De-activating Cobalt iP Digital motors

Discuss your experiences with systems, decoders, installations, wiring, control and any general hints & tips you have found.
Sapper

De-activating Cobalt iP Digital motors

Postby Sapper » Sat May 29, 2021 11:01 am

Hello

Can anyone help me please as I am at a complete standstill attempting to de-activate a 'serviced' Cobalt motor, and must admit being somewhat of a novice with DCC. I am using a Gaugemaster Prodigy control system and have followed the instructions from Gaugemaster and from DCC Concepts (which differ slightly) and also from a Brian Lambert video showing exactly how to do this with no success. Having spoken to Gaugemaster in case the controller was faulty; they said it was unlikely as I can programme loco de-coders and operate the existing Cobalts on my layout satisfactorily. When attempting this work the motor was connected to the Prodigy control by an independent circuit. The original track installation was carried out professionally when the Cobalts were initially set up but sadly the person concerned has passed away so I cannot progress any more in that direction.

This particular motor has been returned to DCC, together with a new one they supplied, both of which I could not de-activate, and they were returned 'serviced' and I have only attempted to use one of them without success.

I am enquiring if any member who uses a Prodigy system would be prepared to try and de-activate one or both motors and give an address to them. By using an independent system it should tell me whether the Cobalts are still faulty or whether my Prodigy system in at fault. I would, of course pay all expenses and postage and accept full responsibility for the motors.

If there is anybody out there who would be prepared to help then it would be much appreciated.

Regards

Sapper

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: De-activating Cobalt iP Digital motors

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat May 29, 2021 12:05 pm

Why would you want to de-activate them?
Do you actually men to say set up the addresses?
They should work on the default address before you start to alter it. I think.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Sapper

Postby Sapper » Sat May 29, 2021 2:59 pm

Hello Grosvenor
I mean de-activating the self-centering position in which the motors are supplied to enable installation of them to be easier. By de-activating them one can operate the motor so that it always closes in either the main road or branch depending on the controls.

The motors after de-activating require having an address entered with which I am also finding impossible to do.

Hope this clarifies my problem.

Many thanks

Sapper

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Sat May 29, 2021 4:11 pm

If I understand DCC Concepts longwinded and not that informative instructions, the motors have a self-centering mode, set by sending a turnout (accessory) address to them.

The DCC Concepts manuals says this self-centering is activated by address 199, and deactivated by address 198.
So, the process to de-activate is:
1 - on the turnout motor, put the switch into the "set" position. Somewhere on the left of the PCB. (I assume the switch is obvious, because its not illustrated in the longwinded manual).
2 - send a turnout instruction from the Prodigy for address 198, with the turnout set to either "straight" or "thrown". Repeat this a few times.
3 - on the turnout motor, put the switch into the "not set" (run?) position.
4 - power-off the cobalt motor (disconnect it), and it should remember what its now doing.

If step (2) doesn't work, then my guess its the good-old NMRA accessory addressing standards mess, so try addresses 194 and 202 to see if they have any affect.

The Set switch is also used to program the motor with an address.... Same process:
1 - on the cobalt motor, put switch to "set"
2 - on Prodigy, operate turnout number desired to be used, throwing the turnout left/right. Do this several times.
3 - on the cobalt motor, return switch to "not set" (run?) position.
4 - power-off the cobalt motor, then reconnect and it should now be programmed with new address.

Sapper

Postby Sapper » Sun May 30, 2021 11:12 am

Nigel
Many thanks for the reply, however, a small query. You say in Step 2 send an address for 198, with the turnout set to either straight or thrown. The motor is not fixed to the track i.e. free standing so how can this be done? Do I put in 198, enter, then 1 to select straight followed by enter?

Sorry to appear a bit dim but I have carried out the procedure as above and the motor is not responding.

Regards

Sapper

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Sun May 30, 2021 1:02 pm

Hi Sapper,

Attach leads to you track and the other ends to the power in terminals of your Cobalt should work.

Robin

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Sun May 30, 2021 4:24 pm

Sapper wrote:Nigel
Many thanks for the reply, however, a small query. You say in Step 2 send an address for 198, with the turnout set to either straight or thrown. The motor is not fixed to the track i.e. free standing so how can this be done? Do I put in 198, enter, then 1 to select straight followed by enter?

Sorry to appear a bit dim but I have carried out the procedure as above and the motor is not responding.

The motor needs DCC power from somewhere to do anything. But that's all it needs, two wires from the Prodigy track output to the Cobalt is sufficient for testing/ setup.

Yes, to do step2, select turnouts(accessories) on the prodigy, then address 198, and whatever is done to throw the turnout straight/thrown (DCC Concepts say do this a few times to be sure it works).

Sapper

Postby Sapper » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:10 am

To all those who contacted me.
Thank you for your responses and I am pleased to say that through the good offices of a member of the Glevum Group I have now had both Cobalts re-programmed.

I would add that as a newcomer to DCC it is more than a bit confusing when you have differing, and in some cases insufficient instructions from the manufacturers to work out what to do.

Now to do some running.

Regards

Sapper

Return to “DCC”