Scaleforum I have known

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Andy W

Re: Scaleforum I have known

Postby Andy W » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:27 pm

Fabulous stuff. I wonder if Tony Wilkins from pic 3 is still having to answer the same questions now as he did then?
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:52 pm

But in the interests of 'getting it alright' and on the far side of a very nice lunch time addition to the menu, shouldn't it be "Scalefora I have known"?

John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Bulwell Hall

Postby Bulwell Hall » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:59 pm

Amazing photos of Scalefourum 1979 and did'nt we all look so young! There are a few familiar faces including Roger Cox of the North London Group with Alan Gibson looking on in Photo 2. Is that Martyn Welch in photo 4 looking at the 3F? Photo 5 has a very suave looking Mike Trice seated at the demo table. But I don't see myself in any of the photos even though I was there. Are there any more?

Gerry

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:24 pm

Bulwell Hall wrote:Amazing photos of Scalefourum 1979 and did'nt we all look so young! There are a few familiar faces including Roger Cox of the North London Group with Alan Gibson looking on in Photo 2. Is that Martyn Welch in photo 4 looking at the 3F? Photo 5 has a very suave looking Mike Trice seated at the demo table. But I don't see myself in any of the photos even though I was there. Are there any more?

Gerry

Interesting you say Alan Gibson, I know what you mean but I've also had suggested it's Harry Drummond (the one in the middle that is). Anyone confirm either way?

Might be Martyn Welch, amongst the other photos is one of who I think is Mrs Martyn Welch. Most of the others are of the presentations for the Chairman's Cup, which I will put up later in the week.
Rod

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:47 pm

I hadn't previously looked at the B&W photos from 1979 properly.

I can confirm/add a few identifications:

#2 Roger Cox on left (then of the North London Group)
#3 Tony Wilkins seated centre right (North London Group again)
#4 John Palmer on left (Mendip Area Group)
#6 Jim Wheaton (left) and Ian Stockley (right) (both from the Ipsley Circle).

Mercifully, a shot of yours truly taken on the same occasion has not been published (although it did appear elsewhere at the time). I was an active member of the North London Group in those days - I am still an honorary (country) member.

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:03 pm

So, before I put the rest up, so far I/we have:

Mike Goodall left, John Palmer closely inspecting something on the next table

Roger Cox left, Harry Drummond centre

Ted Coghlan end of table above elbow in lamp, Tony Wilkins seated, Dick Johnson bending over right

John Palmer and ?Martyn Welch, Keith Hawkins sat at far table

Mike Trice seated right, above him Terry ? (loco builder, disappeared from scene?)

Jim Wheaton (looks a bit like Steve Hall?) and Ian Stockley of the Ipsley Circle

?

Any more takers? (Some of these, and others that I don't have 'originals' for, are in SN #20).
Rod

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:00 pm

I can definitely confirm that the person on the left in #6 is Jim Wheaton (not Steve Hall), but he no longer has a moustache.

I forwarded a copy of this photo to Ian Stockley, who doesn't usually visit the webforum, and I think it came as quite a shock to him to see this photograph.

One has to remember that we are all 32 years older!

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:11 pm

A couple of further suggetsions:

In #1, I don't think that that's Mike Goodall on the left. Mike and I (no relation) were members of the NLG at the same time - it caused some confusion having two M.Goodall's in the Group!

In #7, the person crouching down to look at the LMS loco may be Ian Haynes, but it's difficult to tell from this angle.

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:09 pm

OK, here's the other batch, mostly concerning the presentations for the Chairman's Cup classes

#1 Third from left is Joe Brook Smith, and fourth from left Bob Essery. Who are the two on the left? I have a note saying 'Stratton' for second left, but that's all.
PC220046.JPG

#2 Bernard Baker being presented with the trophy for Class 1 (scratchbuilt locos) and his winning Adams Radial. In the white shirt on the left is Bryan Popkin.
PC220048.JPG

PC220047.JPG

#3 Philip Millard won the Chairman's Cup for his Class 2 entry of LNWR coaches. The man at the back on the right with jacket and tie I believe is Ken York.
PC220050.JPG

PC220049.JPG

#4 Mike Jolly won Class 4 for his Winchester Chesil station building and Warminster footbridge. The back of the photo says Mike also won Class 3 (some GWR wagons) but Scalefour News 20 states that Class 3 was won by P A Jolly. Can anyone clarify this?
PC220052.JPG

PC220051.JPG

#5 Class 5 (kit builds) was won by Ian Harrison for his Mallard autocoach
PC220054.JPG

PC220053.JPG

#6 Helen Welch
PC220055.JPG

#7 Mike Jolly on the Southampton AG stand
PC220056.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rod

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:15 pm

So what year Rod? It is the Commenwealth Institute so we are beginning to go back some way................
Mark Tatlow

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:18 pm

1979 Mark (as per the intro to the first tranche!)
Rod

Will L

Postby Will L » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:46 pm

Rod's #1 photo. The man on the left looks very like Dick Petter. Compare it with the photo at the end of this link which is of similar antiquity, where Dick is the last man on the right.

By the look of it Dick has been caught in the background in a number of these shots.

Will

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:54 pm

#1 photo; to the left of Joe Brook- Smith is SW 'Steve' Stevens-Stratten, editor for many years of Model Railway Constructor.

Philip

Bulwell Hall

Postby Bulwell Hall » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:19 pm

Brilliant photos!

As Phillip has said the third man in photo 1 is 'Steve' Stratton - editor of MRC and a regular speaker on the circuit at the time. I don't think the chap with jacket and tie in the background of photo 3 is Ken York although I don't know who it is. And I am sure I recognise the first Mrs Lowery in the background of several of the photos!

Gerry

HowardGWR

Postby HowardGWR » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:38 pm

As a newcomer, this needs sorting out and the same photos posted again with agreed captions. I would just like to see what Ken York looked like. He was clearly an amazing character. Did he actually model anything? Thanks to T Venton (getting into the mood of the times) for starting this off.

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:13 pm

I can only find two pictures of Ken in Scalefour News: no 25 page 10 and no 28 page 6.

All past editions of Scalefour News are downloadable from the archive in the members' area.

Also if you have it, you'll find a picture along with tributes on page 34 of MRJ no 20.

All the Best
Danny

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:59 am

Picture #5 in the first set - Martyn Welch has just confirmed to me that it is indeed him looking at the 3F.

Philip

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:19 pm

There is more to come I'm sure, I still haven't finished uploading my pictures from ten years later! According to my diary, I wasn't at the 1979 Scaleforum, so I'm ruled out...

But doesn't it look busy? The room I remember being quite small. Were there really that many people there?
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

shipbadger

Postby shipbadger » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:36 pm

Hi all,

I've looked carefully and can't find me in any of the photos, but two things do stand out from that show. By pure chance I found myself sitting next to Bernard Baker whilst he was showing someone the Adams Radial and wondering if I'd ever be able to model like that; those that know me need not post the answer! Secondly I can still clearly remember that 'I'm an exhibitionist T shirt' :-)

Tony Comber

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:57 pm

Bulwell Hall wrote:Brilliant photos!

As Phillip has said the third man in photo 1 is 'Steve' Stratton - editor of MRC and a regular speaker on the circuit at the time. I don't think the chap with jacket and tie in the background of photo 3 is Ken York although I don't know who it is. And I am sure I recognise the first Mrs Lowery in the background of several of the photos!

Gerry

Thanks Gerry, and to all others who have contibuted so far. I never met Ken York so I can't be more confident that it is him, I was just passing on someone else's opinion.

So the blonde lady with the coat over her arm is Bev Lowery?
Rod

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:38 am

shipbadger wrote:

I can still clearly remember that 'I'm an exhibitionist' T shirt

Martyn wrote this to me when I drew his attention to the pictures, which I'm sure he won't mind me repeating:

"That shot of Helen was featured on Page 3 of that particular Scalefour News - The Sun always had a Page 3 girl at the time and I think someone thought it a good wheeze to do the same. We were both involved in an Ideal Home exhibition business at that time, hence her T-Shirt that was issued to exhibition staff but we thought it appropriate for Scaleforum.
I also recall Helen was virtually the only female to be seen at the show back in those days."

There was Bev Lowery of course, and I'm also sure that she is in some of the pictures.

Philip

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:15 am

Is that Mike Peascod on the extreme left of #3 in the first tranche?
Rod

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:21 am

Anyone else notice that the wagon in front of Helen is derailed? No, thought not.
Rod

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:39 am

Bulwell Hall wrote:Brilliant photos!

As Phillip has said the third man in photo 1 is 'Steve' Stratton - editor of MRC and a regular speaker on the circuit at the time.

I owe a lot to 'Steve'. He was the first person to show me the path to 'finescale'. I used to work in Shepperton, near Ian Allan's Terminal House and he sold me two brass scratchbuilt locos, a Manor and a Stanier 3-cyl which I still have today.

Rod Cameron wrote: I never met Ken York so I can't be more confident that it is him, I was just passing on someone else's opinion.

My arm wouldn't go much further up my back until I submitted to S4 membership when caught admiring Heckmondwike! A very persuasive chap!
John

Trevor Grout

Postby Trevor Grout » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:25 pm

Rod Cameron wrote:Anyone else notice that the wagon in front of Helen is derailed? No, thought not.

Is that what I was supposed to be looking at then!

Return to “Exhibitions”