RJ12 cable for Digitrax loco bus

Discuss your experiences with systems, decoders, installations, wiring, control and any general hints & tips you have found.
ken kirk

RJ12 cable for Digitrax loco bus

Postby ken kirk » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:19 pm

Eyup!
Does anyone know where I can obtain the above cable and connectors please?
These are 6 way cables as opposed to 4 way. I also need good quality crimpers to optimise good connections.
I'm building a large-ish layout so need to cut costs where I can.
Hope someone can indicate a suitable source.
Regards,
Ken Kirk

DougN

Re: RJ12 cable for Digitrax loco bus

Postby DougN » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:35 am

I have just had this problem here in Australia. I needed a cable to connect a PR3 to the Loconet. I went to a "Dick Smith" which is a local Electrical bits and now whitegoods retailer. The best I could get was the connectors but no cable and certainly no pre-made cables with the 6 contacts. Heap with 4 and 2 but none with 6. So now I need to purchase the tool and the 6 core wire! (I have since found that I already had a 30cm connector in a Digitrax box so it is not an urgent activity any more.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:56 am

ken kirk wrote:Eyup!
Does anyone know where I can obtain the above cable and connectors please?
These are 6 way cables as opposed to 4 way. I also need good quality crimpers to optimise good connections.
I'm building a large-ish layout so need to cut costs where I can.
Hope someone can indicate a suitable source.
Regards,
Ken Kirk

Ready built, I think DCC dealers such as DCC-Supplies offer them.

In part form. The connectors are available from Rapid Electronics, and I guess also Farnell, RS, etc..(usually described as 6/6 connectors, rather than 6/4, etc.). They will also sell the crimping/closure tools. I've bought cable from Maplin in the past, but its fairly expensive if wanting "lots" - I only required about 6m, so it wasn't a huge expense. I am not sure who carries that, guess at Farnell or RS, Rapid (my local shop) appear not to list it.

I've successfully closed/crimped the cables with a couple of screwdrivers and the plug held in a vice. It takes time, but I don't think they are any different to ones closed with a cable crimper.

Hans De Loof lists a multi-way port for splitting/concentrating LocoNet cables (Buy it through the model shop which sells his LocoNet electronics kits).

- Nigel

ken kirk

Postby ken kirk » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:42 pm

Thanks chaps.
I looked the sources suggested, , but Googled everything relevant and came up with Lindy of Teeside. http://www.lindy.com
I ordered the following: item no 62202. 6 pin RJ12 Connector male, crimp type. Pack of 10 @ £1.99 x3
43228. RJ12 cable. 6WRJ12P/6WRJ12P. 20 metre length @ £12.49 x1
34227. RJ12 cable. 6WRJ12P/6WRJ12P. 15 metre length @ £9.99 x1
These come with connectors on each end so it saves a little bit of work!

I chose a good quality crimping tool as all the articles I have read strongly advise this. It turned out to be the most expensive bit.
43216 Combo Crimp Tool.For RJ11/12/45 and DEC Crimps. £51.39
I bought this lot before the VAT went up and was part of my "VAT Bashing" policy last year to cut costs.
Despite going infra red and considering RC, I still feel safer if I am near a terminal to plug into, hence the ammounts bought.

i hope this is of help to others who might be considering using Digitrax or NCE.
Regards,
Ken

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:36 pm

Are all six wires used?
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:22 pm

Tim V wrote:Are all six wires used?

Yes on LocoNet back-bones, though fewer are required to throttles.
I don't know the answer for other systems which use the same connectors.

- Nigel

Return to “DCC”