Scaleforum 2013

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: Scaleforum 2013

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:39 pm

Could be worse.
We will see in the next issue, perhaps.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:08 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:
Could be worse.
We will see in the next issue, perhaps.

It'll be alright on the night. Sure, what (else) could possibly go wrong :?: ;)
That would be an ecumenical matter.

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:12 pm

As per the guide we will be bringing the two scenic boards from our model of Aylesbury station, the platforms have been rebuilt and the braithwaite water tank by the loco shed completed I hope to build some card mock ups of the two waiting rooms plus booking office in time for Scaleforum.

David

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:47 am

Regretably a late change to the Scaleforum line-up.

Unfortunately, due to family reasons, Tony Wilkins is no longer able to attend to run the Templot help desk so it looks like this will have to be cancelled.

If there was anyone on here who felt able to take Tony's place please send me a PM. It will however have to be someone who does not require accommodation since we are now on the maximum for that. We would of course cover reasonable fuel or other transport costs.

In the event that the Templot help desk does not run. Deputy Chaiman Paul Willis will be on the Society stand and will be happy to give some help.

Terry Bendall

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:20 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:Regretably a late change to the Scaleforum line-up.

In the event that the Templot help desk does not run. Deputy Chaiman Paul Willis will be on the Society stand and will be happy to give some help.

I will have my laptop with me, and a rough and ready ability to use Templot on it...

Whilst there are many, many people that are more expert than I am with the program, I will bring a willingness to understand your point of view if you are struggling with the basics of it. That is because I was until very recently there myself.

However the penny dropped, and I now am comfortable producing basic designs. Templot remains a superb tool for building realistic track designs, and I am now in the position where I think that (with a little experimentation) I can obtain 80% of the results from it with an understanding of only 20% of its sophistication. Which for a pragmatic modeller is all that I need.

I'm afraid that questions about shoving timbers in three-way points or building gauntletted track will have to wait for a proper gown up though...

Looking forward to seeing many of you in a few days' time.
Paul Willis
Deputy Chairman
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:52 pm

Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:07 am

grovenor-2685 wrote:Anyone who missed out on the RTR 08 shunters at last years show.
Here's an opportunity. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-4mm-Scale-P4-18-83mm-Class-08-Diesel-Shunter-/290981031064?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item43bfd22c98
Keith

That's not actually one of the RTR models that the Society sold last year. We (actually Mike Ainsworth and Mark Tatlow, to whom the Committee is very grateful) did twenty Class 25 locomotives with the Ultrascale wheelsets.

As far as I know, no one has commented on the running of one yet, good or bad, or despaired and listed it on Ebay!

Cheers
Paul Willis
Deputy Chairman

PS - don't forget that it's steam outline this year. Ten Jinties and ten Panniers. First come, first served...
www.5522models.co.uk

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:58 am

From tomorrow it is just five days to Scaleforum and in the Scaleforum command centre things are hotting up. The tickets - all 2500 of them are now cut up (phew) and today's job is to cut up the exhibitors' meal tickers and badges and put the badges in their holders. Some jobs for the coming week including making up a few more extension leads and collecting the PA system, in between weathering the coal handling plant for Elcot Road and getting it installed on the layout.

Scaleforum 2013 is the largest Scaleforum ever held. There are 224 people entitled to wear an exhibitor's badge, 91 of whom will be on the trade stands. The final count is 51 traders which is the most ever and we have 11 layouts in total which is the most since 2009. With the test track included we have 56 people involved in operating the layouts and there will be 12 demonstrations, again the most since 2009. Just to remind you, look back to page 38 of News 182 to see how many of the things that you, our members, asked to be included, and which are there. There are 1000 members tickets printed and I am looking forward to coming home on Saturday evening and having to print and cut some more. :D

Scaleforum 2013 promised to be the best Scaleforum ever. Come along and see if we are right. :D :D

Terry Bendall

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:09 am

Not thought of using the pre cut sheets of card tickets, the thought of you lot with your scissors.....
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Lord Colnago

Postby Lord Colnago » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:55 pm

As you will have seen from Terry's posting, 11 layouts and 51 traders at Scaleforum so there should be something for everyone. Terry has put in a lot of hard work to put the show together and now its up to you, the membership, to ensure that that work pays off. Big layouts were requested and that request has been listened to and acted upon. For those requiring it, a special coach service has been provided from the station to and from the stadium, so if you are using public transport to get there, please use this and don't forget to make some form of monetary contribution towards the cost of hire. Remember, use it or lose it!

Whilst Scaleforum doesn't attract the attendance levels associated with Railex, the other exhibition held at Stoke Mandeville, it would be nice if Terry had to go away on Saturday evening and cut up some more tickets! There has been some talk both here and on various other forums, that Stoke Mandeville stadium is difficult to get to. Well, we've done our best to facilitate things for those members who rely on public transport and the rest of us will have sorted out our transport arrangements by now. Personally, I believe our members are more than capable of finding their way there and I look forward to seeing as many of you as possible over the course of the week-end. I am sure that you will have an enjoyable and worthwhile time and go away inspired and maybe with a lighter wallet!

See you there.

John Chambers
The second best priest

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:03 pm

Love the Father Ted avatar, John :thumb

David B

Postby David B » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:11 pm

For those interested in figures - 4mm models of - especially of the Edwardian persuasion, I now have samples of Andrew Stadden's figures which will be at S4um on the Missenden and Society stands.

See my post here.

David

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:27 am

One of the exhibitors at Scaleforum will be Tim Horn who has been entertaining us with his laser cut buildings. Tim will be found on the DEMU stand, but only on Saturday, so if you want to explore what Tim has done, you will need to come then.

Terry Bendall

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:13 am

A reminder about the rail engineering works due to take place on the Marlebone to Aylesbury route via Amersham on Sunday which were mentioned on here a couple of weeks back. I gather that the rail replacement bus service is timed to arrive at Aylesbury about 10 minutes after the departure of the exhibition bus service. Most unhelpful. :cry:

If you are planning to travel from London by train on Sunday it will probably be much easier to travel via High Wycombe which on Sunday has a through service to Aylesbury. We had considered changing the departure time of the exhibition bus service but this will then cause a delay to those coming via High Wycombe. You cannot win. :cry:

Terry Bendall

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:04 am

Just picked up from RMWeb, thanks to Pete55:

"A very frazzled Colin Seymour of Alan Gibson tells me he will have a couple of J15 and E4 loco kits for sale at Scaleforum, along with half a dozen each of GWR 850ST, 850PT, 1076ST and 1076PT, as well as the County Tank and the LSWR 02 kits........

Apparently computer malfunctions at Seymour Towers prevented him sending out a late customer newsletter with this information, so that very nice Mr York said I could post this here to hopefully lighten a few wallets this weekend"

Cheers
Paul Willis
Scalefour Society Marketing Manager
www.5522models.co.uk

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:42 am

A reminder about the rail engineering works due to take place on the Marlebone to Aylesbury route via Amersham on Sunday which were mentioned on here a couple of weeks back. I gather that the rail replacement bus service is timed to arrive at Aylesbury about 10 minutes after the departure of the exhibition bus service. Most unhelpful. :cry:

The detailed timetable is available for download on Chiltern Trains website.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:59 am

I'm almost excited about Scaleforum this weekend. That's quite a compliment for me as I don't get excited that often. I was brought up in Worcester where excitement wasn't allowed.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:55 am

Ealing wrote:I'm almost excited about Scaleforum this weekend.

Almost excited!! Almost!!! You should be very excited :D :D I am!

In just six hours time we will be starting to get things set up in the exhibition hall. The van with all the exhibition equipment is loaded and by the time that we put Elcot Road in it will be very full - and it is quite a big van. ;)

The challenge to the membership is to have the largest ever number of members attending as visitors. That means we need at least 595 members to come which is less than one third of the total membership so it should be possible. We potentially have the best Scaleforum ever this year so come along and see if we are right.

Terry Bendall

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:41 am

Do you know how many members are not counted due to to getting in an an exibitor or trader.

Also do you know how wide the tables are for the traders are they 2 foot or 2 foot six?

David

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:52 am

David Bigcheeseplant wrote:Do you know how many members are not counted due to to getting in an an exibitor or trader.

David

You can add eight for London Road and LRM.

Jol

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:21 am

Ealing wrote:I'm almost excited .....

Imagine if the Pointer Sisters' 1980s hit had contained the lyrics "Almost excited" instead

....brought up in Worcester where excitement wasn't allowed.

What, not even about the local sauce?
Last edited by Horsetan on Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:37 am

"Imagine if the Pointer Sisters' 1908s hit had contained the lyrics "Almost excited" instead" - the version released in Worcestershire was re-dubbed to exactly that. 1908? Was it really that long ago?

Other lyrics that were changed included Louis Armstrong's "It's a fairly wonderful world"; Cyndi Lauper's "Girls just wanna have a bit less boredom"; and Wham's "Don't wake me up before you go-go".

Terry, I hope you understand my post was meant to be a joke???? I really am looking forward to the show. Perhaps I should start using the smilie faces etc. Pity there's not one to indicate I'm a sarcastic old git. :D
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:52 am

Ealing wrote:I'm almost excited about Scaleforum this weekend. That's quite a compliment for me as I don't get excited that often. I was brought up in Worcester where excitement wasn't allowed.

Worcester! Excitement! That's where we from the Black Country were taken as kids for an exciting Sunday afternoon out!

Many's the Sunday that I spent trudging around as a ten year old, wondering when the drizzle was going to stop, and why was it so interesting that the race course had flooded *again*, and why weren't there any chip shops that were open (my parents didn't, and don't do pubs. I'm trying to correct the global disequilibrium in that respect...), and other such delights.

Plus if we were really lucky, there would be traffic jams on the M5 on the way back, as yet another Marina/Cortina/Viva expired in a cloud of steam whilst dragging a shed up that hill by Redditch.

Oh happy days! It was almost as much fun as living in Scarfolk http://scarfolk.blogspot.co.uk/

Happy weekend :-)
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:56 am

Ealing wrote:....Pity there's not one to indicate I'm a sarcastic old git. :D

I think everyone would be trying to use that one :mrgreen:

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:08 am

M5 :?:

When I were young, it was the A38. Birmingham was a day's drive from home in Bath :!:

And getting to Aylesbury pre motorway would have taken all day. There also weren't the railway services we expect today.

Tell the kids that, they just don't believe you....

Are you keeping a tally of the furthest away member that makes it to the show Terry? Any from south of the Thames?
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Return to “Exhibitions”