Scaleforum 2013

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
ginger61

Re: Scaleforum 2013

Postby ginger61 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:53 pm

Hi all,
Well I never, and I thought I'd left this all behind when I left school :shock: I would've attended if I had enough capital to spend, but as I live on a budget I have to watch what I spend and where. Whilst there are many pros and cons to all the of the posts that have been made thus so far, people seem to forget that this part is open to the general public and to read about "adults" bickering is surely enough to put people off either attending or joining the society.
Anyway the videos that are on you tube are extremely good so it looks like I missed a good show :( plus this beats strictly!!!!!
Best wishes,
Nick.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:58 pm

I agree with Martin, this is all getting a bit bizarre. It is also getting a wee bit personal in places and I am surprised the moderators have not stepped in. As Nick has said, the public can view some of these pages, and this kind of thing does our image no good at all.

Terry asked for constructive comments, well, there's been plenty already and the more the merrier. The angst we don't need.

Philip

essdee

Postby essdee » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:00 pm

P1050353 - Copy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jayell

Postby jayell » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:09 am

ginger61 wrote:I would've attended if I had enough capital to spend, but as I live on a budget I have to watch what I spend and where.

I agree with that comment, the cost of attending could be a significant factor in deciding whether or not to attend an exhibition, I suspect quite a few members may be on a limited income, either as retirees or not working for one reason or another. Family commitments could also be a factor. Not all wives are fully supportive of their spouses 'playing trains' and I was quite surprised to find that my wife actually liked looking at the layouts, not so much the trains but the buildings and scenery she found fascinating.

As a beginner I would like to see more in the way of 'how to do it' demonstrations. For example I was reading, only yesterday, the instructions for BB wagon underframes and thought how much easier it would be if I'd actually seen one being put together by an expert, so perhaps an incentive to buying some kits could be to have one put together for the purchaser ;)

Perhaps there could be more room around each demo area so people could sit on three sides of the demonstrator rather than than just in front. I appreciate chairs were not plentiful this first time at Aylesbury but from comments made by others l ack of seating inside the main hall was noticeable so maybe something could be done about this next year.

I really cannot make any really useful suggestions as to what would encourage more members to turn up as I have no prior experience of railway exhibitions to fall back on. The most important aspect of going to Aylesbury was meeting people who until then were just names and I'd like to add my support to the suggestion that people should be encouraged to wear name badges.

Finally I'd like to add to the dissent concerning bickering in public, if you have a disagreement with someone, a forum or even emails are not the best way to resolve things. Try too talk it over on the telephone as that way misunderstandings can more easily get sorted out.

John

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:55 am

johnlewis wrote:The most important aspect of going to Aylesbury was meeting people who until then were just names and I'd like to add my support to the suggestion that people should be encouraged to wear name badges.

And in this internet age, it is often the forum user name which will be more recognisable than a real name. This could be great fun, with people walking around labelled "Melton Constable" or "BeansOnToast" or "sherlock_holmes" or whatever. :)
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:25 am

Martin Wynne wrote:
johnlewis wrote:The most important aspect of going to Aylesbury was meeting people who until then were just names and I'd like to add my support to the suggestion that people should be encouraged to wear name badges.

And in this internet age, it is often the forum user name which will be more recognisable than a real name. This could be great fun, with people walking around labelled "Melton Constable" or "BeansOnToast" or "sherlock_holmes" or whatever. :)

The first person I saw who was wearing a name label at a model railway exhibition was Cyril Freezer and my response was "pompous ass, who does he think he is?"

However my views have now completely changed, partly as a result of all the business meetings I have attended where it was simply the norm to wear a name tag. It is so much simpler of you know who you are talking to, especially if you have a particular reason for wanting to talk to someone you know via the internet but have not met in person.

My only worry about this is whether someone might feel intimidated by becoming aware that the person next to you, say, at dinner, was one of the "great and good" and thus part of a clique you were afraid to enter. However, my experience is that although I might feel that way (it's pretty lonely in Askrigg) in fact the truly great modellers and communicators have nearly always proved to be very friendly, accessible and helpful.

Ian

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:46 am

clecklewyke wrote:The first person I saw who was wearing a name label at a model railway exhibition was Cyril Freezer and my response was "pompous ass, who does he think he is?"

Hi Ian,

That rings a bell. I recall having a trade stand selling my 85A track bits at a Scaleforum at the Commonwealth Institute in the 1970s. Someone unknown to me reached across the table and said "I'm Cyril Freezer you know". I replied "Never mind". I can't believe I was so rude. Happy times. :)

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:16 am

OK, OT but I can't resist those cues to retell the story of the comedian invited to entertain at an Old Peoples Home, who thought he'd do some 'Market Research' by arriving early and chatting to his audience. After a long discussion with one individual he thought he ought to reveal himself (metaphorically speaking) and asked "Do you know who I am?" "No, dear," came the uncrushable reply, "But I'm sure Matron can tell you."

Personally, I always found it amusing at business meetings to see who wrote their name on both sides of those fold-over cards you got given. And in provocative moments I had been known to ask colleagues wearing the Disruptive Pattern Material with sewn-in nametag whether they were also issued with mirrors, for occasions when they needed reminding ...
David L-T

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:34 am

dal-t wrote:Personally, I always found it amusing at business meetings to see who wrote their name on both sides of those fold-over cards you got given. And in provocative moments I had been known to ask colleagues wearing the Disruptive Pattern Material with sewn-in nametag whether they were also issued with mirrors, for occasions when they needed reminding ...

Allied (not a pun on the second part of that anecdote) to the theme, I've been known to greet people on the Tube with an outstretched hand and "Hello Julie/William/Helmut/whatever. How are you?".

The startled look is sometimes mitigated with a follow-up line of "How is the conference?"...

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

shipbadger

Postby shipbadger » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:55 pm

With regard to name badges, those who bought their tickets in advance had the option of ordering a name badge for collection at the show. I was hailed from the membership stand by the indefatigable Danny to collect mine which I then wore all day. I've now put it away carefully (usually leads to it being 'lost' however) to use in future.

Tony Comber

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:24 pm

shipbadger wrote:With regard to name badges, those who bought their tickets in advance had the option of ordering a name badge for collection at the show

Indeed yes. I duly collected mine at Scalefour North. The trouble is that it was only those who ordered the badges in advance who had them, which meant that many people didn't. I'd ideally like everyone to be given a suitable S4 Soc badge (they're have to fill in their name) and asked to wear it. No compulsion, but I'd hope that most would go along with it.

DT

allanferguson

Postby allanferguson » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:34 pm

At the last Scalefour North I ordered a name badge (because I think it is A Good Thing). But I didn't see anyone else wearing one all day (apart from "officials"). So I go along with Davey Tee's comment.

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:35 pm

DaveyTee wrote: I'd ideally like everyone to be given a suitable S4 Soc badge (they're have to fill in their name) and asked to wear it.

Gauge O Guild members will know that if you purchase Guild clothing (and the updated line is quite natty) you can have your name embroidered on it (except that mine won't fit, even without the epithets some would apparently like to apply ...). An idea for S4 Stores, maybe?
David L-T

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:02 pm

I wore my badge on my visit to S4rum. It had my name plus "aka Ealing" on it.

Surprisingly, no one hit me. Although Jol came close a couple of times.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:19 pm

Ealing wrote:I wore my badge on my visit to S4rum. It had my name plus "aka Ealing" on it.

Surprisingly, no one hit me. Although Jol came close a couple of times.

Jol has impeccable taste (and is a true gentleman). If he didn't feel the need, I'm sure no-one else would.
David L-T

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:48 pm

Badges :?: Badges :?: We don't need no steenkeeng badges :!:
That would be an ecumenical matter.

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:02 pm

Horsetan wrote:Badges :?: Badges :?: We don't need no steenkeeng badges :!:

Agreed.

And completely off-thread, I love this bit of dialogue in the same scene:

".......and cattle rustling."

"Cattle rustling? Any fool can do that."

"In the Vatican?"

"Mmmmm. Kinky."

[No prizes for guessing the film and the name of the writer/director.]

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:08 pm

No-one would be compelled to wear a badge. However, I would hope that everyone would be given one and encouraged to wear it. I really cannot see why, at a Society event, anyone would object to doing so.

DT

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:50 pm

Must be a Canadian thing...
IMG-20131009-00044.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

Brian Harrap

Postby Brian Harrap » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:03 pm

I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:11 pm

At least that has something of the zei(s)tgeist about it ... O.K, I'll get my coat -
David L-T

Tonycardall

Postby Tonycardall » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:36 am

well ...what a way to spend a morning. I happened on this thread and had to scroll back to read how it got so heated. I almost feel as if I have to justify why I wasn't at Scaleforum this year. Terry, many thanks for posting the dates for next year. A diary entry has been made. Even though the Sunday will clash again with an NFL game I intend to be there n the Saturday. That always assumes that my daughter won't decide to move again on the Saturday of the event. There I was, date in diary, highly edited 'To Buy' list in my pocket (wallet constraints you understand), when my daughter's house move gets put back a week and, lo, I am committed elsewhere.
Thanks to all for the entertaining thread and thanks to the committee for their well appreciated efforts. :D

Trevor Grout

Postby Trevor Grout » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:31 pm

Brian Harrap wrote:I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours

A NEW! wastecoat for next year then......

regards
trevor

Philbax

Postby Philbax » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:05 pm

The other facility that I felt was not made as much of as maybe it could be was the test track, I suggest a blackboard that could be used to show what is currently running and also to allow people to book slots.
Regards
Keith

Thanks for your comments keith. I did wonder about having a booking system, say 20 mins slots, but not having done this before electected to suck it and see.
As it transpired there were only two occasions during the weekend when we had 2 people wanting to run P4 on DC (Only 1 track is DC) at the same time.

Perhaps if it returns and more people get used to it being there then we may become more busy.

I take the point on 'what was running at the time' on a blackboard or equivalent for the future.

Good show Terry and we really enjoyed ourselves

Philbax :mrgreen:

Brian Harrap

Postby Brian Harrap » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:20 am

dal-t wrote:At least that has something of the zei(s)tgeist about it ... O.K, I'll get my coat -

Pleased you've been paying attention all these years, Brian.

Return to “Exhibitions”