Scaleforum 2013

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Jo Palmer

Re: Scaleforum 2013

Postby Jo Palmer » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:25 pm

johnlewis wrote:As a brand new member I haven't attended model railway exhibitions of any kind that I can remember. Scaleforum 2013 might be the "best" but Aylesbury isn't particularly easy to get to from Yeovil by road or rail, however Wells is just 3/4 hour up the road so my first ever (probably) exhibition will be RailWells 2013 in August. I am not all that interested in watching working layouts but there will be lots of trade stands and with luck I may even be able to spend some money there if I don't spend more than SWMBO likes in the meantime.

Whilst RailWells is a lovely show and to be recommended for a visit (very nice mix of layouts and trade stands) - if you are looking to really empty your wallet then a trip to Scaleforum is well worth it. We will be travelling up from Teignmouth in South Devon and the journey to Aylesbury isn't that bad at all by road.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:03 pm

johnlewis wrote:As a brand new member I haven't attended model railway exhibitions of any kind that I can remember. Scaleforum 2013 might be the "best" but Aylesbury isn't particularly easy to get to from Yeovil by road or rail, however Wells is just 3/4 hour up the road so my first ever (probably) exhibition will be RailWells 2013 in August. I am not all that interested in watching working layouts but there will be lots of trade stands and with luck I may even be able to spend some money there if I don't spend more than SWMBO likes in the meantime.

Hi John,

The other good thing about shows is that they can be incredibly sociable events. I tend to spend more time chatting to folk that I know than watching layouts these days.

Which is a Good Thing, as people are what makes a hobby :-)

Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Natalie Graham

Postby Natalie Graham » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:23 pm

Flymo748 wrote: I tend to spend more time chatting to folk that I know than watching layouts these days.

So you are that bloke who's always stood chatting to his mates with his back to the layout I want to look at, completely blocking the view.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:13 pm

Natalie Graham wrote:
Flymo748 wrote: I tend to spend more time chatting to folk that I know than watching layouts these days.

So you are that bloke who's always stood chatting to his mates with his back to the layout I want to look at, completely blocking the view.

If he's wearing a Ducati jacket, yes ;-)

Although despite a love of cooking, I don't think that I'm _quite_ wide enough to block out all of Clutton!

Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:44 am

johnlewis wrote:Scaleforum 2013 might be the "best" but Aylesbury isn't particularly easy to get to from Yeovil by road or rail,

From Yeovil take the A359 to the junction with the A 303, follow the A303 all the way to the junction with the A34, then A34 north to to the junction with the M40 then A41 to Aylesbury. Total distance (single) about 160 miles. All reasonable roads apart from the single carriageway section on the A 303 around Stonehenge. Travel time 3 - 3 1/2 hours, and perhaps a bit less dependin gon when you travel. Perfectly doable, depending of course on how much you like driving. I am not an expert on the trains but I guess a SW Trains service to Waterloo and then across to Marylebone and a train to Aylesbury

johnlewis wrote:there will be lots of trade stands
There will be trade stands at Railwells and it is always a good show. The guide for last year's show lists 15 trade stands and I expect it will be around the same number this year since there is a limit that can be fitted into the space. At Scaleforum there will be 49 traders so many more to part you from your cash! :D There will also be some interesting demos at RailWells but again a wider range at Scaleforum, including some intended especially for those new to P4, simply because we have the space.

Be rash - go to both! :D :D

Terry Bendall

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:09 am

Flymo748 wrote:.....despite a love of cooking, I don't think that I'm _quite_ wide enough to block out all of Clutton!

Give it time...... :mrgreen:
That would be an ecumenical matter.

jayell

Postby jayell » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:42 am

Terry Bendall wrote:
johnlewis wrote:Scaleforum 2013 might be the "best" but Aylesbury isn't particularly easy to get to from Yeovil by road or rail,

From Yeovil take the A359 to the junction with the A 303, follow the A303 all the way to the junction with the A34, then A34 north to to the junction with the M40 then A41 to Aylesbury. Total distance (single) about 160 miles. All reasonable roads apart from the single carriageway section on the A 303 around Stonehenge. Travel time 3 - 3 1/2 hours, and perhaps a bit less dependin gon when you travel. Perfectly doable, depending of course on how much you like driving. I am not an expert on the trains but I guess a SW Trains service to Waterloo and then across to Marylebone and a train to Aylesbury

<snipped>

Be rash - go to both! :D :D

The route you suggest is the one I'd picked as the best rather than the AA one, the 303 shouldn't be too busy as it will be 'out of season'

I'll have to see when the time comes, I don't much like driving longish distances these days so it would mean a two day trip. If my wife isn't too bored at Railwells then maybe she be happy to go to Aylesbury as well, she could go shopping for duck whilst we were there since roast duck breast is our favourite meal. ;)

jayell

Postby jayell » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:43 pm

Terry Bendall wrote: Be rash - go to both! :D :D

I hope I have the date correct as I just told my wife we were having a weekend away in Aylesbury on 28/29th Sep and have booked accommodation in a B&B, 1 mile away from the stadium, for one night. I was amazed that she didn't quibble about anything except the fact the cost was a bit more than a motel would charge.

:D

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:55 pm

johnlewis wrote:
Terry Bendall wrote: Be rash - go to both! :D :D

I hope I have the date correct as I just told my wife we were having a weekend away in Aylesbury on 28/29th Sep and have booked accommodation in a B&B, 1 mile away from the stadium, for one night. I was amazed that she didn't quibble about anything except the fact the cost was a bit more than a motel would charge.

:D

Scaleforum is, and will remain for the foreseeable future, on the last full weekend of September each year.

Ironically, the only time that this has come close to changing was last year. Due to the significant increase in cost of hiring Leatherhead as a venue, Terry raised an opportunity for us to hold Scaleforum 2012 at Stoke Mandeville, but one weekend earlier, at a saving to the Society of a couple of thousand pounds.

Unfortunately, by the time that an internal discussion within the Committee had taken place, that opportunity had passed. So for 2012 we remained on our traditional date, and at Leatherhead for one last time.

So you do indeed have the correct dates for 2013 :-)

Cheers
Paul Willis
Deputy Chairman
www.5522models.co.uk

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:25 am

johnlewis wrote:she could go shopping for duck whilst we were there since roast duck breast is our favourite meal.

Well I have to admit that when I suggested that we move Scaleforum to Aylesbury, i did not think that we would get onto this topic! :D :D :D

I am not sure if you will find Aylesbury duck for sale in Aylesbury itself but if you go to http://www.duckfarm.co.uk/richard/waller/home you will find some information about a local breeder of the Aylesbury duck and the other contact details are: Richard and Beverly Waller, Long Grove Wood Farm, 234 Chartridge Lane, Chesham, Buckinghamshire, HP5 2SG 01494 772744 or Mobile 07850 190441

For a fairly small market town Aylesbury has quite a good selection of shops with most of the national chain stores present. A bit further away is Milton Keynes which has an even larger slection. There is also a large market which is open on Saturdays

We will publish some information about places to visit around Aylesbury, both railway related and others for those who have different tastes, either on the web site or in the show guide if we have room.

Terry Bendall

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:43 am

The Broad Leys http://www.thebroadleys.co.uk/ does have Aylesbury duck on its menu, in fact the Broad leys is the closest pub to Stoke Mandeville stadium only 15 minutes walk away, and is where we have our Saturday night social and buffet for Railex, it also has rooms if you wish to stay over, the food is really good not cheep but worth it if you want a really good meal.

David

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:33 pm

I don't know if Terry has got anything planned for the Friday and Saturday nights of Scaleforum, but if anyone who is staying over wants to go for a drink then we could maybe have a meet up the Hop Pole is best for real ale, although the Broad Leys and Bricklayers arms both 15 minutes walk from the stadium are closer and both have beer gardens.

David

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:59 pm

David Bigcheeseplant wrote:I don't know if Terry has got anything planned for the Friday and Saturday nights of Scaleforum, but if anyone who is staying over wants to go for a drink then we could maybe have a meet up the Hop Pole is best for real ale, although the Broad Leys and Bricklayers arms both 15 minutes walk from the stadium are closer and both have beer gardens.

Well, there are a few real ale fans on the Committee and a noted expert on How To Get Lost In Crewe Whilst Searching For Beer amongst them, so I'm sure that something sociable will be taking place.

On the Saturday night there is normally a gathering of organisers and exhibitors for a sociable bite, and (venue permitting) I'm sure that other members that are interested in joining (particularly those travelling from afar, like south of the Thames) us would be VERY welcome.

Cheers
Paul Willis
Deputy Chairman
[edited at 15.54 for mangled logic. Thanks to Danny for pointing out the cock-up!]
www.5522models.co.uk

Will L

Postby Will L » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:06 pm

Flymo748 wrote:Well, there are a few real ale fans on the Committee and a noted expert on How To Get Lost In Crewe Whilst Searching For Beer amongst them,

Fully understandable if trying to find real beer in Crewe I'm afraid.

Will

P.S. For those planning to prove me wrong by searching the internet I would point out that anywhere with a post code other than CW1 is not in Crewe, no mater what the postal address may suggest.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:15 pm

[quote="Will L"Fully understandable if trying to find real beer in Crewe I'm afraid.

Will

P.S. For those planning to prove me wrong by searching the internet I would point out that anywhere with a post code other than CW1 is not in Crewe, no mater what the postal address may suggest.[/quote]

Well, my usual guide when not in the car (we have the Good Pub Guide installed as an accessory in the sat nav...) is Beer In The Evening. www.beerintheevening.com

Picking the first pub that came up in the list of 15 for CW1, it had this little gem...

"A dive full of locals which look like they might actually kill you for being in their basement pub.

Awful atmospehere (sic) with awful beer. Avoid."

Still, when the Committee ventured out there and did, eventually, find beer, at least none of us were knifed on the way back!

Cheers
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

wally

Postby wally » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:49 pm

You all have been very lucky, when I was last in Crewe there was a brewery strike on and no beer available. Still that was about thirty years ago, supplies may have resumed since

Wally

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:58 am

David Bigcheeseplant wrote:I don't know if Terry has got anything planned for the Friday and Saturday nights of Scaleforum

Just to bring this thread back on track :) following the diversion on the availability of good beer in Crewe, yes there is a meal planned for the Saturday evening of Scaleforum and all those who are exhibiting and helping with the organisation of the show have been invited to attend. At the moment I am afraid that we don't have room to invite traders or any visitors as well but we will see how numbers go. Nothing formal planned for the Friday evening since the organising team team tend to be a little busy then and we do quite well if we have the time to stop to eat anything. :(

Terry Bendall

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:50 am

At Railex on the Friday night we take orders for fish and chips from the chippy down the road and get them delivered to the stadium, this always seems to go down well with exibitors and traders, and head to the pub after everything has been set up.

What time do you have access to the stadium for setting up, as the stadium when I spoke to them said they had a major sporting event running throut the week and it would be a case of one lot out one lot in!

David

DougN

Postby DougN » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:28 am

David, I would be slightly worried if a exhibition did that to my local chippy... I would like $200 worth of chips 50 fish, 25 grilled 30 dim sims, and 120 potatoe cakes :shock: Jim would probably die of shock but it is a little further from an exhibition.

Got to smile though at the thought!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:06 pm

DougN wrote:David, I would be slightly worried if a exhibition did that to my local chippy... I would like $200 worth of chips 50 fish, 25 grilled 30 dim sims, and 120 potatoe cakes :shock: Jim would probably die of shock but it is a little further from an exhibition.

Got to smile though at the thought!

High Tide fish and chips are just the other end of the road from the stadium, at Railex we phone through the order and get them delivered in hot boxes a while later.

Natalie Graham

Postby Natalie Graham » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:49 pm

David Bigcheeseplant wrote:High Tide fish and chips are just the other end of the road from the stadium,

Must be a very high tide if it reaches Aylesbury. :D

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:00 am

David Bigcheeseplant wrote:What time do you have access to the stadium for setting up,

The booking, for which we have written confirmation is:
Friday September 27th 13.00 - 22.00
Saturday September 28th 07.45 - 18.15
Sunday September 29th 08.45 - 19.30

It is planned to have fish and chips on the menu for Friday night.

Terry Bendall

NorthHighlander

Postby NorthHighlander » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:34 pm

...and some of us come from John O Groats!

Webcams are a good idea but how about a television type internet broadcast? If interested I could have a look at the technicalities... (btw, it's not necessary for Stoke Mandeville to have broadband as long as the area is well covered by 3G..)
Regards
Tony Hagon

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:33 pm

NorthHighlander wrote:how about a television type internet broadcast? If interested I could have a look at the technicalities...

Interesting Tony. By all means have a look at the technicalities, but putting them aside for a moment, what content do you have in mind and what form would you want such a broadcast to take?

All the Best
Danny

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:26 am

NorthHighlander wrote:how about a television type internet broadcast? If interested I could have a look at the technicalities...

An excellent idea which would be helpful for those who cannot come. BTW, thanks to Rob's efforts, there is now some more information about Scaleforum on the main website with a bit more information about the layouts and demonstrations and a list of traders due to come. There is a bit more to add, including some more about the demos., and that will follow shortly.

Terry Bendall

Return to “Exhibitions”