Positioning Decoders

Discuss your experiences with systems, decoders, installations, wiring, control and any general hints & tips you have found.
Lindsay G

Positioning Decoders

Postby Lindsay G » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:06 pm

I'm now at the stage of considering final positioning of decoders and other bits and bobs in a tank engine and the resultant positioning of lead weighting (subject of another thread just started). My favoured option is to have the lead against the outer walls of the tank and the decoders (well decoder initially but provision made for the addition of a sound board) above below or around the motor.

DCC is one of the next learning curves to be ascended, so right now I'm rather ignorant of whether there are pros and cons to positioning decoders near or even against the motor. The tanks on the engine are pretty long so I feel as if I've got enough room to consider several arrangements. I would prefer to have all the electrical gubbins situated on the chassis so that nothing has to be unplugged when removing the body.

What might the DCC gurus suggest?

Lindsay

Tim V

Re: Positioning Decoders

Postby Tim V » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:33 pm

The recommendation would be to keep the decoder away from the motor - due to the heat from the motor.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Return to “DCC”