Railex 2024

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Steve Carter

Railex 2024

Postby Steve Carter » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:44 pm

Railex 2024 is at Stoke Mandeville stadium over the weekend of Saturday May 25th and Sunday 26th.

See https://www.railex.org.uk/doku.php?id=railexhome for details.

There are four excellent P4 layouts amongst the six 4mm layouts on show -

Lowburn Park - North Eastern Railway, period about 1910.
Market Bosworth - Period - 1908. Market Bosworth station and goods yard. Ashby & Nuneaton Joint Railway (MR and LNWR)
Mostyn - BR North Wales Coast main line in Summer 1977
Trerice - China Clay working

I believe all of the layouts show P4 at its best and I am looking forward to seeing all of them again.

Whilst I don't model the BR blue period I do find Mostyn inspiring. In my option it looks great, runs well and captures the atmosphere with fine detail and operation.

I had a family and career break from modelling, returning to the fold in 2008. One of my first exhibitions I went to was local to me at the time in Beckenham, Kent. This is where I first saw Mostyn and I spent a long time just watching the trains go by.

Mostyn was very near to the Society Stand at Warley in 2017 and attracted crowds all weekend. It certainly helped us on the Society Stand as we just pointed people along to Mostyn to see for themselves that a big P4 layout does work well.

A credit to the Barrowmore MRG :thumb

Oh yes, by the way, the Society Stand will be at Railex as well :)
Last edited by Steve Carter on Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Carter

kelly

Re: Railex 2024

Postby kelly » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:30 am

Steve Carter wrote:Railex 2024 is at Stoke Mandeville stadium over the weekend of Saturday May 25th and Sunday 26th.

Mostyn was very near to the Society Stand at Warley in 2017 and attracted crowds all weekend. It certainly helped us on the Society Stand as we just pointed people along to Mostyn to see for themselves that a big P4 layout does work well.

A credit to the Barrowmore MRG :thumb

Oh yes, by the way, the Society Strand will be at Railex as well :)

That year Mostyn won best Signalled Layout at the show. Initially it wasn't likely to win until the judges saw how it worked from within.

Mostyn is also rather good in a general entertainment sense as Phil will often sit at the front and engage with people and even let them have a go, particularly children.

A fantastic layout, and the show is pretty good, hopefully this year they're back in the main sportshall again.

Kelly
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:41 am

My understanding is that Railex will be in the same hall again as last year. The hospital have only recently relaid the floor in the main sports hall and don't want the great unwashed walking all over it yet.

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:09 pm

Yes Railex will be in the same year as last year, although we are hoping to move back into the sports hall in 2025. I am currently working up the floor plan.
David

kelly

Postby kelly » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:49 pm

A shame, but you can only work with what you get offered. I'm sure it'll be another good show.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

Return to “Exhibitions”