Chilterns Exhibition in Stevenage?

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
bobwallison

Chilterns Exhibition in Stevenage?

Postby bobwallison » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:50 am

Does anyone know what has happened to the Chilterns MRA annual show in Stevenage? There seems to be no publicity for a 2023 show so I assume it isn't happening. It's a great shame because it was probably the best one within easy reach of the Herts/Essex borders.

Regards,
Bob

zebedeesknees

Re: Chilterns Exhibition in Stevenage?

Postby zebedeesknees » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:12 am

Seconded! Interesting show with 2mm scale and 7mm scale too. Easy drive from here in East London.
Venue for a mini Scaleforum?

Ted.
(A purists' purist)

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:28 pm

There is nothing showing on the CRMA web site. Perhaps contact via the link on the Association home page might bring forth some information.

Terry Bendall

andrewphiliphanson

Postby andrewphiliphanson » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:46 pm

From correspondence I had with a colleague in the 2mm Scale Association (which is an Associate member of the CMRA) back in late 2020, I understand the CMRA exhibition manager (David Crossley) had decided to stand down on health grounds and presumably they have not been able to find a replacement for him.

There were also some concerns about the venue at Stevenage - the car park adjacent to the venue which was used by exhibitors seems to have disappeared under a new bus station and the access road down the side of the venue has also gone, so it seems that the venue isn't as accessible/useable as it once was. There also seem to be plans to rebuild various parts of Stevenage town centre which would possibly affect the venue even more.

As Terry has suggested, contact via the CMRA website would hopefully result in some definite information.

regards,

Andy

ColinMcC

Postby ColinMcC » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:36 am

From my contacts in the CMRA it is highly unlikely that there will an exhibition in 2023. The reasons include David Crossley stepping down as Exhibition Manager (he has been unwell for some time) and the development in Stevenage adjacent to the venue making it unsuitable for the exhibition.

I am aware that they have been looking for alternative venues (and I know of one possible location not that far away from Stevenage) but I can't tell at the moment.

I shall be meeting up with some friends (who also happen to be part of the CMRA) at the end of the month and, hopefully, I can advise further.

Colin McCallum.

bobwallison

Postby bobwallison » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:49 pm

Thanks Colin. I have emailed the chairman of CMRA so hopefully at least one of us will find out if the Stevenage show is dead or dormant. Hopefully the latter.

Bob

bobwallison

Postby bobwallison » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:16 pm

Chairman of CMRA has responded, confirming the suspicions mentioned above:
1. Stevenage venue no longer possible due to lack of access for loading/unloading layouts.
2. No one has stepped up to replace the former exhibition manager.

Sad times.

Bob

Return to “Exhibitions”