant and profitable times to be had there. See Missenden Railway Modellers. Booking for the Autumn weekend (11th - 13th October) should be open at the end of the month. Some work is being done on the website and more details will be posted before the bookings open. There are still a few places left on the Summer Retreat in August.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed May 08, 2013 7:30 pm

It may well have featured, but it hadn't occurred to me to go there as a holiday destination - which was my pleasant surprise!
Tim V

jasp

Postby jasp » Sat May 11, 2013 2:06 pm

Thanks gents for all your suggestion.
I had looked at all of the above which, unfortunately, reinforce my point.
I do, however, take issue with JFS's comment "moans of the vocal minority" I was not moaning, merely bemoaoning the fact that I am unlikely to attend given the difficulty of access.
Jim

JFS

Postby JFS » Sat May 11, 2013 4:50 pm

jasp wrote:Thanks gents for all your suggestion.

I do, however, take issue with JFS's comment "moans of the vocal minority" I was not moaning, merely bemoaoning the fact that I am unlikely to attend given the difficulty of access.
Jim

Jim,

I apologise if I offended. I was not referring to your remarks specifically - rather to the fact that the general balance of the comments in the thread were toward the negative when - from conversations I have had - there are very many people like me who are very positive but who have not posted comments. I should have made that clearer in the post and perhaps used better words.

Best wishes,

Howard.

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Sun May 12, 2013 11:02 am

I'm surprised there has been no reference yet to the 'facilities' at Aylesbury, which after a first encounter a few years ago were a major factor in dissuading me from revisiting Railex, even though I lived within (relatively) easy reach when based in the UK. Knee-height urinals and washbasins to match may be a Godsend for wheelchair users and the elevationally challenged (actually, not so sure about the urinals for wheelchairs), but if you're average height with a back problem like mine, they are quite literally a major pain. Typical of Britain's mad political correctness inconveniencing (sic) the majority to cater for the minority - you'll have to move S4Um to a civilised country to overcome that (my village salle de fetes is available at a very reasonable charge, and the local wine is far superior to Chateau Bucks ...)
David L-T

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Sun May 12, 2013 11:59 am

The majority of events at Stoke Mandeville Stadium are for disabled sports as the venue is the national place for wheelchair sports hence the lower facities. I would rather put up with my change of angle required for popping to the gents and being able bodied rather than being in a wheelchair.

I am sure there are higher versions located in the toilets down the corridor to the side of the hall

David

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sun May 12, 2013 6:01 pm

Failing that, I'm sure there are convenient bushes or hedges you could go behind..... :mrgreen:
That would be an ecumenical matter.

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Sun May 12, 2013 6:45 pm

Wrong end of the county for that sort of thing, Horsetan - might be all right for us yokels born north of the Vale, but once you get down beyond the new-fangled county town the local gentry take a dim view of such activities en plein air (and constabulary HQ's just up the road).
David L-T

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Mon May 13, 2013 10:31 am

dal-t wrote:..... constabulary HQ's just up the road...

It's hardly Operation Weeting, though. More Operation Weeing. ;)

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue May 14, 2013 6:51 am

jasp wrote:I am unlikely to attend given the difficulty of access.

We (the Scaleforum organising team and the Societry committee) are well aware that the move of Scaleforum to Aylesbury will mean that some regular visitors will have a longer and perhaps more difficult journey. We are also aware that there will be others for whom the journey will be shorter and easier. What no one knows is how many people will be in each of those groups.

RailEx attracts something in the region of 2800 - 3000 visitors. That is 2 1/2 times more than the number that attend Scaleforum so it can't be that difficult to get to and those that come by car seem to be able to find somewhere to park.
There will always be some people who will find difficulty in getting to any venue, depending on where they live, their access to transport and the cost of travel but unfortunately we cannot please everyone.

Scaleforum has been at Leatherhead for 20 years and it could be argued that it is time to move just to give other people an easier journey. However, the reasons for the change of venue are more important than that and are to do with the amount of space at Leatherhead, and the cost of hiring the venue.

We see Scaleforum as a continuously evolving exhibition and over the years it has grown and developed. We now have more traders who want to come, and some of these, and some existing traders ask for more space, because they have increased the range of what they offer. The income from trade stands is a major part of the show income. This year the trade stands will bring in a total of £7610 (including VAT). So we need more space for the trade.

Last year there was some criticism about the lack of large layouts - perfectly justified, but those who came will know that the space was a bit cramped and it would have been difficult to have fitted in a large layout. You, our members, ask for more demonstations, more layouts, things like a test track and you will now know that we have responded positively to these requests but that has only been possible with the move to a larger venue. We could have used the Mole Barn at Leatherhead but that would have increased the costs. In the last few years the costs of hiring the Leisure Centre at Leatherhead have been as follows: 2010 - £ 4732; 2011- £5401; 2012 - £ 6317. Using the Mole Barn would cost an additional £ 1020. The costs would only have increased again for 2013. The cost of hiring the Stoke Mandeville Stadium this year will be £3392. (no typo there - three thousand, three hundred and ninety two pounds)

As a result Scaleforum has been moved in order to provide a greater range of attractions using a venue that the show budget can afford to cover. We could have stayed at Leatherhead and carried on much as we always have, but with ever increasing venue hire costs that would have been unlikely to be covered with the income generated. The bottom line is that we will all have to accept that for the forseeable future Scaleforum will be held at the Stoke Mandeville Stadium and the only way that the venue is likely to change will be if we find a new one that is in a better location, with the same or better facilities, at a price we can afford.

We think that this year's Scaleforum will be the best so far since the new organising team took over. We hope that lots of members will come along to see if we are right.

Terry Bendall

Bulwell Hall

Postby Bulwell Hall » Tue May 14, 2013 7:28 am

Well said Terry.

I for one would like to express my grateful thanks for your efforts, and those of everyone else involved, for the time you devote to bringing us one of modelling highlights of the year. I am sure that the move to Stoke Mandeville will bring a major step forward in the attractions offered - not an improvement as it was already excellent - which will make Scalefourum even more the premier event for 4mm scale modellers. I model in EM and look forward to the time when Scalefourum becomes an all inclusive 4mm scale event!

Gerry

David B

Postby David B » Tue May 14, 2013 7:29 am

We should be thankful that we have a Committee that does listen to what the membership asks for and to Terry for his time and hard work translating all this in to the major event Scaleforum has become. The move is eminently sensible and it is unfortunate that it is not possible to please all the people, all of the time.

We must remember that the figures Terry gives us regarding the cost of the venue represent only part of the overall budget and the expenses incurred elsewhere are considerable, not least in getting the layouts to the show together with accommodation. Many claims for expenses are not submitted, either in full or at all and this generosity helps the show finances. I suggest that if it were not for such generosity, together with the time Terry and other volunteers put in, there would be consequences in a smaller show, less affordable to the visitor.

As for access, the figures for Railex clearly show that this venue does not suffer from being difficult to get to. If the will is there, then people can get to the show. With forward planning, travel (and accommodation if it is necessary) can be found at lower prices. Car sharing is invariably cheaper than public transport and delivers you right to the door.

All this effort on behalf of the membership by the Committee and volunteers merits our support. I hope the proportion of the membership that does make it to the show will be greater than ever.

JFS

Postby JFS » Tue May 14, 2013 7:46 am

Heartily seconded by me!!

Howard

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Tue May 14, 2013 10:45 am

Agreed. Scaleforum has always been an excellent show - and that is due to the people involved over many years. No reason to think that the venue will change the core value. I changed to P4 because of this show, and have met many great modelers as a result.

Humans are inherently wary of change, and we have a bit of a fear of the unfamiliar.

This will work out, and yes, there will be comparisons to Leatherhead, that's human nature. It will still be the same Society, and we will have to trust the judgement of the excellent people who have done such a wonderful job in the past.

I will try and get there to throw on my support. Good luck all!

Neil B
Winnipeg

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Tue May 14, 2013 11:22 am

As one of the previously silent majority, who are almost certainly in favour - or at worst neutral on the change of venue, I will happily add my support too.

I have been to Railex and think it is an excellent place for a model railway exhibition. Parking and travel may not be ideal, but I have had no real problems getting there, or parking in the past. I even had the thrill of deliberately going out of my way to travel in a heritage railcar for part of the trip a couple of years ago.

Given the choice of an excellent venue that is marginally difficult to get to, versus a poorer venue with a fantastic car park, direct rail services from all parts of the country and an airport on the doorstep, I would choose the excellent venue every time.

I also belong to the 2mm Scale Association, who move the venue of their annual Expo around the country every year. The venues can, at times, be in relatively inaccessible places. If you want to go to this year's Expo by train, it can only be reached on a preserved railway, with a long walk across fields to reach the venue, if I understand things correctly. I have not seen or heard anyone complain.

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Tue May 14, 2013 12:33 pm

Aylesbury is easy is coming from the north by road head down the M40 and come off at Bicester then the A41 takes you right through the town. Also the A41 from the M25 is a duel carrageway for most of the way for those coming from the south.

The stadium itself is really bright and has the facility of having it's own on-site 50 room Oylimpic Lodge for accomodation, which is very useful as it saves looking around and for other places to put those who are staying overnight. Over the nine years we have staged Railex at the stadium we have built up a very good relationship with the centre management and I think they see the value we bring to stadium.

David

Natalie Graham

Postby Natalie Graham » Tue May 14, 2013 3:18 pm

It sounds as if it is an excellent venue and that the event itself will be better than ever (the height of the urinals isn't an issue for me personally either. ;) ) However it is still very much in the bottom bit of the country. For anyone doing Lands' End to John O'Groats the half way point is somewhere around Carnforth. Even Scaleforum 'North' is 400 miles each way for me. (I need ScaleFar North :) ) Having looked at the cost and travel times to Aylesbury it just isn't realistic to go, much as I would love to see the layouts. Good P4 layouts don't often appear up here. I appreciate the argument that the present location appeals to a majority of members and that there are not so many members further North, but is there perhaps a counter argument that having the society's premier showcase event in the south of the country discourages or, at least, fails to attract, those further away?

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Tue May 14, 2013 5:04 pm

Maybe we should have the show in Ireland. Then almost everyone would have to travel. ;)

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Tue May 14, 2013 5:20 pm

The south east has the highest population in the UK, so therefore the location will be more cental to more members.

Anyway at least I am able to take a 15 minute walk to Scaleforum this year.

David

Natalie Graham

Postby Natalie Graham » Tue May 14, 2013 7:59 pm

David Bigcheeseplant wrote:The south east has the highest population in the UK, so therefore the location will be more cental to more members.

Anyway at least I am able to take a 15 minute walk to Scaleforum this year.

David

More local maybe but not more central. I suppose the question is whether it is better to have a location which is in the area with the biggest membership, or one which is within reasonable traveling distance for the maximum number of people. I don't expect the society to hold Scaleforum in, say, Aberdeen just for my benefit but if those of us for whom it is not a practical distance to travel don't say anything then the society won't know if there are sufficient numbers of us to mean that it is something to be looked at.

Return to “Exhibitions”