Miniature clothes pegs

Products you use that you would like to recommend.
Paul Willis
Forum Team

Miniature clothes pegs

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:23 pm

This recommendation is something that I've seen mentioned in passing (by me, as it happens), but I felt after a recent experience at Missenden, I should share these more widely.

I had Pete Brownlow sitting next to me for the weekend, in the "4mm kit building" group. Pete's a really clever chap, and one of the leading lights in MERG. In this case though, he was building some modern BR coaches, to make up a set representing the Royal Train. No, I've no idea what they are specifically. It's modern stuff, isn't it.

The coaches Pete was modifying used one of the modern RTR models as their basis, with the detail smoothed off and then etched brass overlays glued over the side. It was how to achieve this, and to hold the brass in place whilst the glue set that we bounced some ideas off each other. I remembered that in my Soldering drawer I had a small box of miniature clothes pegs. I use them for holding parts together prior to soldering. They make an effective third hand. Here's one being used for that purpose;

Missenden Mar 20 (15).JPG

The other great thing about them is that as they are cheap and cheerful, with a sharp scalpel you can modify the ends to fit or hold exactly what you need:

IMG_6289.JPG

Having introduced Pete to these, he wanted to know where to get them from. The first place I found these miniature clothes pegs was at Hobby Holidays. They were sold by the dozen, and I'd bought a couple of packets, which now live in the "soldering" drawer of my toolbox. A quick look online, but although they were listed, they were out of stock. So Pete suggested looking at Amazon...

And it was simple to find these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07194RTYM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A bag of 100 pegs for less than the price of a pint. I hit <buy> and a few days later this turned up in the post:

IMG_6286.JPG

So I now have a lifetime's supply of the things. No need to worry about hacking them around or burning them beyond redemption.

Recommended...

Cheers
Flymo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

David B

Re: Miniature clothes pegs

Postby David B » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:51 pm

You can also try reversing the jaws in the spring:
Peg.jpg

It requires a degree of dexterity but will keep you either happy or frustrated for ages, but then we do have the time!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Neil Smith

Re: Miniature clothes pegs

Postby Neil Smith » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:02 pm

And Eileens do them - though not in such large quantities! 6 for 50p. Which is probably enough for most projects.. Two of them came in very handy today..

All the best

Neil

Return to “Recommendations”