Mashima motors and the future

Products you use that you would like to recommend.
grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: Mashima motors and the future

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:16 pm

Mike Edge shows a variety of different motors in this topic. You will have to look through to find them!
https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/146364-michael-edges-workbench/
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Winander

Postby Winander » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:33 pm

I had a concern regarding coreless motors and there unsuitability with worm drives discussed here in Dec 2017 https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5651. Needless to say, Chris has addressed the issue and I quote from his website:

HLPower Coreless Motors are precision engineered pieces, manufactured to the highest standards. Made to our own specifications, they'll bolt straight onto our gearboxes, with bearings designed to withstand the longitudinal loads associated with worm drives.
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:00 am

Remember that Chris is also doing non-coreless versions of motors.

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:29 am

I've never been completely comfortable with a worm on the shaft of a Mashima although I doubt it results in any damage. Endfloat appears to be controlled by an internal bowed washer which pushes the shaft one way, a standard method I would expect. When the worm drives against this spring the position of the shaft becomes unstable. This can be controlled externally but it's not easy and I've had motors slow as they warm up....which warms them more ...... and causes much more discomfort! Another reason for bunging the motor in the tender.

It would be nice to have a bit more data on the new motors - no of poles, torque, rpm, current, continuous rating, etc. Wasn't much of the Mashima data determined experimentally by someone in the EM soc and published finally by Branchlines? Am I recalling a 'Constructor article?

Pity the double shafts have gone. Although a flywheel is contrary to the reason for picking a coreless motor it was a useful option when trying to shift a drive resonance.

DaveB

Noel

Postby Noel » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:05 am

davebradwell wrote:Wasn't much of the Mashima data determined experimentally by someone in the EM soc and published finally by Branchlines?

J D Smith of Weybridge produced a considerable number of analyses of various types of motors, which were published in the EMGS manual.
Regards
Noel

BryanJohnson

Postby BryanJohnson » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:08 am

Clicking on the "Quick view" for a motor then on "View More Details" will give some specifications, e.g. for the 1219 coreless:
Motor shaft diameter - 1.5mm
Motor screw pitch - 8.5mm
Max power - 1.7W
Max RPM (free) - 17,000
Stall torque - 3.7 mNm

A summary table for all motors would be a useful addition.

Bryan

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:24 am

Thank you - I'm sure I tried that - obviously finger trouble! It isn't clear if max power is input or output, though.... and what about the secret number of poles?

One thing is certain, Chris will have done his best to find us some decent motors that are affordable.

DaveB

Return to “Recommendations”