Can anyone recommend a kit for a 16xx tank?

Products you use that you would like to recommend.
MarcD

Can anyone recommend a kit for a 16xx tank?

Postby MarcD » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:19 pm

Having read that it's impossible to convert the Rapido RTR 16xx can anyone recommend a kit for one?
If there is nothing out there I do have a full set of GAs so I will scratch build one or two.
www.pregroupingrailways.com for everything built before 1923

Jeremy Good

Re: Can anyone recommend a kit for a 16xx tank?

Postby Jeremy Good » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:26 pm

Marc,

There is one available under the Nu-Cast Partners banner which is a white metal body and a nickel silver etched chassis. Available from Branchlines.

Jeremy

MarcD

Postby MarcD » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:55 pm

Sounds good I will give them a look
www.pregroupingrailways.com for everything built before 1923

Pannier Tank

Postby Pannier Tank » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:37 pm

MarcD wrote:Having read that it's impossible to convert the Rapido RTR 16xx can anyone recommend a kit for one?
If there is nothing out there I do have a full set of GAs so I will scratch build one or two.

It might not be easy but it has been done. Have you seen this topic https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7398&p=85906&hilit=16xx#p82605 ?
Regards

David

Noel

Postby Noel » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:04 pm

Jeremy Good wrote:There is one available under the Nu-Cast Partners banner which is a white metal body and a nickel silver etched chassis. Available from Branchlines.

The whitemetal body kit originated in a Sutherland kit a good few years ago now, so I don't know about its current quality, but the original was good. The chassis is later and designed by Justin Newitt of Rumney Models.
Regards
Noel

whitleypump

Postby whitleypump » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:37 pm

The new chassis etches also include some body details to replace some of the whitemetal components, for example sections of the rear of the cab and window grills.

The Sutherland/Cotswold era version of the kit does turn up on eBay occasionally. They have some nice little touches like the back of the smokebox is included as a component with the ends of the flues modelled.

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:57 am

Pannier Tank wrote:
MarcD wrote:Having read that it's impossible to convert the Rapido RTR 16xx can anyone recommend a kit for one?

It might not be easy but it has been done. Have you seen this topic https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7398&p=85906&hilit=16xx#p82605 ?

It was a challenge and would've been much easier had I done things in the right order...."Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order" as was famously once said!

The end result was that It performs very well.
John

Noel

Postby Noel » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:37 am

whitleypump wrote:The Sutherland/Cotswold era version of the kit does turn up on eBay occasionally.

Bear in mind that the original chassis is one piece brass...
Regards
Noel

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:57 pm

Did Peter K make one?
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Noel

Postby Noel » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:23 pm

Hardwicke wrote:Did Peter K make one?

I think the only GWR loco he did was the 1361 saddle tank, the chassis of which can also be used for a 1366 [as Iain Rice did].
Regards
Noel

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:32 pm

I had a Sutherland kit/body for some years in a 'raw' state. The solid brass chassis was ditched (I still have it somewhere!) and I built a fully compensated one with Sharman wheels that never really worked. When the Branchlines/SEFinecast one was announced a few years ago I bought the chassis and it worked out very well. I had to buy some AG wheels as I couldn't get the old Sharman wheels to grip the axle once they had been removed from the old chassis. The 'new' loco turned out very well and I am pleased with it. Powered by a Mashima/High Level combination, it is pleasantly heavy without any added weight and will pull anything I'm likely to put behind it!

16xx Branchlines chassis.1.A.jpg

16xx Built.1.A.jpg

BTW, an old friend of mine, BITD, machined his solid chassis to be fully compensated - but it still wasn't a good runner!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:37 pm

Can I ask, if your options are rapido or scratchbuild why are you so confident converting the rapido one will be impossible?
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:59 am

Noel wrote:
Hardwicke wrote:Did Peter K make one?

I think the only GWR loco he did was the 1361 saddle tank, the chassis of which can also be used for a 1366 [as Iain Rice did].

I knew there was a connection !
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:33 pm

jim s-w wrote:

Can I ask, if your options are rapido or scratchbuild why are you so confident converting the rapido one will be impossible?

You might want to ask Captain Kernow what he discovered when he had a go.

It's a 16xx model, Jim, but not as we know it...
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:15 pm

Horsetan wrote:
jim s-w wrote:

You might want to ask Captain Kernow what he discovered when he had a go.

It's a 16xx model, Jim, but not as we know it...

I know my friend John has converted a Rapido one to P4, but this was simply (!!) a case of removal of the OO wheels and substituting some P4 ones (he used Ultrascale LNER 4' 0" ones, as the correct GWR ones aren't made by Ultrascale (Gibsons would be an alternative).

However, the above conversion relies on the Rapido mechanism working OK, something that I have not found to be the case in every Rapido model that I've bought so far (and they've all gone back or been sold on).

My preference, when converting RTR to P4, is to use a chassis, gearbox and motor of my choice. This is relatively straightforward with the likes of Bachmann, of course.

With the Rapido 16XX some of the individual body components actually form part of the 'chassis' as well. In other words, there is no simply way of separating body from chassis, they are (almost) the same thing!

In order to arrive at a situation where you have a separate Rapido 16XX body, under which you can then put an etched chassis of your choice, you have to virtually dismantle the body down to it's individual components, saw up the single casting that is the lower smokebox, lower boiler and lower firebox into three parts, reuse the smokebox part and probably fabricate your own lower boiler part and two firebox sides.

I found it far, far easier to simply build the whitemetal kit! (I also had an older Cotswold kit, which I paired up with the Nu Cast Partners chassis).

The Cotswold kit was recently reintroduced by Nu Cast Partners as a complete kit, featuring the new Justin Newitt chassis, but since the recent retirement of Dave Ellis (of SE Finecast), Brian at Branchlines has currently no way of replacing the whitemetal component of the kits. He told me recently that one or two kits had sold out, the 16XX being one of them.

The chassis is still available, as far as I know and it is easy enough to pair that with an original Cotswold body, if you can find one on Ebay or the like.
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:40 pm

Captain Kernow wrote:...The Cotswold kit was recently reintroduced by Nu Cast Partners as a complete kit, featuring the new Justin Newitt chassis, but since the recent retirement of Dave Ellis (of SE Finecast), Brian at Branchlines has currently no way of replacing the whitemetal component of the kits. ....

Time for an all etched body? :mrgreen:
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:41 am

Horsetan wrote:
Captain Kernow wrote:...The Cotswold kit was recently reintroduced by Nu Cast Partners as a complete kit, featuring the new Justin Newitt chassis, but since the recent retirement of Dave Ellis (of SE Finecast), Brian at Branchlines has currently no way of replacing the whitemetal component of the kits. ....

Time for an all etched body? :mrgreen:

You might have thought so, Ivan, but to my knowledge no one has produced an etched pannier kit in years, because the basic dimensions of most RTR ones are so good.
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

Return to “Recommendations”