A Few thoughts on Control to help a Newbie

Discuss your experiences with systems, decoders, installations, wiring, control and any general hints & tips you have found.
Le Corbusier

A Few thoughts on Control to help a Newbie

Postby Le Corbusier » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:06 am

Hi,

I am just returning to modelling after a 30 year hiatus. I have been starting by practicing a little loco/coach kit building to assess and hone skills (that's another story)

I am also looking to try out some track building.

The mind is therefore turning to layout design and wiring etc. DCC is a wholly new concept for me ... but as I am starting again from scratch I am not wedded to anything yet.

I thought I would canvas a little opinion here to see whether DCC is pretty much the way to go now when starting from scratch ... or if there are still definitely pros and cons with either set up.

So ... a little fact finding to enable an informed decision. Please feel free to point me in the direction of other threads if this has all been debated before.

Thanks

Tim
Tim Lee

John McAleely
Web Team

Re: A Few thoughts on Control to help a Newbie

Postby John McAleely » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:53 am

Lets start with both (DC, DCC) work. Both are well understood, and you'll have no trouble getting support with either. I perceive that people still select from among them when starting layout projects.

I walked your path a few years ago when I joined the society, and ended up selecting DCC for my layout projects, for these two reasons (among other, less generally compelling ones):

(1) I can remove the need to structure the electrical wiring around the operations I plan on the trackplan. For DC, I would have needed to plan isolating sections etc. This is not the same statement as 'the wiring is simpler/easier'. In a new build, I would wire differently for the two systems.

(2) I can tune the DC driven to each motor, to each motor type. By selecting specific DCC chips & parameters, I can drive the particular motor in each kit/conversion I build as it needs. With DC I might need to choose specific controllers to suit specific motors (some people seem to), or not worry about this problem (some people seem to).

I would also note that I did have to acquire a DC controller (simple, no feedback), since all loco chassis I build myself are 'born DC', and testing them without a DCC chip is more convenient for me. I can use an ammeter in the DC circuit to understand when they bind, etc.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:55 pm

Thanks for the input John.

From your experience is DCC reliable in itself or subject to gremlins? .... more so than DC. Excluding plain bad wiring.

Tim
Tim Lee

Noel

Postby Noel » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:23 pm

I'm a DC user, at least partly for reasons of expense. DCC can present problems, but they can be overcome. I am a member of the same area group as Tim Venton, who uses DCC on Clutton, and he would not wish to return to DC. Some of the answers depend on what sort of layout you propose to build; a shunting plank with one engine may not require the same sort of control system as a larger layout like Clutton.

Are you aware of the series of articles about DCC in S4News 146 onwards [12 in all, available in the archive]? There is also a look at pluses and minuses of DCC in News 168. They are from a few years ago now, but they will hopefully give a lot of the background to DCC.

Noel
Regards
Noel

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:27 pm

I have direct experience of two layouts wired for DCC, and it seems reliable to me. I think it's well past any teething troubles. The last of those seemed to be when Hornby introduced their cheap DCC decoders a few years ago, and hadn't tested them properly. I believe they work now, but I don't actually care :-)

Troubleshooting your installation is clearly different to DC (there are different things that you can get wrong), but you will do some of that for both systems.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:11 pm

I agree with Noel, a lot will depend on where you hope to end up. Personally I'd always go DCC but some of that may be legacy on my part (I don't have any DC equipment). There are pros and cons for each and it's quite a personal thing. It might be worth getting in touch with some layout owners and asking if you can have a go to see what suits you.

Jim
Last edited by jim s-w on Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:25 pm

Thanks for the references Noel ... will do a bit of reading up.

At the moment one of the things that appears attractive about DCC is the flexibility. Having wired up a layout it would seem that it would then be possible to run it in a number of different ways without a big re-wiring/isolating job.

Disadvantages currently seem to be price, the danger of over complication and getting carried away, and perhaps a more delicate system?

As modelling rather than operating is my main focus at the moment DCC would appear to allow me to push the operating aspect down the line somewhat without messing things up.

All food for thought.
Tim Lee

newport_rod

Postby newport_rod » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:17 pm

Le Corbusier – cool name BTW

One consideration not aired yet is what do the other modellers you are in contact with use? As a new starter you may want to run your newly-built locos on their layouts and/or test your track with someone else’s locos. If you choose DCC you can set your locos to run on DC, but although some DCC systems will provide a DC supply to run a DC loco it’s not generally recommended.

I returned to modelling after a gap of about twenty years and found myself surrounded with DCC-ers. I soon converted my own layout and locos to DCC (not a hard task) and haven’t regretted it (and even get a bit evangelical about it if I don’t curb myself)

Rod

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:01 pm

Thanks for the input Rod.

At the moment with young family, business etc this will tend to be pretty much a lone venture - so no clubs - other layouts to run things on in the foreseeable future (though hopefully a few shows. But definitely one to consider ... I didn't know you could switch a loco between DC and DCC.

Tim
Tim Lee

newport_rod

Postby newport_rod » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:37 pm

Le Corbusier wrote: I didn't know you could switch a loco between DC and DCC.

Tim,
It may not apply to all decoders but all that I have come across allow you to select whether the decoder responds to a DC final or not.

I can understand that you may not be able to commit to a club (or S4 Area Group) but if you can find someone with a bit of experience that you can talk things through with I'm sure it would make life easier. But then, there's always the S4 Forum of course!

Rod

David B

Postby David B » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:07 am

Le Corbusier wrote:As modelling rather than operating is my main focus at the moment DCC would appear to allow me to push the operating aspect down the line somewhat without messing things up.

I am only slightly further down the line than you, Tim. Like you, I am making models at the moment, not operating, with the layout gestating quietly whilst I get my thoughts together.

I am inclined towards DCC but have not made up my mind. When I make my locos, (I have only made two chassis so far!) I use a small connector (see an example here) between pick-up and motor so that it will be easier later on to insert a DCC chip. It means that you don't have to solder on to the motor or pick-ups more than once and can make any changes easily.

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:28 am

Like, I suspect, a lot of people i used to be sceptical about DCC. However, three or so years ago my analogue controller began playing up and when I went down to Scalefour North I was genuinely surprised by how easy it was for the boys on the Digitrains stand to sell me an NCE DCC starter set together with a couple of decoders - one a Zimo, which is towards the top end of the market, and a cheaper one to see if i notice much difference (I did). It's a decision I have never regretted. I have just finished laying the track for my new layout and the wiring has been much simpler, and there are no sections or section switches. Loco control is excellent (I've standardised on Zimo decoders), helped of course by the fact that there is a constant 13.5 volts in the rails, regardless of the speed the train is going. I've also equipped several locos with sound, which has opened up a new driving experience.

There are drawbacks. It's more expensive - fitting a Zimo decoder will add about £30 or so to the cost of your loco, £85 if you want sound. Decoders do fail occasionally, although it's usually been my fault when they do and Zimo, through Digitrains, have a £15 no questions asked replacement system - I had to use it when I fitted a 21-pin sound decoder upside down and managed to achieve an unintended smoke effect. And you can have head on collisions! But ask anyone who has converted to DCC whether they'd want to revert to analogue and I'll bet that you can't find anyone who would.

DT

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:03 pm

I am inclined towards DCC but have not made up my mind. When I make my locos, (I have only made two chassis so far!) I use a small connector (see an example here) between pick-up and motor so that it will be easier later on to insert a DCC chip. It means that you don't have to solder on to the motor or pick-ups more than once and can make any changes easily.

Thanks for the suggestion David ... great idea.

Tim
Tim Lee

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:10 pm

by David Thorpe » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:28 am

Like, I suspect, a lot of people i used to be sceptical about DCC. However, three or so years ago my analogue controller began playing up and when I went down to Scalefour North I was genuinely surprised by how easy it was for the boys on the Digitrains stand to sell me an NCE DCC starter set together with a couple of decoders - one a Zimo, which is towards the top end of the market, and a cheaper one to see if i notice much difference (I did). It's a decision I have never regretted. ... But ask anyone who has converted to DCC whether they'd want to revert to analogue and I'll bet that you can't find anyone who would.

Thanks David.

That is the conclusion I am coming to I think.

Are you still using the NCE set up or have you upgraded? ... was it the "PCAB POWERCAB"?

Tim
Tim Lee

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:21 pm

Le Corbusier wrote:Are you still using the NCE set up or have you upgraded? ... was it the "PCAB POWERCAB"?

Yes it was and still is the PowerCab - http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/s ... ercab.aspx . It is limited in that it can only cope with three or four trains at a time, but as I've only got a branch terminus that has been more than adequate and I've never felt any need to upgrade. If I did, NCE have an upgrade path. I have been very pleased indeed with the PowerCab which does everything that I want it to and has proved utterly reliable. I'd certainly recommend it to a beginner, particularly as the set I've indicated contains everything you need - no hidden extras! Incidentally, I've shown the Digitrains offer only because they are who I shop with and have been very happy with - other people I'm sure have been equally happy with other suppliers.

DT

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:43 pm

Tim

if heading into DCC, then there are a lot of controllers around at different budgets and with different features. I'd suggest trying a variety of systems to see what works for you and what features matter - I'd recommend trying on layouts rather than a dealer's demonstration area as what an owner does with the system is often very informative.
For many smaller branch lines and not wanting the DCC system to control any of the turnouts or signals, then the advanced features of some systems are largely irrelevant and the general feel of the control is what matters. But, if wanting advanced features, then the technical capabilities will reduce candidate systems to a much smaller list.

The PowerCab is a sound entry system, works extremely well for many people. It is well designed and expandable, but personally, I don't like its feel. So, I think its important to try a few systems and get a feel for what works in your hands.

I was involved with the very large demonstration of DCC systems at Warley show last November, we had systems from most makers on the demonstration for potential users to try out. And, as a demonstrator I had to be familiar with what was on show. There are striking differences in feel, which, in turn, alters how the user feels their trains respond to the controls.

- Nigel

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:31 pm

nigelcliffe wrote:Tim

if heading into DCC, then there are a lot of controllers around at different budgets and with different features. I'd suggest trying a variety of systems to see what works for you and what features matter - I'd recommend trying on layouts rather than a dealer's demonstration area as what an owner does with the system is often very informative.
For many smaller branch lines and not wanting the DCC system to control any of the turnouts or signals, then the advanced features of some systems are largely irrelevant and the general feel of the control is what matters. But, if wanting advanced features, then the technical capabilities will reduce candidate systems to a much smaller list.

The PowerCab is a sound entry system, works extremely well for many people. It is well designed and expandable, but personally, I don't like its feel. So, I think its important to try a few systems and get a feel for what works in your hands.

I was involved with the very large demonstration of DCC systems at Warley show last November, we had systems from most makers on the demonstration for potential users to try out. And, as a demonstrator I had to be familiar with what was on show. There are striking differences in feel, which, in turn, alters how the user feels their trains respond to the controls.

- Nigel

Nigel,

Thanks for the steer. At the moment one thing is certain ... I will be very much looking at an entry level system to get started (both due to cost and also by way of feeling my way) As I am starting from scratch and kit building the locos nor will I have a large amount of stock to play with. It would be good to get an opinion/steer on what systems would be worth a consider - the reason for my interest in the Power cab was because this and the prodigy express do keep on cropping up as both solid and also expandable. I was thinking to attend the London Festival partially in the hope of having a look at some different options.

Tim
Tim Lee

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:38 am

Tim,
what follows is my personal view of entry priced systems, others will take a different view, particularly on the feel of the system. I've set the cut-off at £250, which means some makers are not mentioned.

Hornby and Bachmann - I really don't like their systems! Bachmann have a new one coming and maybe it will have the problems of the last version fixed, but until its actually available I reserve judgement.

NCE PowerCab (around £140). Expandable. Handset on the large side and a few button layout issues (a couple of which really annoy me!), but basically well designed with the buttons structured into groups and well sized. Latching/non-latching of function keys is fixed (can be annoying with more complex decoders, particularly sound). Really needs the optional £20 "Smart switch" adding to prevent 're-programming everything' mistakes. Support tends to refer you to the US.

Digitrax Zephyr Xtra* (around £160). Highly expandable through LocoNet, supported by both Digitrax and third-party suppliers. Desk based system with nice speed and direction control levers. Additional roving handsets can be added quite cheaply. Buttons a bit small and "1980's" in feel. Lacks indication of which loco functions are active (annoying for some users, particularly sound, irrelevant to other users). Latching/non-latching of function keys is fixed (can be annoying with more complex decoders, particularly sound). Support in UK is good from some dealers, others have a habit of referring you to the US.

Gaugemaster Prodigy range. Gaugemaster re-badging of MRC product from USA. A few versions available with different capabilities. Very limited expansion. Whilst superficially similar to PowerCab handset, the feel is very different as the position of the speed control is in a different place (arguably worse on the Gaugemaster) and the display is clearer than the PowerCab. Buttons not as well grouped as PowerCab. Latching/non-latching of function keys is fixed (can be annoying with more complex decoders, particularly sound). Support in UK is excellent (for Gaugemaster hardware!), repairs are quick and often free even when caused by user-abuse.

Roco Multimaus. (Around £100) Almost disappeared from shops now, but a few still available. Expandable (compatible with Lenz hardware). Easy to use. Handset supports a named loco roster, with control of which keys are latching/non-latching. Support is OK, though reading German does help.
Roco z21/Z21. New system with two versions (capital and lower case Z) offering different amounts of expansion. Requires a smartphone (Android or Apple) as the throttle. Being all software its highly customisable, with photos of locos, icons for each feature. Can even have a loco cab layout and a camera showing live driver's view of the layout ahead with the controls positioned around the cab! I think its still a "work in progress" bit of software, so expect a few annoyances. But its almost certainly the way many systems will go in the future.

Uhlenbrock Daisy II System* (around £210 for system). Very nice compact handset introduced in 2014. Supports named loco roster, individual icons for all functions, control of latching/non-latching keys for each loco. Highly Expandable. Support good through UK importer (A&H in Northants, who have numerous videos explaining the system) and a handful of dealers, though maker is primarily German speaking. Runs LocoNet, so a fair bit of third-party equipment is available, and is mostly compatible with Digitrax LocoNet hardware.

MERG CBUS system (around £100 to get enough kits to build DCC system). DIY system which you assemble from a kit of parts. Very expandable. Need to join MERG. Really nice handset (I'd put it second to the Uhlenbrock Daisy II, and much nicer than many others). Support for builders is good, those who get stuck often receive offers of individual help, diagnostics, etc..
But, needs someone who has the right electronics mindset. As a comparison, would you recommend a Finney A3 kit to a typical Hornby OO modeller ? I think MERG is a bit similar, right mindset and its brilliant, but if you don't have that then its going to be a nightmare.

I've probably missed something, but that might give you a list to think about.

(* I've used a Zephyr for years, though my preferred mobile handsets are Uhlenbrock - I recently sold my Digitrax DT402D handset. I use a Fred handset and am thinking of adding a Daisy II handset. My decision to go for a Zephyr was in part due to LocoNet and its expandability. Were I looking to start again and staying below £250, I'd be choosing between Daisy II and MERG. ).

- Nigel

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:53 pm

nigelcliffe wrote:Tim,
what follows is my personal view of entry priced systems, others will take a different view, particularly on the feel of the system. I've set the cut-off at £250, which means some makers are not mentioned.

Hornby and Bachmann - I really don't like their systems! Bachmann have a new one coming and maybe it will have the problems of the last version fixed, but until its actually available I reserve judgement.

NCE PowerCab (around £140). Expandable. Handset on the large side and a few button layout issues (a couple of which really annoy me!), but basically well designed with the buttons structured into groups and well sized. Latching/non-latching of function keys is fixed (can be annoying with more complex decoders, particularly sound). Really needs the optional £20 "Smart switch" adding to prevent 're-programming everything' mistakes. Support tends to refer you to the US.

Digitrax Zephyr Xtra* (around £160). Highly expandable through LocoNet, supported by both Digitrax and third-party suppliers. Desk based system with nice speed and direction control levers. Additional roving handsets can be added quite cheaply. Buttons a bit small and "1980's" in feel. Lacks indication of which loco functions are active (annoying for some users, particularly sound, irrelevant to other users). Latching/non-latching of function keys is fixed (can be annoying with more complex decoders, particularly sound). Support in UK is good from some dealers, others have a habit of referring you to the US.

Gaugemaster Prodigy range. Gaugemaster re-badging of MRC product from USA. A few versions available with different capabilities. Very limited expansion. Whilst superficially similar to PowerCab handset, the feel is very different as the position of the speed control is in a different place (arguably worse on the Gaugemaster) and the display is clearer than the PowerCab. Buttons not as well grouped as PowerCab. Latching/non-latching of function keys is fixed (can be annoying with more complex decoders, particularly sound). Support in UK is excellent (for Gaugemaster hardware!), repairs are quick and often free even when caused by user-abuse.

Roco Multimaus. (Around £100) Almost disappeared from shops now, but a few still available. Expandable (compatible with Lenz hardware). Easy to use. Handset supports a named loco roster, with control of which keys are latching/non-latching. Support is OK, though reading German does help.
Roco z21/Z21. New system with two versions (capital and lower case Z) offering different amounts of expansion. Requires a smartphone (Android or Apple) as the throttle. Being all software its highly customisable, with photos of locos, icons for each feature. Can even have a loco cab layout and a camera showing live driver's view of the layout ahead with the controls positioned around the cab! I think its still a "work in progress" bit of software, so expect a few annoyances. But its almost certainly the way many systems will go in the future.

Uhlenbrock Daisy II System* (around £210 for system). Very nice compact handset introduced in 2014. Supports named loco roster, individual icons for all functions, control of latching/non-latching keys for each loco. Highly Expandable. Support good through UK importer (A&H in Northants, who have numerous videos explaining the system) and a handful of dealers, though maker is primarily German speaking. Runs LocoNet, so a fair bit of third-party equipment is available, and is mostly compatible with Digitrax LocoNet hardware.

MERG CBUS system (around £100 to get enough kits to build DCC system). DIY system which you assemble from a kit of parts. Very expandable. Need to join MERG. Really nice handset (I'd put it second to the Uhlenbrock Daisy II, and much nicer than many others). Support for builders is good, those who get stuck often receive offers of individual help, diagnostics, etc..
But, needs someone who has the right electronics mindset. As a comparison, would you recommend a Finney A3 kit to a typical Hornby OO modeller ? I think MERG is a bit similar, right mindset and its brilliant, but if you don't have that then its going to be a nightmare.

I've probably missed something, but that might give you a list to think about.

(* I've used a Zephyr for years, though my preferred mobile handsets are Uhlenbrock - I recently sold my Digitrax DT402D handset. I use a Fred handset and am thinking of adding a Daisy II handset. My decision to go for a Zephyr was in part due to LocoNet and its expandability. Were I looking to start again and staying below £250, I'd be choosing between Daisy II and MERG. ).

- Nigel

Thanks Nigel,

That is really helpful. I am aiming to model the Midland Railway pre 1903 on the peak district line ... so relatively small steam locos and pre grouping rolling stock etc. Would that effect any of your thoughts above if you were me? I suspect purely from an expense standpoint that points and accessories will be DC.

Tim
Tim Lee

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:28 pm

Tim,

if accessories (turnouts, signals, uncoupling magnets) are not controlled by DCC, then any of the systems will be fine. Expansion is probably not a big issues for you, except perhaps ensuring that you can fit an adequate number of handsets. Total current might be an issue, depends how many locos are moving at one time, but if its a "one/two operator small layout" then current won't be an issue. For smaller locos, I'd estimate 0.33A per loco moving at a time, and expect to have bags of spare current at that estimate. So, the dominant factor ought to be how well the device works with your hands.

I think the bigger issue will be choice of decoders, and possibly finding space for "stay alive" units inside the smaller locos with fewer wheels to pickup (this makes a dramatic difference if done well). But to begin with, the advice from someone else to get a mid-range and a top-of-range decoder to see how you get on is good.

A minor issue might be computer interface for setting up (programming) decoders. I find that extremely useful compared to typing in dozens of CV values. Others seem content to punch in numbers on keypads. I think every system I discussed can have a computer interface added for that purpose.

- Nigel

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:12 pm

Hi Nigel,

Which if any of these systems allows for a small hand-held preferably wireless controller with only a speed control knob and a reversing switch? All pushing of buttons, entering of codes, etc. to be done on a conventional looking control panel / lever frame? Possibly only the MERG system?

I want a handheld controller which I never have to look at -- my concentration being on the trains, signals, and levers.

As I understand it, DCC is always controller-centric. In other words you start with a controller and specify which locomotive it will be controlling.

I would much prefer a locomotive-centric system. In other words you start with a locomotive and specify which controller will be controlling it. Each locomotive would have in effect its own set of buttons somewhere. This is closer to DC thinking, where different control areas are switched to a controller at the panel, not on the controller. It is more railwaylike for the signallers and Control to control railway operations, rather than locomotive drivers.

regards,

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:26 pm

Martin Wynne wrote:Hi Nigel,

Which if any of these systems allows for a small hand-held preferably wireless controller with only a speed control knob and a reversing switch? All pushing of buttons, entering of codes, etc. to be done on a conventional looking control panel / lever frame? Possibly only the MERG system?

Martin,
None as far as I know meet your entire specification.

Years ago, possibly the first DCC system I operated, used an Uhlenbrock Intellibox as the "central brains" and a number of Fremo Fred handsets (DIY versions which Uhlenbrock later commercialised). This was close to what you describe, but wired handsets. The Fred has speed knob, direction, and about six buttons to control functions (lights, etc), which were mostly ignored for this particular layout. The owner of the layout had about five Fred handsets, and at the start of a session would allocate a single loco to each Fred, then the Intellibox was not touched again. If you wanted the "blue 0-6-0", you looked for the Fred which had the words "blue 0-6-0" written on the masking tape stuck to the back of it, plug in that handset and drive. Want a different loco, find the appropriate Fred for it.

So, a Fred handset comes close, but is wired. Those work with either Uhlenbrock central systems (Daisy II, Intellibox II, etc), or with Digitrax systems (Zephyr, Chief, etc.), and probably work with Hans De Loof's DIY command station. In fact, Hans De Loof's command station and a few Fred's would be very close to your description, save for the wireless requirement.

Fred's are fine, but they are now getting a little old in design, so only support up to 8 functions. Whilst there is a commercial version from Uhlenbrock, the kit form versions are, I think, nicer to hold. Peter Giling offers the slightly later Fredii (Fred v2) in kit form via the RocRail software project, under Euro-40 each.

Next option may be a Digitrax UT4D handset. This is small, wireless, with a speed knob and direction switch. But, it also has a few fiddly little dials to initially select the locomotive under control, plus a few fiddly little buttons for functions (lights, sounds, etc.). Needs a Digitrax command station and a wireless base unit.
Or small handset from NCE which partner's their ProCab base station. But not legally wireless in UK/Europe, only wired.

With MERG you could, in theory, design a handset which meets your specification. But, the current kit isn't wireless and has a number of loco selection buttons on it, etc... There is someone working on a wireless version, but how long that would take to appear is unknown.

If the requirements are relaxed a little, and you have "select loco on handset", but everything else is done away from the handset on some sort of central device, then there are lots of options. My personal preference is for simple handsets, which is one of the reasons I rate both the MERG and DaisyII handsets. Yes, they have loco selection, and you can do some advanced things with them, but for the job of driving a locomotive they are very simple to use by feel, without having to keep looking at them. DaisyII comes optionally wireless (so called "Daisy II Funk").

- Nigel

Noel

Postby Noel » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:35 pm

Le Corbusier wrote:I am aiming to model the Midland Railway pre 1903 on the peak district line ... so relatively small steam locos and pre grouping rolling stock etc.

You don't say whether a branch or the main line? presumably, if the latter, everything will have to be double headed in typical Midland style? Again, if so, it may impact on your overall power requirements.

Noel
Regards
Noel

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:22 am

Noel wrote:You don't say whether a branch or the main line? presumably, if the latter, everything will have to be double headed in typical Midland style? Again, if so, it may impact on your overall power requirements.

Noel

Noel,

At the moment I am thinking of Rowsley ... station/shed/etc with a linear layout. I am going to concentrate on the local traffic etc. I have to date a fair few images of smaller passenger trains alongside the goods and shunting .... pulling the 6 wheel clayton coaches through to Buxton ... it is this I am going to concentrate on I think.

Tim
Tim Lee

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:24 am

nigelcliffe wrote:A minor issue might be computer interface for setting up (programming) decoders. I find that extremely useful compared to typing in dozens of CV values. Others seem content to punch in numbers on keypads. I think every system I discussed can have a computer interface added for that purpose.

An alternative to interfacing your 'main system' to the computer for programming is to buy a SPROG (www.sprog-dcc.co.uk), to interface from a computer USB port to a piece of handy track. Together with JMRI, you can have a GUI based CV programming system for under 50 quid.

Return to “DCC”