New kits from London Road Models

If you are making something new or have found something, announce it here.
Jol Wilkinson

New kits from London Road Models

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:34 am

London Road Models have introduced two new 4mm loco kits

These are for the LNER J1 (GNR J26) 0-6-0 and the LNER J7 (GNR J9). Both kits have been designed and developed by Frank Davies for the Shipley Model Railway Society’s Clayton layout. Etched in nickel silver and brass the kits include cast brass and white metal fittings, nuts, bolts bearings, wire, etc. Motor, gearbox and wheels are required to complete the model to 00, EM or P4 gauge as preferred. Their design differs in some ways from a traditional LRM kits as Frank has designed these to meet his own requirements. Each kit is priced at £125:00.

Fifteen of the J1 class, designed by Ivatt, were introduced in 1908 for use on fast goods services and passenger duties. The last was withdrawn in 1954, by which time they had been used widely over the LNER and BR(E) area. The boilers were interchangeable with several other classes of locomotives and during their working lives the boilers and fittings changed. While the kit covers the major changes, not all options (alternate castings, etc.) could be economically provided in the kit although these are available separately from LRM.

The Stirling designed J7 class was introduced in 1896, to handle freight in the West riding of Yorkshire. Over time they received different boilers and Ivatt style cabs. All these options are included in the kit. The last J7 was withdrawn in 1936.

Also new is an etched 4mm nickel silver chassis kit to fit the Barton-Wright "Ironclad" Class 25 0-6-0.

This is designed solely for 18.83 gauge , incorporating CSB suspension for both the loco and tender. The chassis etch folds up for ease of assembly and accuracy. Both loco and tender etched chassis are provided, together with brake gear, etc. Nuts, bolts, wire and High Level Hornblocks are included. Price £52:20

London Road Models can be contacted at;

London Road Models
PO Box 643
Watford
Herts
WD18 6ZU

londonroadmodels@btinternet.com

Will L

Re: New kits from London Road Models

Postby Will L » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:20 pm

Jol Wilkinson wrote:... the LNER J1 (GNR J26) 0-6-0 and the LNER J7 (GNR J9). Both kits have been designed and developed by Frank Davies for the Shipley Model Railway Society’s Clayton layout. Their design differs in some ways from a traditional LRM kits as Frank has designed these to meet his own requirements.

Joel.
it would be interesting to know in what way as I'm always interested to see if somebody has though of a better way to do things. Not that I'm likely to buy on of these kits I'm afraid, so I wont be upset if you chose to ignore me.

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:34 pm

Will,

I have to say that I am not too sure. John Redrup asked me to add that as he thinks that the kits, based on feedback on the Q1 and Q2 kits which Frank also designed, are rather more detailed and complicated than most of the LRM kits (possibly except for the LNWR Teutonic which has working Joy outside valve gear).

I think it is simply a question of what is involved in a straightforward kit without detailed inside valve gear, etc. which is what many LRM kits are.

Jol

Crepello

Postby Crepello » Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:11 am

You may be able to glean details from Frank's workbench thread on RMWeb:
https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/160527-chuffers-workbench/
Certainly, his design philosophy comes across.

Return to “New Products”