Larkrail

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Captain Kernow

Re: Larkrail

Postby Captain Kernow » Tue May 31, 2022 5:15 pm

Returning to matters of a helpful nature, I have taken the liberty of copying Simon's area map, showing areas where one might park near the show, given that the car park immediately outside the hall is of relatively limited capacity.

There is also parking close to his premises (Titfield and WSP), near the Toll Bridge with, I understand, a bus shuttle running between.

Larkpark.jpg.14562b394fc017f3647b1e84fc5506a5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Tue May 31, 2022 5:54 pm

Thanks Tim (and Castens Cartography), looking forward to it and catching up with friends :D
Rod

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue May 31, 2022 7:09 pm

I have never made it to Larkrail and this year sounds very good. Unfortunately it clashes with the DEMU Showcase event where I am already committed to represent the Society and show some wagons of many and varied types. Having lived without exhibitions for so long it is a shame when things clash but there are only so many weekends available. :(

Terry Bendall

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:26 pm

Afternoon all,

Further details of the wonderful show being put on by Simon and Jerry have continued to emerge as the line-up is finalised.

If there is any need to tempt you further to see some exceptional and inspirational layouts, have a look at the ones described in this post on Western Thunder:

https://www.westernthunder.co.uk/threads/larkrail.2001/page-17#post-252147

I'm looking forward to seeing many of you in Bath. There will be a good contingent from the BS4 Area Group popping across to enjoy the show.

Cheers
Paul WIllis
Scalefour Publicity
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:09 pm

Paul Willis wrote:There will be a good contingent from the BS4 Area Group popping across to enjoy the show.

There will also be representation from the Devon Riviera Area Group!
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

Marshcastle

Postby Marshcastle » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:58 pm

Thank you for your positive comments, all is now set for the show on Saturday.

Arrangements include free off street parking under Fielden Clegg Bradley's Old Brewery building. Drop down the hill towards the Toll Bridge and turn into the car park immediately that you have passed the Old Brewery on your left - you can't miss it. Postcode BA1 7DE

The bookshop is situated in my "Shoffice" at 4 Tollbridge Studios, immediately above the Old Brewery building, and there is a free minibus shuttle running between here and the show in nearby Larkhall, about one mile distant, also a pleasant walk for those so inclined.

I have some special offers running for the day, 50% off all Oakwood books in stock - there are quite a few, also 50% off all Strathwood and "Modern Image" titles in stock and also across all bus and several London related titles held in stock.

Jerry and I look forward to catching up with friends old and new over the weekend.

Simon

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:14 pm

Cracking day out Gromit! Thoroughly enjoyed myself.

I'm not sure how many Scalefour Society members I saw at the show - maybe two dozen or more, yet there were no P4, EM (or S7) layouts there! Just shows it isn't the layouts that pull them in, it's the show itself!
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Albert Hall

Postby Albert Hall » Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:52 pm

...and the camaraderie! Well worth the 140 mile round trip. The famous selection of cake was pretty good as well.

Roy

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:41 pm

Albert Hall wrote:...and the camaraderie! Well worth the 140 mile round trip. The famous selection of cake was pretty good as well.

Roy

Lovely to catch up with you Roy, on the walk in from Simon's "shoffice" to the show. Glad that you're keeping well, and looking forward to seeing you again at Railwells :-)

Cheers
Paul

PS - lemon drizzle for me - I had the last slice! And then my wife had picked up a salted caramel tart in Cheddar for me to enjoy when I arrived back home ;-)
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Albert Hall

Postby Albert Hall » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:35 pm

Wow! All I got was a list of chores to do tomorrow. Made the mistake of chatting to EditorTim so it's another short article for Snooze to work on.

No peace for the wicked!

Roy

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:18 pm

I hadn't been to LarkRail before, but it was a mosy enjoyable day and it was great to see so many friends again.

IMG_0241.JPG

IMG_0217.JPG

IMG_0210.JPG

IMG_0212.JPG

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0240.JPG

IMG_0235.JPG

IMG_0236.JPG

IMG_0233.JPG

IMG_0231.JPG

All the Best
Danny
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:19 am

Larkrail was a really inspirational show, and was a welcome return after 5 years.

There was plenty of what the Irish call 'good craic', and I lost count of the number of animated conversations I had with old friends.

Simon and Jerry and their team deserve warmest congratulations on putting together such a great show.

DaveHarris

Postby DaveHarris » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:14 pm

I echo Martin's comments. Many thanks to Simon, Jerry and team for a VERY enjoyable show! Roll on the next one... and my wife has promised to make a few goodies for the cake stand next year!

ianpenberth

Postby ianpenberth » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:21 pm

Great to see Simon and Jerry that the show is back on its feet again (with the usual craic, it would seem) and so sorry to have had to miss it.

It's an easy show to go to but much harder to leave. The last train back east from Bath on a Saturday night was always a 'lively' experience.
Ian
PenBits Model Railways - Diesel bogie springing and detailing

Tim Dubya

Postby Tim Dubya » Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:18 pm

Word on the street is it's happening all over again :thumb

LarkRail 2023.jpg
For legal reasons everything I post is a joke...

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:05 am

Always a friendly and relaxed show. Well worth attending!

Layouts

Newton Heath Works - Martin Finney
Arun Quay - Gordon Gravett
Sheep Dip - Rob Gunstone
Wantage - Robin Gay
Lochty - Andy Cundick
Arcadia - Richard Barton
Maple River - Paul Marshall-Potter
Upwatch Quary - Richard Phipp
Hepton Wharf - South Hants MRC +++++
York Road - Tim Watson and the MRC
Hunslet Works - Andy Ross

+++++ The late Iain Rice was a great supporter of, and regular exhibitor at Larkrail so it is fitting that Hepton Wharf, arguably the original Cameo layout, will be returning to the exhibition scene at this years event. The layout is now in the very capable hands of the South Hants MRC who are steadily bringing it back to something approaching its former glory after many years in storage.

Alongside the Wharf will be a display of some of Iain's other models and artifacts which are now in the care of a group of friends. This will include some original artwork, trackplans, photo albums and some of the stock from the ground breaking Tregarick and the North Cornwall Minerals layouts of the 1970s and early 80s.

Jerry

Demonstrators

Bob Brown - 3mm modelling
Giles Favell - Radio control and stuff
Andrew Vines, Dave Easto and Steve Cook - various largescale treats from live steam to Hydraulics
Dennis Lepper - figure painting and a few of his late father's wonderful locos

Trade

Branch Lines
Youchoos
Titfield Thunderbolt/Wild Swan

Kims Kitchen, with cake

Taken from RMweb
John

Worzels Works

Postby Worzels Works » Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:09 am

What a brilliant line up that is! gutted to be missing out on it this year, and some brilliant demonstrations too... keep the rest of us updated with some snaps if people do go please :)
Yours aye,
James

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:31 am

Much to my frustration, I too shall miss Larkrail this year.

I simply won't be able to get there, but in any event my diary tells me that on that day I should be in THREE places at once - a skill I have not yet mastered, so I shall have to miss out on two of them. (If I had had any choice in the matter, Larkrail would have go my vote.)

Tim Dubya

Postby Tim Dubya » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:08 pm

Apparently there will be some cake available.

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:18 am

Tim Dubya wrote:Apparently there will be some cake available.

Ah yes, Kim's cakes...to be relished!
John

Martin Kelly

Postby Martin Kelly » Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:47 pm

I'm aiming to pop along and eat cake, er... admire the layouts. I missed last year's through poor planning so I'm really looking forward to tomorrow!

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:09 pm

Just looking at the weather forecast for Larkhall tomorrow and wondering if there will be boats on hand.
Hoping to be there…
Danny

Tim Dubya

Postby Tim Dubya » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:10 pm

dcockling wrote:Just looking at the weather forecast for Larkhall tomorrow and wondering if there will be boats on hand.
Hoping to be there…
Danny

It ain't called "Bath" for nothin' :D

Tim Dubya

Postby Tim Dubya » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:11 pm

Re6/6 wrote:
Tim Dubya wrote:Apparently there will be some cake available.

Ah yes, Kim's cakes...to be relished!

I'm bringing a +1 to ensure we can sample a reasonable cross section (all of them) of these delights for review on TripAdvisor :thumb

Tim Dubya

Postby Tim Dubya » Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:54 pm

It was fab :thumb

Return to “Exhibitions”