Scaleforum 2013

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Tim V

Re: Scaleforum 2013

Postby Tim V » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:16 pm

It used to be a one day show, but it was a lot smaller then.

As things stand at present, one day is not enough time to look around Scaleforum, so there are two choices.

1. Spend the night and attend the second day.
2. Persuade the organising team to make the show smaller.

I know which I prefer :!:
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:22 pm

I am just guessing that the cost of the second day isn't that much of the overall cost. I would certainly be surprised if it was as simplistic as half the cost.

Would I take a layout to a one day show?

No

Would I visit a one day scaleforum at Leatherhead from the midlands?

No chance

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:22 am

Our Chairman has already mentioned that a sub group of the committee was set up to consider the future of Scaleforum. We did consider the option of a one day event but rejected it. The committee agreed with this decision.

We rejected a one day show for the reasons that have already been mentioned, and also because:

(a) traders are less likely to support a one day show, since selling time is reduced, and those that come a long way, and many do, would be unlikely to come;
(b) a one day show reduced the opportunities for people to visit the show.

We already find that there are a significant number of members who are unable to attend the existing two-day event, because of other committments. Having the show open for one day would reduce this further.

I have taken large layouts to a one day show on several occasions and it means setting up on the previous evening, so for those that have a long distance to travel, overnight accommodation is still required for at least one night. There could be some saving, but not a great deal, and certainly not half of the costs. Even if it did there would be no gaurantee that more people would come on one day and if they did the place would be too crowded to move.

There is NO conflict with RailEx. RailEx is a very good show with a large preportion of "fine scale" layouts of all scales and gauges and a significant number of traders who support that aspect of the hobby. The target audience for RailEx is quite different from that of Scaleforum, but many people attend both. All that is happening is that the Society is using the same venue, four months away, as another well established and succesful exhibition.

Scaleforum is a national show and should and will continue to invite layouts, demonstrators and traders from the whole country and from overseas when we can. It will not be restricted to local layouts and traders just to save money. Scaleforum WILL continue as a two day event for the forseeable future - i.e at least 10 years.

Terry Bendall

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:50 am

When I took over the management of Railex and moved to Stoke Mandeville Stadium it was my decision to make a show that I would like to go to as if I was a visitor, with emphasis on the finescale. In fact the show was mix based on the MRJ show, Scalefourum, Expo EM the O gauge and 2mm Society shows. I think in the majority of years there have been more P4 layouts at Railex than any other scale or gauge, this, I have not cross checked the figures but I would think in most cases we have had more P4 layouts than Scalefour Southwest. This year we have six P4 layouts and I have always thought Railex as with some others as a bit like an unofficial Scalefour show anyway, so maybe Railex is not Scaleforum more like Scalefour Southwest where there are other scales and gauges.

I am not too sure the target audidence at Railex is different to Scaleforurum I would have thought they were very simular, both aiming at finescale railway modellers rather than families.

It looks like that from Railex this year and certainly from next year and Scalefourum 2013 that a new entry road will be in use avoiding the long drive around the housing estate, entry to the stadium will be from the B4443 down a short road called stadium approach, also although there will be no charge for parking at the stadium they are introducing number plate recognition cameras that will limit a stay at the stadium to three hours, something we are going to try to ensure gets turned off at Railex weekend. So If coming by car consider parking in Friars croft car park at the rear of Morrison and by the railway station and getting our free bus in. Alternatively with the new access road open to the stadium a bus shop is no more than five minutes walk, if using the number 300 Aylesbury High Wycombe service bus that runs every twenty minutes.

David

Philbax

Postby Philbax » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:59 am

reference to a oneday or two day show.
Having supported for the first time an exhibition layout the effort and costs involved from the exhibitors aspect means that a one day show has to be very local.
When hiring a van to take the layout this is a weekend hire and not worth the effort for a one day show.
In addition putting up one day (Friday night)and taking down the next(Saturday night), hardly worth the effort in my opinion

philbax

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:59 am

Regarding the potential conflict with Railex, I note that Scalefour North has been held in Wakefield for many years. Is there any evidence that this conflicts with the other Wakefield show? Admittedly the venue is different, but only by a few hundred metres.

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:28 am

Armchair Modeller wrote:Regarding the potential conflict with Railex, I note that Scalefour North has been held in Wakefield for many years. Is there any evidence that this conflicts with the other Wakefield show? Admittedly the venue is different, but only by a few hundred metres.

Elgin hosts two exhibitions each year; one in March, [The Great North of Scotland Model Railway Exhibition at the TA centre is organised by the Moray Model Railway Group] the other in November [MODELFAIR -ELGIN TOWN HALL is organised by Elgin model railway club ]. Both are two day events and well attended.
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:31 pm

Metropolitan wrote: i have put forward the notion that Scaleforum should be a one day show. It's a complex calculation and gamble but I believe it might solve the issue. Do we really need a two day show?

Happy to travel a fair old distance with a layout for a one day show? At a time in life when the inexorable passing of the decades is beginning to show around the edges?! ;)

Absolutely no chance, John! It's just not worth the effort. A shorter distance to travel and a small layout, perhaps, but it generally needs to be two days to make the whole experience worthwhile and enjoyable for me these days...
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:32 pm

I haven't been keeping up with this thread (too busy recently), but here are my thoughts.

1. I always attend both days of Scaleforum - one day is not enough.

2. Speaking as a sometime exhibition layout owner/operator (I took my own layout to Scaleforum on two separate occasions), taking a layout to a one-day show is not worth the bother unless it is very close to home. Many excellent layouts which are brought to Scaleforum would not attend if it was a one-day show.

3. Scaleforum can hardly be said to clash with another show in the same venue which is held a full 4 months earlier. I shall continue to attend Railex - it is a show not to be missed, and the idea that attendances will suffer at either show is just daft.

So - 'Yes' to Scaleforum at Aylesbury and 'Yes' to a 2-day show. A one-day Scaleforum simply wouldn't work in my view.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon May 06, 2013 6:39 am

Those who have received their copy of Scalefour News 182 - and what a good edition it is, will now have the opportunity to see how members can get free admission to Scaleforum 2013. Go on - have a look. :D

Terry Bendall

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon May 06, 2013 9:24 am

I see Aylesbury has other attractions, and has been in the news...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-be ... s-22165326
Tim V

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Mon May 06, 2013 10:48 am

I have made it over to Scaleforum on a couple of occasions. Granted I generally also include a visit to family and a trip to Dorset, but the trip is planned around the show. Being there for the full duration makes it more worthwhile. I get a chance to talk to a lot of people and can take my time at all the stands. Just one day would be a sad affair methinks.

I rather liked Leatherhead, but the new venue may work as it is a bit closer to family in Herts. The desireability of which is yet to be determined!

Hope to make this year again.

Neil B
Canada.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Mon May 06, 2013 10:46 pm

David Bigcheeseplant wrote:....although there will be no charge for parking at the stadium they are introducing number plate recognition cameras that will limit a stay at the stadium to three hours....

This is where foreign numberplates can be advantageous :mrgreen:
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue May 07, 2013 6:11 am

nberrington wrote:I rather liked Leatherhead, but the new venue may work

The new venue will certainly work. It has worked for RailEx for a number of years and there is no reason why it will not work equally well for us. For overseas vistors it is no more difficult to get to from airports around London than Leatherhead is.

Horsetan wrote:
David Bigcheeseplant wrote:....although there will be no charge for parking at the stadium they are introducing number plate recognition cameras that will limit a stay at the stadium to three hours....

This is where foreign numberplates can be advantageous :mrgreen:

I have checked this and have been advised by the Stadium management that at Scaleforum the number plate recognition cameras wil be switched off. We will be running a bus service from the railway station to the venue so as David Lane has already advised for his show, park in the large car park near to the station and take the exhibition bus from there.

Terry Bendall

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue May 07, 2013 4:06 pm

Didn't get these unforeseen problems at Leatherhead...
Tim V

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Tue May 07, 2013 4:23 pm

We stayed at the Running Horse Inn last time we were over - it was really in a lovely quite rural area with fantastic footpaths, old Roman road, etc.
It will be sad not to go back.

Ah well - we're there for the show, right?

Neil

Bulwell Hall

Postby Bulwell Hall » Tue May 07, 2013 4:49 pm

Tim V wrote:Didn't get these unforeseen problems at Leatherhead...

I for one will be mightily pleased not to have to do battle with the M25. Last years return journey was a nightmare and it was not the first time it has happened. By comparison the drive to Aylesbury will be very civilised.

Gerry

David B

Postby David B » Tue May 07, 2013 5:22 pm

Tim V wrote:Didn't get these unforeseen problems at Leatherhead...

Hardly unforeseen, Tim. Terry is on the ball and answered. No probs!!

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed May 08, 2013 6:36 am

davidb wrote:Hardly unforeseen,

Indeed not. When I said that I have checked this, it was done about a month ago when I was in contact with the stadium mangement, something which has been, and will continue to be a regular thing until the show itself.

nberrington wrote:We stayed at the Running Horse Inn last time we were over - it was really in a lovely quite rural area with fantastic footpaths, old Roman road, etc.
It will be sad not to go back.

There are lots of good places to stay around Aylesbury and some equally pleasant countryside. A list will be put on the Society's web site quite soon.

Terry Bendall

jasp

Postby jasp » Wed May 08, 2013 8:16 am

"For overseas vistors it is no more difficult to get to from airports around London than Leatherhead is."
I must disagree with you on this, Terry.
As an "overseas" visitor I have looked at getting to Stoke Mandeville from different airports and the best requires a bus trip of at least an hour and a half each way plus a walk. Leatherhead was not particularly easy but the train from Gatwick was ok.
Sadly, for the above reason, I am not likely to attend
Jim P

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Wed May 08, 2013 9:18 am

Hi Jim,

How about Dundee Airport to London City? The Docklands LR will then take you on to Bank, Central Line to Oxford Circus and Bakerloo to Marylebone, then train to Aylesbury.

All the Best
Danny

JFS

Postby JFS » Wed May 08, 2013 10:30 am

... or Edinburgh - Birmingham then Birmingham International - Aylesbury by train? The train journey involves a couple of changes but both are short-but-doable connections. Whole thing takes less than five hours - less than driving back to Central England from Leatherhead on some Sundays!!!

I do hope that organisers are not put off by the moans of the vocal minority - myself and my mates are heartily glad to see the back of Scalefour SOUTH :D

Best wishes,

Howard.

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Wed May 08, 2013 10:36 am

Or at a bit over 7 hours, Perth to Aylesbury via London with East Coast, book ahead with a senior railcard (don't know if that applies to you, Jim!), £58.55 First Class which will include hot meals, tea, coffee, and soft drinks, and even alcoholic beverages (when I went down to Scalefour North from Dundee last month, my first class ticket to York cost me £27.95 and during the trip I managed to consume, "free" of charge, a full English breakfast, steak pie for lunch, various coffees, crisps, an apple, and two large glasses of red wine).

DT

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Wed May 08, 2013 11:20 am

David B

Postby David B » Wed May 08, 2013 11:27 am

DaveyTee wrote:Or at a bit over 7 hours, Perth to Aylesbury via London with East Coast, book ahead with a senior railcard (don't know if that applies to you, Jim!), £58.55 First Class which will include hot meals, tea, coffee, and soft drinks, and even alcoholic beverages (when I went down to Scalefour North from Dundee last month, my first class ticket to York cost me £27.95 and during the trip I managed to consume, "free" of charge, a full English breakfast, steak pie for lunch, various coffees, crisps, an apple, and two large glasses of red wine).

DT

Is it true that DT be at Scaleforum manning the Weight Watchers' stand?

Return to “Exhibitions”